• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WI CCL address change

wimwag

It says in the back of my license that I have 30 days to change my address with the DOJ...has anybody done this? Is there a fee? I have until August 21 apparently but I'd like to be on it sooner.

And please tell me they don't just tape a new address over the top of the old one line the DMV used to do...

protias

I had to change my address after I moved. There was no fee if done within 30 days.

MKEgal

I did a google search for [wisconsin doj concealed carry] and came up with this as the top hit:
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/concealed-carry

On the right of that page is a link mislabeled "CCW forms":
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/ccw-forms

The second link on that page is this, the form you're supposed to use to report your address change:
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/default/files/dles/ccw/dj-le-285.pdf

And the text below it says:
Licensees are required to notify the Department of Justice Firearms Unit in writing within 30 days of changing their address.
To do this you must submit a completed and signed address change form.
If you would like a new license to reflect your updated address you must include a check or money order payable to the Wisconsin Department of Justice in the amount of $12.
However, you are not required to replace your license when you change your address.

You should update your address with the DMV first, can do that online.

Last edited:

wimwag

I did a google search for [wisconsin doj concealed carry] and came up with this as the top hit:
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/concealed-carry

On the right of that page is a link mislabeled "CCW forms":
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/ccw-forms

The second link on that page is this, the form you're supposed to use to report your address change:
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/default/files/dles/ccw/dj-le-285.pdf

And the text below it says:

You should update your address with the DMV first, can do that online.

I wonder if it could cause a problem were a cop to ask that magic question they never seem to ask if I don't pay the $12 to get the new ID. That probably means they'll be disarming me for "safety" and touching my gear. I don't like other people touching my gear. Or sharing popcorn.

Hint for 5-0:

"Why are you carrying a gun?"

"Bears."

"can I see ID?"

"nope."

"Do you have a carry permit?" (instead of "how do I know you're not a felon?")

"why yes, here is that permit and my drivers license."

And that, deputies, is how you get around that pesky RAS and my refusal to ID.

Last edited:

vinchenzo

It says in the back of my license that I have 30 days to change my address with the DOJ...has anybody done this? Is there a fee? I have until August 21 apparently but I'd like to be on it sooner.

And please tell me they don't just tape a new address over the top of the old one line the DMV used to do...

I just did mine. I printed the document off the DOJ website, and mailed it to the address on the back of my CCL. As others stated, there's a fee to have the new address reflected on your license. I opted not to have a new card made so it didn't cost me a dime.

MKEgal

wimwag said:
I wonder if it could cause a problem were a cop to ask that magic question they never seem to ask if I don't pay the $12 to get the new ID. That probably means they'll be disarming me for "safety" and touching my gear.
Why would they try to steal your property just because you're OC and have no RAS that you're committing a crime?
And why would you choose to provide your ID & carry license upon demand, when they have no RAS that you're doing something requiring a license or ID? That's just reinforcing to them that what they're doing is acceptable.

cop: "can I see ID?"
me: "nope."
uninformed cop: "Do you have a carry permit?" (instead of "how do I know you're not a felon?")
me: What am I doing that you think requires me to have a concealed carry license?

If he comes up with an actual crime he thinks I'm committing, for which a defense is having a concealed carry license (e.g. carrying concealed, carrying in the magical 1000' bubble around a school, carrying in a taxpayer-owned building) I'll show my licenses.

Last edited:

wimwag

Why would they try to steal your property just because you're OC and have no RAS that you're committing a crime?
And why would you choose to provide your ID & carry license upon demand, when they have no RAS that you're doing something requiring a license or ID? That's just reinforcing to them that what they're doing is acceptable.

me: What am I doing that you think requires me to have a concealed carry license?

If he comes up with an actual crime he thinks I'm committing, for which a defense is having a concealed carry license (e.g. carrying concealed, carrying in the magical 1000' bubble around a school, carrying in a taxpayer-owned building) I'll show my licenses.

true. Didn't think of it that way.

wimwag

If you want a license reflecting your new address it will cost you 12 bucks regardless.

Ok Doug, seriously...couldn't you just post that at the end of your last comment? Why log out of one account and into another?