• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

be leery, NC LE are going to step up efforts to poll your firearm against stolen list

solus

Reward offered in Duplin gun-shop theft case...

Federal and local authorities have offered a reward (solus input ~ started at $5K and last i heard it was $15K) for information leading to an arrest in connection with a recent break-in at and theft from a Duplin County gun dealer. Seventy-one handguns and two rifles were stolen from Calypso Wholesale, at 108 4th St., on Saturday night.

http://www.wral.com/reward-offered-in-duplin-gun-shop-theft-case/14037825/

call me crazy and accuse me of projecting just a bit i have a feeling the LE locals, if you get stopped by them, are going to be 'requesting & insisting ' really hard to take temporary possession of your firearm to check it against the FBI's stolen firearm database ...

my understanding this is the second time this particular shop has been robbed of numerous firearms within recent history.

just a word to the wise if the local's get pushy during a stop.

ipseleery

Last edited by a moderator:

countryclubjoe

This puts an interesting spin on RAS and PC.... Also if the local sporting goods store was robbed of 20 pairs of sneakers, would LEO be stopping everyone in town with new sneakers? Again an interesting spin on RAS and PC....

Regards

CCJ

solus

This puts an interesting spin on RAS and PC.... Also if the local sporting goods store was robbed of 20 pairs of sneakers, would LEO be stopping everyone in town with new sneakers? Again an interesting spin on RAS and PC....

Regards

CCJ

CCJ, not sure the stolen sneeks would qualify for federal investigative oversight and the 15K reward...or possibly exacerbate a yokal to be proactive to make a name for themselves...

should be interesting for a bit and fun to watch...last time a gunshop's robbery was announced on public news they didn't offer a reward even for return of automatic firearms.

ipse

Last edited:

Superlite27

As an added layer of identity protection as far as 4th Amendment protections are concerned, I have taken a small piece of electrical tape and obscured the serial number plate on my sidearm.

As you know, sometimes officers like to take off down a convoluted road of euphamistic mental gymnastics. They'll relieve you of your firearm "for officer safety"....and then it is possible to run the serial numbers as the serial numbers are "in plain view" and don't require a search.

Removing or permanently altering serial numbers is "defacing" and a crime.

However, simply covering them is not an actual alteration, just obscuration.

In order for an officer to run the serial numbers that are no longer in plain view, he would have to perform an intentional action before he could do so.

In my opinion, (and hopefully that of any potential jury) removing tape would obviously fall into the unmistakable category of a "search".

Just an idea. I'm not really sure of its validity.

solus

As an added layer of identity protection as far as 4th Amendment protections are concerned, I have taken a small piece of electrical tape and obscured the serial number plate on my sidearm.
As you know, sometimes officers like to take off down a convoluted road of euphamistic mental gymnastics. They'll relieve you of your firearm "for officer safety"....and then it is possible to run the serial numbers as the serial numbers are "in plain view" and don't require a search.
Removing or permanently altering serial numbers is "defacing" and a crime.
However, simply covering them is not an actual alteration, just obscuration.
In order for an officer to run the serial numbers that are no longer in plain view, he would have to perform an intentional action before he could do so.
In my opinion, (and hopefully that of any potential jury) removing tape would obviously fall into the unmistakable category of a "search".
Just an idea. I'm not really sure of its validity.

i queried my solicitor about this, they advised technically the concept you described would be correct! however, to assure the tape was there when you handed the firearm to the nice peace officer would be the crux of the argument. my perception was to get an active monitoring system in the vehicle(s) and 'innocently' flash the location of the S/N resides to prove to the judicial system it was in fact obscured. the problem with that is would have to remember which firearm(s) i was carrying at that particular time and then remember where the S/N is located, and the 'innocent' flashing would have to look innocent and not threatening to the nice peace officer and maybe their cohort on the other side of the vehicle. Naw'llll not something i could practice enough to look natural!!

decided that the purchase of several cams coupled with the mastery of innocent moves wasn't the effort and i would just carry, smile sweetly and discuss it as best i can hoping my recorder is picking up the nuance's in my voice of how respectfully outraged i am at this invasion of my privacy ~ for use within the judicial system.

ipse

countryclubjoe

If the weapon is your property, then why can't you file off any serial numbers? The answer, more government intrusion and control..

If the weapon is your property you should be able to do with that property as you please, provided your actions are not harming anyone else..

How does filing down a S/N on ones property, harm anyone else?.

My .02

Regards

CCJ