• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster for open carry

bp231986

Does the holster have to have a retention system for OCing? I have a Fobus HK1 holster that sorta retains the pistol, what i mean by that is that it will stay in place you can even turn it upside down and shake it, but shake it to hard pistol will come out. Is it LEGAl for me to carry my firearm in this holster when OCing?

Thanks a lot guys!!
Bryan

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
The law requires that the holster have some sort of a safety strap on it if it is to be used for O.C. As long your weapon remains holstered and in complete view of the public, you should be fine.

Uhm, want to cite such a law? I have read every state gun law on the books for MO, most of them more than five times and have never seen such a thing and I have read a great many city ordinances as well never noting anything of the like.

To my knowledge, you can duct tape it to your leg if you want and it remains legal, you can even carry it in your hand, the only problem with carrying it in your hand is depending upon movements, finger placement etc it could become a brandishing charge.

I have open carried for several years and until last year when I got a revolver into the mix, I have NEVER used a strap type holster and have dealt with the police more than once.

I carry a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks IWB holster that has no retention system beyond the tightness of the belt, I have carried XD 5" 45 in the factory, a crossbreed, and a SERPA, same with xd 9 sc, and have never had a gun try and leap for freedom :)

I would highly RECOMMEND a positive retention holster, I use them a lot. Since your firearm is on you for your personal protection, it means you are prepared for being criminally attacked. Since that is the case, then research of how criminals attack has wisdom. The Weaver stance, the draw and fire drills etc are all good, but if you consider your body to have 4 sides, you are only 25% likely to be face on with a criminal in an attack. If you get jumped from behind, attacked from the side or even have to run and fall, you do not want your firearm leaving your person and becoming available to the criminal.

This is why police carry in high level retention holsters, they are very likely to do any of those things on a given day, much more than we are, but that does not change the rules when it happens.

Required by law? Nope
Recommended by many? Yes
Decided by? You, just as it should be sir, just as it should be.

Good luck with your choices and there are a lot of good instructors working at ranges that will give you a lot of feed back, some will even let you try some of theirs at the range to help you make that choice. Most of us have a drawer or two full of crap holsters we bought on the down low cheap side, you never know, you might get a freebie from someone who hates it after purchase, I know I have given a few away.

Any holster, even a retention holster will allow the gun to drop if you shake it hard enough. While a retention holster is recommended for O.C., a holster that has a safety strap on it to keep the gun in place while you're in public is legal for you to use. The law requires that the holster have some sort of a safety strap on it if it is to be used for O.C. As long your weapon remains holstered and in complete view of the public, you should be fine. Of course, I cannot speak for every Police officer you may encounter. And with O.C., you're going to want to review all the laws and ordinances in your area to make sure that you're in complete compliance with the laws if you're going to carry a gun with you.

Cite the Statute please for the law requiring some sort of safety strap for OC or is this just a think so on your part?

No cite, post now deleted, must have been all think so. That is the reason we need cites when quoting laws.

Last edited:

mspgunner

Any holster, even a retention holster will allow the gun to drop if you shake it hard enough. While a retention holster is recommended for O.C., a holster that has a safety strap on it to keep the gun in place while you're in public is legal for you to use. The law requires that the holster have some sort of a safety strap on it if it is to be used for O.C. As long your weapon remains holstered and in complete view of the public, you should be fine. Of course, I cannot speak for every Police officer you may encounter. And with O.C., you're going to want to review all the laws and ordinances in your area to make sure that you're in complete compliance with the laws if you're going to carry a gun with you.

There are "NO" state laws in Missouri that regulate the legal carrying of a weapon open, that is why it is legal. There is a staute that allows it to be prohibited my municipal government. Also, there is to the best of my knowledge a statute regarding "flourish" or "brandish". If I'm wrong please post the statute. Now, there are and always have been a problem with "threatening manner",, or intimidating and carrying a firearm. See the bill that the governor signed and becomes law Aug. 28th, 2012.

See this:

HB 1647 (effective date 28th day of Aug., 2012
"571.037. Any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement, and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, may briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."

OC for ME

yes there is a law.....no cheap azz Chinese made holsters and NO GLITTER or pretty Hello Kitty colors. Other than those three laws you are good to go even with a string (lanyard) that lets your pistola hang from your neck and stuffed in the front of your pants.....just like Eli Wallach in The Good The Bad and the Ugly.

.....http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2324663296/nm0908919

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXldafIl5DQ

Check the 3:01, 5:09, 5:33, 6:42, 7:30, 7:36 marks.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
As others have noted, I don't know of any state which regulates which holster you use. My recommendation? Stay away from generic holsters. Buy a quality holster made SPECIFICALLY for your gun. Some brands you may wish to check out are Galco, Blackhawk, Bianchi, Safariland, I have used numerous holsters from all of those companies without issue. There are many more companies which I'm sure others will mention. Just make sure you are comfortable and practice with whichever holster you choose.

bp231986

Guys your are awesome and thanks for all the replys!! im still pretty new to the whole open carry thing, heck im an armed security guard and i dint even think it was legal to do so until i by mistake stumbled into this website and then i still dint belive it till i talked to my C/O about it and talking to the local PD. Carry safely my brothers!

Last edited:

HighFlyingA380

As you have undoubtedly figured out, no laws regarding carry method.

See this:

HB 1647 (effective date 28th day of Aug., 2012
"571.037. Any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement, and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, may briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."
Am I correct in believing this is a state pre-emption to fix accidental firearm display issues while CC in locations that are OC illegal?

kylemoul

i love blackhawk products as they are pretty durable. i own 2 serpa holsters with level 2 retention, one for a ruger and one for my 1911. they will run 50$ but worth every penny.

personal preference that i wear a holster with some sort of active retention. i would advise you to do the same, but totally up to you.
train yourself with your pistol and holster. you will get very fluent on drawing your weapon.

REALteach4u

I noticed a police officer in Springfield today carrying in a Fobus holster. It immediately made me think of just how easy it would be for one of the felons from Larry Rice's place to get pissed off and just grab his gun. It would be removed with minimal effort. :banghead:

There's a reason I personally prefer to carry with some sort of retention when I OC. Until my Glock has the power of the Lawgiver from Judge Dredd I'll stick to some extra retention equipment for OC'ing.

Last edited:

peterarthur

I really like the function of my Blackhawk Serpa, but the angle adjustment screws keep coming loose, even after using some loctite. If there is a version WITHOUT the screws that allow angle adjustment, get that one. I get tired of my holster starting to wiggle by days end.

OC for ME

As you have undoubtedly figured out, no laws regarding carry method.

Am I correct in believing this is a state pre-emption to fix accidental firearm display issues while CC in locations that are OC illegal?
This may be more of a fix directed towards nitwit cops who are devoid of common sense when some poor shlub is obviously CCing and has a momentary wardrobe malfunction. Or, in other words, a prohibition on cops busting your chops just cuz they or someone else thought that you are actually OCing with extremely lengthy intervals of inadvertant concealment of your firearm.

OC for ME

Guys your are awesome and thanks for all the replys!! im still pretty new to the whole open carry thing, heck im an armed security guard and i dint even think it was legal to do so until i by mistake stumbled into this website and then i still dint belive it till i talked to my C/O about it and talking to the local PD. Carry safely my brothers!
So, the length of sting idea is not gunna work for you?

bp231986

I noticed a police officer in Springfield today carrying in a Fobus holster. It immediately made me think of just how easy it would be for one of the felons from Larry Rice's place to get pissed off and just grab his gun. It would be removed with minimal effort. :banghead:

There's a reason I personally prefer to carry with some sort of retention when I OC. Until my Glock has the power of the Lawgiver from Judge Dredd I'll stick to some extra retention equipment for OC'ing.

Im pretty sure that Fobus does offer a retention line of holsters.

kylemoul

I really like the function of my Blackhawk Serpa, but the angle adjustment screws keep coming loose, even after using some loctite. If there is a version WITHOUT the screws that allow angle adjustment, get that one. I get tired of my holster starting to wiggle by days end.

i have 2 serpa holsters and have 0 problems with any screws...you may want to call blackhawk about it.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
i have 2 serpa holsters and have 0 problems with any screws...you may want to call blackhawk about it.

I am going to have to agree with kylemoul here Pete, I have also gotten two serpa's one for XD and one for 1911 and neither have ever come loose. Also, mine are in a some what recessed pocket so even if they all three came loose, it might wiggle a bit but the cant of the firearm would not change without effort.

I am wondering if there was a design change. I can take a photo of it later this weekend if you like.

Rich

SPOProds

I would imagine he may be talking about the belt slide screws?? Mine come loose as well. Thank good my belt fits the slot perfectly so it didn't really matter

Richieg150

I have a a 1/2 dozen Blackhawk Serpa holsters, and have never had that problem with the screws. Maybe its a case of operator error!!! :p

HighFlyingA380

I'm with the above posters; the design of the Blackhawk angle system makes it so at least two screws must be completely removed and one loosened for the angle to change. Must be some sort of flaw in the position indexers. I personally would like one that didn't have only the 3 positions, but where you could have any angle.