• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are women who carry viewed differently than men who carry?

C

coolfrmn

Speak up ladies!!!

Just curious here. Are women who carry OC or CC viewed differently than men?

Do you get the same comments that us guys do? i.e. Are you called "gun nuts", "paranoid", "fanatics"? Or are you more well received as being " prepared, empowered, etc?
Are you treated differently by LE?

Guys, chime in too with your views.

My thought is that women would be better recieved and not as much of a "threat" as a MWAG. (Just a guess, no proof behind my opinion.)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Speak up ladies!!!

Do you get the same comments that us guys do? i.e. Are you called "gun nuts", "paranoid", "fanatics"? Or are you more well recieved as being " prepared, empowered, etc?

My thought is that women would be better recieved and not as much of a "threat" as a MWAG. (Just a guess, no proof behind my opinion.)

It's been my observation that women are looked on as protecting themselves while men are viewed as somewhat radical.
That's a pretty broad statement and it really differs with everyone you meet.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Speak up ladies!!!

Do you get the same comments that us guys do? i.e. Are you called "gun nuts", "paranoid", "fanatics"? Or are you more well received as being " prepared, empowered, etc?

I'm called "the gun nut" at work - where I cannot carry (on a military base in DC). Might have something to do with the GUNS SAVE LIVES button on my cubicle; the 1911-shaped business-card holder; the gun-depicting jewelry I often wear, or one of a dozen other reasons. I've never been addressed negatively by anyone while I was carrying, though, so I don't have a clue whether or not other women are treated differently.

C

coolfrmn

I'm called "the gun nut" at work - where I cannot carry (on a military base in DC). Might have something to do with the GUNS SAVE LIVES button on my cubicle; the 1911-shaped business-card holder; the gun-depicting jewelry I often wear, or one of a dozen other reasons. I've never been addressed negatively by anyone while I was carrying, though, so I don't have a clue whether or not other women are treated differently.

Very Cool!! I too work on base (Belvoir). I feel naked without my pistol driving to, from & while at work. Sux!!

CenTex

I view (look at) women differently than men no matter what they are carrying. If they have a firearm, they're my kind of lady. I always liked Annie Oakley.

Last edited:

XD40coyote

Well I had one guy question wether I had the moxy or whatever to actually use the gun for self defense and to have to kill. He insinuated that I might freeze up or something. He's not an anti gunner. I was a bit insulted and told him so. He sorta changed the subject.

There is a lady I have known all my life, good friend of my mother, who is a typical myopic MDer/Baltimoron and is a Quaker to boot. She is very liberal and doesn't really follow the news so she really doesn't know what all is going on. She and her husband and sometimes her son etc, come up to eat with us in PA every other saturday or so. She never says anything, but she does give me this disaproving look now and then. Her husband is Brazilian and a bit of a nut who will talk incessantly about BS, and ever since I open carried a couple times in public in his presence he has started to tell his BS stories pertaining to me OCing, which is pretty hilarious. He says that people were looking at me and asking eachother if there was a need to worry and one would say " I think it's ok, don't worry", and that a guy working at the Chinese place pulled this big long knife out and set it on a ledge used by the wait/bus staff, or that someone had the bug eyes. But he hasn't said to me that I shouldn't carry the gun or anything- he must be scared to LOL. I haven't noticed anyone staring or bug eyed either, in fact most people seem to not notice/care when I OC.

I got 1 compliment from a man too, a total stranger, who said " oh I see you carry" and asked about the type of gun or something.

I've OC'd many many times at the taxidermy shop, and no one really cares, but when it's bought up it makes for fine conversations. Most of my customers are male. They are hunters and gun people anyway. The ones who are more fudd-like don't really say anything. I do joke if it is mentioned in an odd way- I tell them that since I started wearing it all the time that the foxes have stopped attacking my chickens and it is like an anti fox device LOL.

flhtcm

why do we need to categorize

Everyone of us is different... why do people need to fit everything into a nice neat package?? Every woman is different and some women carry...every man is different and some don't carry... kumbaya

M

McX

if i see a girl carrying a gun, i always think; now there's a chick that aint gonna take any crap. i'm not threatened by it, unless her gun is nicer than mine heh-heh.

rushcreek2

It's a reasonable question to address. Unfortunately most young women seem more concerned about their attractiveness than their safety in public. Also of concern is the "duffle bag" purse fad which constitutes nothing less than purse-snatching bait.

If I had my way it would be "legal" (which it is according to the 2A) for ALL law-abiding women (and men) to carry guns 24/7 - CC - as in "constitutional carry".

I've had several LEO's tell me straight-up that they would not charge any "respectable" woman for carrying a handgun on her person for protection, and I think that view point is still strongly represented among LEO's.

That's an interesting angle given we are generally critical of LEO's "making up their own Law", but I think that's just a sign that good old common sense is still alive and well.

The "gun-nut" male vs the "smart" female measure is pretty accurate - at least at the present time. Hopefully in time that perception will dissipate. The perceived level of vunerability of a person male or female is going to be a factor. All gun laws in general are supposed to be intended TO PREVENT CRIME, and women are more vunerable to predatory violent offenders than men - on average.

I am personally comforted by the sight of any "normal" everyday person going about their business with a visible holstered handgun attached - and all the more so when they are females.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I've had several LEO's tell me straight-up that they would not charge any "respectable" woman for carrying a handgun on her person for protection, and I think that view point is still strongly represented among LEO's.

I find that comment disgusting and offensive...

In other words, they wouldn't mess with any woman who looked like she could afford a lawyer to sue them for violating her rights by harassing her for carrying.

That is perhaps the most racist and classist statement I've heard on the topic of female OC...

How do they define "respectable"? I imagine it means upper-middle-class, white, and well-dressed.

What if a woman was 24, black, and dressed in jeans and a t-shirt? What if she was a poor hispanic woman? What if she was white, lived in a trailer park, and drove an old beat-up Chevy Cavalier?

Fundamental Human Rights are NOT predicated on economic class or political connections. Just because a cop doesn't like the looks of someone does NOT give them the right to violate their civil rights--being poor or non-white is NOT probable cause, or even RAS...

If I ever heard an LEO say something like that, it would be the last time I ever had anything to do with that person, and I would then be taking my recording of their comments to the DA, and the local newspapers and TV stations...

beebobby

At least women don't have to defend against the old "compensating for something" argument.

M

mattwestm

I bet a middle-aged white woman can get away with a lot more than the average male with cops. If I got caught carrying a concealed weapon, my butt would be hauled off to jail, but a middle-aged white woman giving a sob story might get off with a warning and a lecture on the CHP process. I'd be willing to bet that most cops are easier on women than men.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I bet a middle-aged white woman can get away with a lot more than the average male with cops. If I got caught carrying a concealed weapon, my butt would be hauled off to jail, but a middle-aged white woman giving a sob story might get off with a warning and a lecture on the CHP process. I'd be willing to bet that most cops are easier on women than men.

While you're probably right, that idea that a middle-aged woman would choose to pull a "sob story" out of her bra instead of taking whatever is coming to here is an anathema to me. Women who use "sob stories" perpetuate stereotypes.

Alexandria

At least women don't have to defend against the old "compensating for something" argument.

Well in my experience, I am not nearly as physically strong as the majority of males that I have come across. Therefore, a gun makes me feel safer that I can defend myself if the need arises.
Personally, I don't see a difference between a man and women carrying, but I know several people that either think a woman is not capable of handling a gun or others who seem to think that men don't need protection like women do which would be why they see it as empowering for women.

ETA: Also it's not so much that I don't agree with CC, but it is hard to conceal a gun with my wardrobe. I have to buy bigger shirts, higher or looser pant (for ankle holster), or bigger jackets (for shoulder holster), and to put it in a pocket? Forget about, I have yet to find any jeans that would allow that without the top peeking out of the pocket and it would be a PITA to get out quickly. I signed the petition and plan on writing to my state rep.

Last edited:

Alexandria

Good post Alexandria and welcome to the forum.

Thank you! I am glad I have found a place where I see views parallel to my own. A family member told me that once I start carrying I can't bring a gun into their house so I told them I guess they will be visiting from now on because I am sure the criminals will respect their wishes too **sarcasm**. I took the class today for my concealed weapon and sent off my packet so I am just waiting for my permit. But this is something a long time coming, because I have been wanting to get my permit for awhile. I feel that having a gun at home is not enough in the current environment that we live it.

sudden valley gunner

I strongly desire for more women to carry and have the attitude of self preservation you do. In my observations women tend to be "victims" of crime much more often than men.