• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quiz for newbies to decide if they are ready to open carry in California

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Last edited:

mjones

Incorrect 50% answered this correctly. 50% answered wrong
Q.4) Where can you legally open carry a firearm?

E. The State Capitol (missed)
Explanation
You can also carry at the State Capitol but you cannot have ammunition on your person that your firearm can use. You could have a friend hold on to it as long as he didn't give it to you.

Vague - open carry implies having ammo

Strictly speaking "Open Carry" at OCDO = LOADED or LOC for short int he CA subforum

Incorrect 50% answered this correctly. 50% answered wrong
Q.5) Where are some lawful places you can openly place a handgun in your car if you know you won't be traveling through any school zones?

C. Trunk (missed)
Explanation
Generally you must keep your handgun visible to open carry it in a car. Places like the floor of the car are a bad idea to put your handgun since it could easily become concealed or be argued that it is hard to see and thus concealed. The center console and the glove box, locked or not are both unlawful places to carry a handgun.

If its in the trunk; it isn't 'open'
An unlocked trunk (trunk accessible via pass thru for example) is a CCW violation (concealing a handgun in a vehicle)

edit:
btw, I think this is a GREAT idea! I'll try to PM you some Q/A if I can find the time.

Last edited:

sultan62

Does this give correct answers?

For those of us out of state, just looking for a brief education, (and appreciation for our own states, I'll warrant) does this quiz inform the taker of the correct answer in case the question is answered incorrectly? Sorry if this is answered above, but I saw a question/answer and didn't want a spoiler for the quiz.

Never mind, I took it and see that it does include explanations. The quiz is very well done, kudos.

I got a 57%. Good thing I'm on the other end of the country!

Last edited:

SurferStevo

missed two questions

Actually I forgot to check a box on 2 questions - where can you open carry legally in your car? Forgot to check the trunk option. But I thought that wouldn't be "open carry". I would really be a violation of your 4th amendment for a check in your trunk & the trunk is a locked container. So that's not really a true answer to the question. I was ripped off on that one I think!
The 2nd question was where can you open carry - I missed checking the box that says Preschool. While Preschool is not in the k-12 range I would probably avoid unloaded open carry in a preschool. Could you imagine all the other parents fainting as you came to pick up your child?!!!
Anyway attached is my "certificate".

Attachments

• OpenCarrycertificate.php.jpg
    OpenCarrycertificate.php.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 102

hgreen

...Could you imagine all the other parents fainting as you came to pick up your child?!!!.

This kind of expected hysteria is part of the problem here.

I've not once experienced such hysteria and I've open carried in all sorts of settings with children of all ages and their families.

In fact, the young children are the most accepting and inquisitive, leading to many positive conversations with their parents about open carry.

If we continue to spread this myth that people will freak out, people will keep believing it is true, when it is just a myth.

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Thanks for the pointers mjones, I've updated the quiz to reflect the inaccuracies.

coolusername2007

Great idea, I'll have to take the quiz when I have more time. Shouldn't a "passing" score of 100% be required to get a cert? Afterall, in reality one mistake could mean losing your gun rights for 10 years!

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=am-i-ready-to-open-carry-in-california

Feel free to toss out questions and I'll add them in. I figured having a brief quiz would help newbies decide for themselves how acquainted they are with the various Californian laws.

I scored 90 out of 100. But the answer to the question I got wrong was incorrect.

The question asked if you had no ammunition could you open carry a firearm at the State Capitol. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this answer is NO- While you could UOC around the Capitol on the city sidewalks, but weapons are prohibited because the State Capitol grounds are considered a State Park.

bigtoe416

The question asked if you had no ammunition could you open carry a firearm at the State Capitol. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this answer is NO- While you could UOC around the Capitol on the city sidewalks, but weapons are prohibited because the State Capitol grounds are considered a State Park.

It's possible that I'm wrong, but here is the penal code I was basing that question on:

171c. Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as defined
in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a
full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal
government who is carrying out official duties while in California,
any person summoned by any such officer to assist in making arrests
or preserving the peace while he is actually engaged in assisting
such officer, a member of the military forces of this state or the
United States engaged in the performance of his duties, or a person
holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Article 3
(commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4,
who brings a loaded firearm into, or possesses a loaded firearm
within, the State Capitol
, any legislative office, any office of the
Governor or other constitutional officer, or any hearing room in
which any committee of the Senate or Assembly is conducting a
hearing, or upon the grounds of the State Capitol, which is bounded
by 10th, L, 15th, and N Streets in the City of Sacramento, shall be
punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period of not more
than one year, a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000),
or both such imprisonment and fine, or by imprisonment in the state
prison.

And then this part which covers the weird ammo bit:
171e. A firearm shall be deemed loaded for the purposes of Sections
171c and 171d whenever both the firearm and unexpended ammunition
capable of being discharged from such firearm are in the immediate
possession of the same person.

In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for the
purpose of enforcing Section 171c or 171d, peace officers are
authorized to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his person or
in a vehicle while in any place or on the grounds of any place in or
on which the possession of a loaded firearm is prohibited by Section
171c or 171d. Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm
pursuant to the provisions of this section constitutes probable cause
for arrest for violation of Section 171c or 171d.

Last edited:

mjones

It's possible that I'm wrong, but here is the penal code I was basing that question on:

And then this part which covers the weird ammo bit:

I think C3 is correct, I do seem to remember reading somewhere that the capital grounds is a State Park. Which of course have much tougher gun regs then the sections you and I referenced. I can't find the code though...

JJ

+ 1,000,000 to HG

I've not once experienced such hysteria and I've open carried in all sorts of settings with children of all ages and their families.

In fact, the young children are the most accepting and inquisitive, leading to many positive conversations with their parents about open carry.

If we continue to spread this myth that people will freak out, people will keep believing it is true, when it is just a myth.

I couldn't agree with Harley more. And in addition to the very good points he makes, I will add this: Some may ask "why would you need a gun at a preschool?"
Remember, you don't get to choose where or when you or others around you will be assaulted.

What if some disgruntled parent in a child custody battle chose the daycare center as the place he or she would "settle the score" with their (ex) significant other??

It's better to have a gun and not need it, then to need a gun and not have it.

My wife still has problems with me carrying at certain times or places. She didn't want me to carry one day when we took our son to the BMX bike track because "there's a bunch of kids here". So what? Are BMX bike tracks magically immune from violence? Are there only certain places where violent crime takes place? NO! It happens anywhere and everywhere without warning.

She won the argument that day (I left the gun in the truck but kept my magazine holder and holster on), but I make sure to point out every time there is a news report
about violence "where there's a bunch of kids" , and rub it in a bit.......

bigtoe416

I think C3 is correct, I do seem to remember reading somewhere that the capital grounds is a State Park. Which of course have much tougher gun regs then the sections you and I referenced. I can't find the code though...

Yeah, apparently it is in a state park. Drats, minus one for me. I'll update.

SurferStevo

I agree with you. I was just pointing out that there are a lot of stupid people out there who know nothing about our freedoms & would make a fuss about a right they never took the time to inform themselves about.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

I didnt put on the dash board or on the seat. Imagine an accident. Your gun goes under the seat and your knocked out. You wake up in the hospital cuffed to the bed because your gun was found under the seat (concealed). I also put university. With permission from the university you can carry there. How many preschools are out of 1000' from a school? None around me.

Last edited: