• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knife Question -- Butterfly Knives

Hevymetal

Let me guess, it was explained by a police officer. I say that because spring assisted knives are legal.

Bronson

Actually a firefighter I know who collects knives. He has over 1000, some dating back to WWI. Thought he seemed pretty knowledgable about the subject.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Didn't know the schools were that rough in GR ;)

This one wasn't a school situation. But, I will add that there was an expulsion about 2 years ago where something similar took place; a student was expelled for use of a weapon... he raised his clenched fist while holding a pencil in his hand. It was deemed a "weapon" and he was expelled for 180 days under state law. Sad.

TheQ

This one wasn't a school situation. But, I will add that there was an expulsion about 2 years ago where something similar took place; a student was expelled for use of a weapon... he raised his clenched fist while holding a pencil in his hand. It was deemed a "weapon" and he was expelled for 180 days under state law. Sad.

Was the student being threatened/assaulted?

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Was the student being threatened/assaulted?

Don't know because that is never brought into the discussion. The way the law is written, there is no exception for defense of self. An assault is an assault. Even if I did know, I don't think I would be able to tell you.

TheQ

Don't know because that is never brought into the discussion. The way the law is written, there is no exception for defense of self. An assault is an assault. Even if I did know, I don't think I would be able to tell you.

That's crap, man -- on all counts. Gag orders.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you are going to have personality contests, take it somewhere else please. There is no valid reason for the sniping.

Nothing excuses such on this forum, not post count, not time in grade.

Contribute to the OP subject or don't post. Take the off topic personal interjections/replies to PM if you must, but be aware that normal rules still apply.

Enough said I trust.