• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boooo for 48 hour wait.

Jesse

So after much waiting and endless minute counting I got notification today that my shiny new Sig p220 Stainless Elite had arrived at my local dealer... so, I went there and completed the paperwork, inspected it and after holding it... well, I think the next 41 hours, 19 minutes and 37 seconds is going to go by even more slowly than the weeks I waited to get to this point lol..

Haven't felt this way since I was about 5 years old and it was 2 days before Christmas lol..

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Even though we all hate how the "cool off" period heats us up, just remember it could be worse. Some states are longer.

I still loved the fact that I can buy an AR-15 and 45 round magazines and walk out within 10 minutes of selecting my weapon, but the handgun is 48 hours. :rolleyes:

littlewolf

Even though we all hate how the "cool off" period heats us up, just remember it could be worse. Some states are longer.

I still loved the fact that I can buy an AR-15 and 45 round magazines and walk out within 10 minutes of selecting my weapon, but the handgun is 48 hours. :rolleyes:

The DoJ claims it takes 48 hrs to complete the back round check, they do a NICS, and TIME ran through the CIB. I they get the approval from NICS they will in form us (dealers) then the 48hrs begins and that's the wait time fore the TIME System check.
Cooling off period is a misnomer.
TIME System checks between other LE , like FBI, DNR, County and Local .

protias

Gotta love how I can take a long gun home same day but I have to wait for a handgun, even though I own more than 1. :rolleyes:

Interceptor_Knight

The DoJ claims it takes 48 hrs to complete the back round check, they do a NICS, and TIME ran through the CIB. I they get the approval from NICS they will in form us (dealers) then the 48hrs begins and that's the wait time fore the TIME System check.
Cooling off period is a misnomer.
TIME System checks between other LE , like FBI, DNR, County and Local .

That has to be someone blowing smoke up your butt and/or simply trying to justify their job... That is like someone saying that a google search takes 48 hours. Back when the system was first put in place it may have been true but now it simply can not be the case. Eligibility for things much more sensitive than handgun ownership are done instantly for employment checks, etc..
When NICS came on line, there was no longer a requirement for any waiting period. WI is free to have no waiting period and only use the NICS system just as they do for long guns. The 48 hours is absolutely not necessary other than giving timid politicians a fuzzy feeling inside.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
So after much waiting and endless minute counting I got notification today that my shiny new Sig p220 Stainless Elite had arrived at my local dealer... so, I went there and completed the paperwork, inspected it and after holding it... well, I think the next 41 hours, 19 minutes and 37 seconds is going to go by even more slowly than the weeks I waited to get to this point lol..

Haven't felt this way since I was about 5 years old and it was 2 days before Christmas lol..

Another good reason to be glad you don't live in California with a 10-day waiting period. As if we needed yet another reason to be glad we're not in California.

Jesse

I love California but could never in a million years live there.... every other day there seems to be one more policy, law or political ploy in CA that is either ridiculous at best or unconstitutional at worst.. shame really, the state could be such an awesome place..

24 hours exactly to go as of now lol.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
I love California but could never in a million years live there.... every other day there seems to be one more policy, law or political ploy in CA that is either ridiculous at best or unconstitutional at worst.. shame really, the state could be such an awesome place..

24 hours exactly to go as of now lol.

Regulations = lost freedoms

The number of states I 'like' or would like to live in, is growing smaller and smaller.

Government ON ALL LEVELS, LOCAL TO FEDERAL, is nothing but douche tarts creating panty wipe policies, regulations and spending to justify their jobs.

As a high level manager, I use lean and 6 sigma to increase efficiency, reduce cost and make life EASIER for those who work for me.

In Calif., if you fart without a permit, you are fined by the EPA for pollution.

In Florida, if you pee in a milk jug from your hunting stand, you are fined for it not being a BPA free jug.

In Wash. state, if you take a picture of Mt St Helens without a permit, you are sent to an isolation chamber where Obama speeches are shown on loop.

My 2nd Amd. rights for handguns is getting more and more regulated, expensive and restricted.

uhg

Last edited:

TheRock

Sorry, can't resist, or it could be like Ohio, where you walk in, fill out the paperwork, and then 10 minutes later carry your new handgun out with you.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
In Virginia I can walk in and buy two handguns (with CHP, VA has a one handgun a month limit but CHP holders are exempt), three rifles, five shotguns, and a muzzleloader and walk out the same day if I wanted to. The idea that it takes 48 hours to run a NICS check is ridiculous. It takes minutes and if they are busy maybe an hour.

Last edited:

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
Sorry, can't resist, or it could be like Ohio, where you walk in, fill out the paperwork, and then 10 minutes later carry your new handgun out with you.

In Virginia I can walk in and buy two handguns (with CHP, VA has a one handgun a month limit but CHP holders are exempt), three rifles, five shotguns, and a muzzleloader and walk out the same day if I wanted to. The idea that it takes 48 hours to run a NICS check is ridiculous. It takes minutes and if they are busy maybe an hour.

and I bet that due to their regs., their crime and shootings are THROUGH THE ROOF!!!

/sarcasm

TheRock

Yea, the only limit in Ohio is how much you can carry (if you have too much you can make multiple trips)

TheRock

and I bet that due to their regs., their crime and shootings are THROUGH THE ROOF!!!

/sarcasm

Here is a quote from the Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor

protias

"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"

I like that quote. I wish I had room in my signature to put it in there.

Edit: Found the space. :D

Last edited:

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran

Now that would be some 'change I can believe in'.

Jesse

By the way...great choice on the P220 Jesse. Sooooooo jealous :)

Well, I had almost blocked this from my mind... but thanks to your post I'm obsessively looking at the clock every 30 seconds once again lol... but thanks, I'm pretty excited.

21 hours 23 minutes and 40 seconds

Last edited: