• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From my car to my home and vice versa?

Bill the American

Hello all,

I'm new here but found the site searching for this answer...

I've been through 790.25 and most all statutes regarding gun rights and I can't find anything on carrying my gun from my car to my home, vice versa, and also from my car to place of business without a CWP.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Bill

brboyer

Hello all,

I'm new here but found the site searching for this answer...

I've been through 790.25 and most all statutes regarding gun rights and I can't find anything on carrying my gun from my car to my home, vice versa, and also from my car to place of business without a CWP.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Bill

If your car is on your property, you are fine. If it's in the street, there could be an issue.
Most businesses have parking lots that are included in the (case-law) definition of 'place of business'.

I highly doubt there would be any real issue, but that will all depend on the LEO that wetnesses it, the SA, the Judge/Jury.

Having said that, go look at any gunshow in Florida - Gunshows are not listed as an exception in 790.25(3) - unless you are a 'regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for modern or antique firearms collecting, while such members are at or going to or from their collectors’ gun shows, conventions, or exhibits'). You have hundreds of people walking all around, inside and out and I've never heard of anyone getting arrested.

Bill the American

Thanks brboyer...

If having one in my car is legal without a CWP then how would they expect me to get it into my car from my home, and from my car to place of business? I park in a multi level gargae thats a good walk to my office.

How about when I go visit a friend? I need to take it from my car to their home.

There must be a statute somewhere that adresses this....I just can't find it.

Anybody else out there know if there is a specific statute?

brboyer

Thanks brboyer...

If having one in my car is legal without a CWP then how would they expect me to get it into my car from my home, and from my car to place of business? I park in a multi level gargae thats a good walk to my office.

How about when I go visit a friend? I need to take it from my car to their home.

There must be a statute somewhere that adresses this....I just can't find it.

Anybody else out there know if there is a specific statute?

You expect common sense from law makers?

Here are the applicable statutes:

790.01 prohibits concealed carry of firearms everywhere.
790.053 prohibits open carry of firearms everywhere.
790.06 provides for an exectpion to 790.01 allowing lawful concealed carry with the proper license.
790.25 provide for exceptions to 790.06 and 790.053 for specific, limited, locations/situations.

Public places like the street outside your house or office is not included, unless you are going to or from one of the exceptions that provide for such carry. Like going hunting/fishing or to the range, etc.

Is this an oversight on the part of the legislature, you bet. But that is they way the law is written. But like I said, I doubt you would ever find yourself in trouble unless something else was transpiring.

Oh, and carrying at your Friend's place is illegal, period. There is not any provision in Florida law that permits you to carry on someone Else's property, unless you fall into one of the exceptions in 790.25(3). OR with a CWFL, you could carry concealed, only.

Heck, you cannot even carry on property you own, but do not live on without a CWFL.

Last edited: