• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nonresident Open Carry?

BowhuntnHoosier

So if I am riding my motorcycle through your great state I am allowed to open carry as long as I do not enter government buildings or anywhere alcohol is served or sold?? Am I correct? I am from Indiana and have a valid lifetime Personal Protection Permit for concealed carry. Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate your time.

NMBill

Pretty Much So...

So if I am riding my motorcycle through your great state I am allowed to open carry as long as I do not enter government buildings or anywhere alcohol is served or sold?? Am I correct? I am from Indiana and have a valid lifetime Personal Protection Permit for concealed carry. Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate your time.

Simply, schools, state parks, universities, courts, and places that sell liquor are off-limits for open carry. On private property, where the owners asks you and your gun to leave or a no guns notice is posted, you need to do so. Otherwise, things are pretty wide open.

Indiana recognizes New Mexico concealed carry permits, but New Mexico does not recognize Indiana permits. (The opposite is true, in the case of New Mexico and Ohio -- go figure.)

Enjoy your visit.

BowhuntnHoosier

Simply, schools, state parks, universities, courts, and places that sell liquor are off-limits for open carry. On private property, where the owners asks you and your gun to leave or a no guns notice is posted, you need to do so. Otherwise, things are pretty wide open.

Indiana recognizes New Mexico concealed carry permits, but New Mexico does not recognize Indiana permits. (The opposite is true, in the case of New Mexico and Ohio -- go figure.)

Enjoy your visit.

Thank you very much.

AH.74

As far as I'm aware there are no restrictions on state buildings. Anyone know anything indicating otherwise?

snoball

That is correct. However, all Federal buildings are off limits. Not only post offices, but any building of a federal nature.

AH.74

That is correct. However, all Federal buildings are off limits. Not only post offices, but any building of a federal nature.

Yep- I worked for a federal contractor for a while and when I visited HQ which was federal property I would always have to park outside on the street with my gun secured inside the vehicle. I knew the law but vehicles on the property were also subject to random search.

txbirddog

Enjoy your visit.

Back to the MC riding,,,,,so if I stop and get gas, top off the tank, walk to use the restroom and see some cases of Michelob Ultra :), I would have to go back go the bike and lock it up???? If I have a Gold Wing or a HD bagger (Ultra Classic etc with lockable trunk), not so bad,,,,,but what about those with soft leather soft leather bags or a crotch rocket with a soggy tank bag?

Doesn't seem real safe from thieves in the latter examples.

AH.74

Back to the MC riding,,,,,so if I stop and get gas, top off the tank, walk to use the restroom and see some cases of Michelob Ultra :), I would have to go back go the bike and lock it up???? If I have a Gold Wing or a HD bagger (Ultra Classic etc with lockable trunk), not so bad,,,,,but what about those with soft leather soft leather bags or a crotch rocket with a soggy tank bag?

Doesn't seem real safe from thieves in the latter examples.

If you want to act in accordance with the law, yes.

It certainly is not the best situation, but it is the law.