• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody have experience with Greenwich permits?

forhumans

Today marks exactly 8 weeks since I applied for my pistol permit in Greenwich. When should I start hassling them, if at all?

Thanks for any help!

motoxmann

call and inquire on the status immediately. if they don't issue your permit tomorrow or right after calling, file an appeal, it'll probably be necessary.
and it never hurts to call DESPP and get your dates; the date they received your fingerprints, and the date they sent the background check back to the PD.

forhumans

So, I called and left a message for the clerk, got a call back in about 10 minutes. She was very kind and said they are all set with FBI check, just waiting to hear back from the state. She said the last permits she sent out were submitted January 10th, so those took about 14 weeks to get out... mine went in end of February.

They seem to be doing the best they can so I'm just gonna wait it out. :(

smokeyburnout

Dont just wait it out, appeal. You should be angry right now. Think of it like this. If you went to a garage to have your car fixed would you be ok at them taking your money upfront and telling you to wait 6 months for it to be fixed? Of course you wouldn't.

motoxmann

So, I called and left a message for the clerk, got a call back in about 10 minutes. She was very kind and said they are all set with FBI check, just waiting to hear back from the state. She said the last permits she sent out were submitted January 10th, so those took about 14 weeks to get out... mine went in end of February.

They seem to be doing the best they can so I'm just gonna wait it out. :(

NO! Don't just wait it out, they are giving you the standard runaround. Appeal immediately! I'm not kidding. that is the same excuse almost every PD uses, and they're full of excrement 99% of the time.
look at it this way, you can only appeal for 90 days after the 8th week. they will try and try and try to make it go past that deadline because they know once that time hits if you haven't appealed, you can no longer appeal and you're screwed and need to apply all over again.

appeal immediately. the appeal itself usually kicks em in the arse to get it issued. they are full of crap, it's an excuse, and THEY are breaking the law in doing so. BY LAW they have 5 DAYS to issue you your permit or send a denial letter from the date they receive the national background check back.

To file an appeal, follow the instructions at this link:

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254192&bfpeNav=|
You would be using the process listed for the 8 week delay.
Be sure to fill out the questionnaire as well, and you MUST send in the appeal letter and questionnaire together in the same envelope to ensure you get on the list and also prompting documents to be sent to the issuing authority.

Chances are you'll probably receive your permit before the actual appeal hearing, assuming you are eligible. If this does occur, you absolutely MUST notify the BFPE immediately upon receiving your permit so they can cancel your appeal and allow that time slot to be used by someone else in need of an appeal. Even in the rare chance that they issue your permit the same day or day after you having mailed out the letter and questionnaire, you still need to contact BFPE to let them know you mailed the information on [approx date] but that you have received your permit now.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can actually go to the BFPE office and deliver your letter and questionnaire in person, which will speed the process up by a few days skipping the mail. I'd call and ask them first though before wasting a trip
http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/site/default.asp
860-256-2977
Board of Firearms Permit Examiners
20 Trinity Street, 5th floor
Hartford, CT 06106

Hope this information helps,
~Steve B
Permitissues@ctcarry.com

Dont just wait it out, appeal. You should be angry right now. Think of it like this. If you went to a garage to have your car fixed would you be ok at them taking your money upfront and telling you to wait 6 months for it to be fixed? Of course you wouldn't.

x2, well said.

forhumans

If I felt confident about my application and the discretion of the Police chief I would exercise my rights, but I don't. I have an expunged record and some other things littered about that make me especially wary of potentially angering his graciousness. Given the extreme climate right now I've decided to take them at their word and wait it out. The appeal letter says, "Additionally, I have not been provided with a reasonable reason for the delay in making a decision on my application." Who's to say what's reasonable?

I appreciate the info on the 90 days deadline. If I don't have it in a month I will be appealing.

Last edited:

smokeyburnout

Ummm. The board is to say whats reasonable. And if your worried that they won't issue it to you then an appeal is your only real option. Worse case scenario the police cheif Denys you and your already on the list to appeal saving you time in the long run. These are your rights and a your police cheif is not the be all end all of your options.
They do not have a reasonable reason for the delay as there is no way something to disqualify you would pop up on a state level that wouldn't have been found on a federal background check. Federal background checks are basicly instant therefore they either already have the results for both and are just sitting on them to make you wait or they didnt submit them in an orderly fashion. Either way u win.
Dont be discouraged. Appeal and do it as soon as possible.

motoxmann

Worse case scenario the police cheif Denys you and your already on the list to appeal saving you time in the long run.

yes, that's the other reason. appeals take a while. the longer you wait, the further the appeals get delayed and backed up. if you appeal right now, because you should and can and need to, you'll already be in line instead of having to be in line a full month further behind, or more.

you made a contact attempt, they gave you a line of BS. you have no need to have any further contact with the PD. just file the appeal and get it over with. there is no reason not to. appeals might annoy the PD's, yes, but it annoys them simply because it means they become aware that the board has been told that they are breaking the law. appeal

Last edited: