• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So happy guns are not needed in church!

Mlutz

Makes me laugh. Well, after reading no one got hurt. Its a shame the criminals brought guns into a church. Maybe the people in there should have called 911, and the criminals should have encased their wepons, and waited for the police to get there. (eye roll.)

MKEgal

I haven't played bingo in ages... we used to do it in school, usually as the teachers trying a sneaky way to get us to learn, & doing something vaguely educational on the last day(s) before a break. I remember doing it in both Latin & Spanish classes.

But as for that robbery, it couldn't have happened - according to the MPD GFSZ map that corner has a school (probably in the church), so guns are prohibited there. Why on earth would a bunch of little old ladies make up such a story?

PS - which of you is "elrobbo" on the Journal Sentinal comments? Thank you so much for the chuckle. I hope other people "get it".

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

I haven't played bingo in ages... we used to do it in school, usually as the teachers trying a sneaky way to get us to learn.

But as for that robbery, it couldn't have happened - according to the MPD GFSZ map that corner has a school (probably in the church), so guns are prohibited there. Why on earth would a bunch of little old ladies make up such a story?

:D I see what you did there! That's what I said about all the alleged shootings in Chicago. Could not of happened because guns were illegal!

jpm84092

There Must Be Some Mistake - GFSZ

The media must have made a mistake. This robbery could never have happened because the bingo hall is in a Gun Free School Zone. The bad guys would have had to disarm at the 1000 foot perimeter. That is the law in Wisconsin and it works; or so I am vocally assured by my liberal friends. Surely Milwaukee has enough liberals so that at least one of them could tell the media that this is a hoax because Gun Free School Zones work and drug crazed bad guys would never break a law that our illustrious liberals say works.

Alas, even if the Church wanted to provide (open carry) security, they could not - it is a Gun Free School Zone.

Jason in WI

But as for that robbery, it couldn't have happened - according to the MPD GFSZ map that corner has a school (probably in the church), so guns are prohibited there.

They might have not known there was a school around, it's really hard to know where all the GFSZ's are as most of us are aware. Of course I'm sure this could have all been averted had the church posted no firearm signs like a certain other church has, then there would have been no confusion and I'm almost positive the robbery would have been prevented :uhoh:.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
One woman who had not played bingo at the church hall in years said one of the robbers put a handgun to her daughter's face before grabbing her purse and fleeing.

you know.... Its probably just me... but when a crime occurs... and there is going to be a victim... I sure hope the victim ends up being the criminal.

Call me crazy, but I believe with all my heart that if this thug criminal who put a gun to a girls head ended up shot DEAD by a law-abiding citizen in self-defense it would send a really nice message to other criminals that "its not worth it".

logan

Campaign Veteran
Call me crazy, but I believe with all my heart that if this thug criminal who put a gun to a girls head ended up shot DEAD by a law-abiding citizen in self-defense it would send a really nice message to other criminals that "its not worth it".

+1

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
would they not be in violation of a federal law GFSZ or is that state only? if federal send them to marion illinois pen
if state law then send them to supermax for 100 years

I doubt that anyone would get sent to prison via the federal statute. I don't know of any cases that went any farther than a charge since Lopez. The reason is that I believe they think it will be found unconstitutional once again (see U.S v. Hoffmeyer). So, my guess is that they are leaving it on the books and use it to threaten to charge/charge and plea out, just as a detterant. I don't think they want it to go to trial and mess up their detterant.

Basically all the congress did after Lopez was to pass the law again and say "I assure you it is constitutional" I'm paraphrasing of course.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I doubt that anyone would get sent to prison via the federal statute. I don't know of any cases that went any farther than a charge since Lopez. The reason is that I believe they think it will be found unconstitutional once again (see U.S v. Hoffmeyer). So, my guess is that they are leaving it on the books and use it to threaten to charge/charge and plea out, just as a detterant. I don't think they want it to go to trial and mess up their detterant.

Basically all the congress did after Lopez was to pass the law again and say "I assure you it is constitutional" I'm paraphrasing of course.

+1

I would think it is used only as a 'sweetener' to other charges. In other words, just walking through a school zone with a weapon won't get you Federal charges, however, pulling a Columbine would + the 'real' charges.