• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hypothetical situation/what if

tjkruck

Ok ive wondered. Let's say you/I and your/my family is on a walk, minding my/your own business when a nasty dog is snarling and barking at you when all the sudden charges at you/me/family member. In a threatening manner, could be a stray could be a domesticated What would/could you do?

I have a 2 year old little girl and the other night I had this dream where she was attacked in this manner, it has been on my mind, do I have to wait for something to happen???? Now obviously this would be like a big dog...

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The road to hell is paved with what-ifs, as I taught my daughter now doctor.

The closest that I have come to drawing in about twenty years of gun carry was due to dogs running at my daughter and her mother. About the time I had my hand on the grip their demeanor changed from pack to tongue-lolling and greeting.

I would not hesitate to kill any beast. The law might frown on discharge of a gun in your community and the owner might try action for tort loss of his beast. SCROOM It is a beast at large.

Making man and beast somehow equivalent is a much shorter road to hell than asking "what-if."

sawah

WHY would you want to expend a bullet on a quickly moving target with only limited hope that a firing solution would solve your dilemma. ALWAYS carry a stick or an umbrella when going for a walk where there are dogs. A dog will see a stick and unless he's in a pack, will back off. Open an umbrella in the path of a charging dog and he will back off immediately. Bullets cost money - every bullet has a lawyer attached - FORGET that at your peril. You risk missing the dog, wounding the dog (you pay vet bills), shooting yourself in the leg. IN ADDITION, do you have time to put on hearing protection? NO. So trade your hearing to scare off a dog that is probably fake charging you? Stupid, negligent.

So, in balance, the OP might be an idiot not to have at least intuited this last point, I'm not sure. We've had a lot of 'what if' idiots posting here lately. :)

Last edited:

tjkruck

what happend to respect for the individual

WHY would you want to expend a bullet on a quickly moving target with only limited hope that a firing solution would solve your dilemma. ALWAYS carry a stick or an umbrella when going for a walk where there are dogs. A dog will see a stick and unless he's in a pack, will back off. Open an umbrella in the path of a charging dog and he will back off immediately. Bullets cost money - every bullet has a lawyer attached - FORGET that at your peril. You risk missing the dog, wounding the dog (you pay vet bills), shooting yourself in the leg. IN ADDITION, do you have time to put on hearing protection? NO. So trade your hearing to scare off a dog that is probably fake charging you? Stupid, negligent.

So, in balance, the OP might be an idiot not to have at least intuited this last point, I'm not sure. We've had a lot of 'what if' idiots posting here lately. :)

i made my question clear "what could/would you do" you say what about hearing protection, so when you carry you have hearing protection on in case you may need to defend yourself from an attacking individual, and as well you say a quickly moving target "hold on mister i have to put in hearing protection before i shoot you, and could you please stand still" , and a large dog could attack my daughter and kill her, i would rather pay vet bills than bury my little girl.

remember Matthew 7:1-5:

1. Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. 2. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.

3. And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? 4. How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? 5. Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.

even if you don't believe in god it still holds true in the real life

thanks

Last edited:

sawah

3. And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? 4. How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? 5. Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.

even if you don't believe in god it still holds true in the real life

thanks

I have no respect for a person who is seeking permission to kill a defenseless animal. I have no respect for a person who is so foolish as to expend a round in a high chaos situation where they might harm another. I have little respect for those who can't take criticism when they should realize that their position is foolish and untenable. You, sir, should not have a firearm if you have to ask questions such as these.

tjkruck

I have no respect for a person who is seeking permission to kill a defenseless animal. I have no respect for a person who is so foolish as to expend a round in a high chaos situation where they might harm another. I have little respect for those who can't take criticism when they should realize that their position is foolish and untenable. You, sir, should not have a firearm if you have to ask questions such as these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

look at the ages of people attacked dude, id say alot of them were defenseless

remember when someone is attacking/shooting at you THAT IS ALSO A HIGH CHAOS SITUATION THAT MAY HARM ANOTHER

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

We've actually covered this senerio on another Texas CC board. Basicly, Texas law says you can use deadly force in defense against 'the threat of grave bodily harm and or death.' That statute says NOTHING limiting that to only 2 legged threats. And, yes, I have drawn in this kind of situation. Two dogs came charging at me, I started yelling 'Whoever owns these dogs better come keep them alive!!" Fornunatly, he was in the garage of the house, called off his mutts and was very understanding.

PistolPackingMomma

You sound awfully definitive and judgmental in your response for a situation that has so many variables.

Irish.40

Before you start judging someone, maybe you should do some research on the subject. Here I did it for you, on my phone. It took 2 minutes and a google search. Sorry if the link doesn't work. Again, I'm on my phone.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=347.17&year=2011

Sent from my iPhone

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Before you start judging someone, maybe you should do some research on the subject. Here I did it for you, on my phone. It took 2 minutes and a google search. Sorry if the link doesn't work. Again, I'm on my phone.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=347.17&year=2011

Nice find - the wording is specifically "on target" to this thread. Facts trump feelings.
[h=1]347.17 KILLING DOGS IN CERTAIN CASES.[/h] Any person may kill any dog that the person knows is affected with the disease known as hydrophobia, or that may suddenly attack while the person is peacefully walking or riding and while being out of the enclosure of its owner or keeper, and may kill any dog found killing, wounding, or worrying any horses, cattle, sheep, lambs, or other domestic animals.

sawah

Nice find - the wording is specifically "on target" to this thread. Facts trump feelings.

Though I don't like being charged by dogs, 99% are 'fake charges'. Only pack attacks are to be feared and in that case, more than one dog coming at you, you will not be able to stop it, they are experienced and elusive and you can't hit them.

As to shooting a dog, the ramifications if you guess wrong, miss, hit something else, discharge your firearm in the city, are too high to consider using a firearm as a first choice. Indeed I have to wonder about someone who is PREWARNED there is potential for dog 'attack' by a single dog in the city, and comes here seeking permission to kill the animal. Walk elsewhere, carry mace, carry a stick, use your head. It's violating one of the three S rules to walk where you know a dog might charge your child.

So my point(s) stand. If you know a dog charge is a problem, have non-lethal methods, have tried and true methods with no sequela that will put you in a worse position. Do NOT come to OCDO and ask permission to kill them - that's juvenile. Note I've tried to keep my posts and comments non-personal (a person might be a...), though I was a bit brusque.

I'm outta this thread. Take my advice or wind up in jail for killing someone's pet and wounding a bystander while you swing your firearm around trying to hit a low fast-moving target.

Last edited:

Irish.40

I don't recall anyone asking permission. You seem like an animal lover. I am too, I would do just about anything to not put an animal down. BUT, my family is more valuable to me than any other creature on this planet. If they are in danger, I will not stop until the threat is neutralized.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't recall anyone asking permission. You seem like an animal lover. I am too, I would do just about anything to not put an animal down. BUT, my family is more valuable to me than any other creature on this planet. If they are in danger, I will not stop until the threat is neutralized.
You are correct, there was no such request.

"What if" scenarios draw out both sides of the question - that is the intention of them. Remember too that there is no "one size fits all."

Trying to think out all possible reactions is a good thing. We would do well to not take personal umbrage and stick to pertinent responses.

PistolPackingMomma

Though I don't like being charged by dogs, 99% are 'fake charges'. Only pack attacks are to be feared and in that case, more than one dog coming at you, you will not be able to stop it, they are experienced and elusive and you can't hit them.

Cite please.

(snip) It's violating one of the three S rules to walk where you know a dog might charge your child.

And how does one exactly know every when and where that they might be attacked?

So my point(s) stand. If you know a dog charge is a problem, have non-lethal methods, have tried and true methods with no sequela that will put you in a worse position. Do NOT come to OCDO and ask permission to kill them - that's juvenile. Note I've tried to keep my posts and comments non-personal (a person might be a...), though I was a bit brusque.

So you deciding that the OP shouldn't be armed is non-personal?

I'm outta this thread. Take my advice or wind up in jail for killing someone's pet and wounding a bystander while you swing your firearm around trying to hit a low fast-moving target.

Buh-bye. I won't hold my breath waiting for your cite, either.

j4l

Bingo^.

As to dogs "charging"...99% internet/media myth. End story. Unless rabid, or abused, most, even alledegly "mean" dogs are NOT going to charge or attack anyone without having been provoked or harmed.One thing you never hear in all these "news" stories of kids/people being charged or attacked by dogs is the side of the story those "victims" or families thereof, are never willing to admit- that prior to that attack they were messing with , or doing something to the dog, in the 1st place.

Something to consider: Dogs arent people -they act/operate/function mostly on instinct. They dont wake from a nap, go tooling down the street,thinking "hmm maybe some tasty little rugrat will be out and about to tear the throat out of".
They dont attack anyone out of malice, or for sh*ts and giggles- they do so out of defense for themselves, or for their masters-IF/WHEN they interpret a threat.

Humans, however..well, we all know Humnan nature. And there's no shortage of folks who DO wake up and say "hmm I wonder who I can find today to rob, rape, or kill" Those, are conscious decisions, acted upon by folks of a wicked bent.

A massively displaced concern, this dream, chalk it up to such, and carry on.

Irish.40

Once again, the OP wasn't asking about the probability of such an attack. Just a simple, hypothetical "what would you do?" So, my answer to that original question... Stop the threat regardless of the consequences! My family comes first. I don't understand the confusion on the OP.