• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor Will Sign Open Carry & Campus Carry 6/13/15

press1280

So I see on the campus carry bill that presidents of public universities can't outright ban carry. But how far can they actually go? Can they ban it from all the buildings?

Glockster

No, it does NOT.

Correct! I watched that entire debate myself and it was put into the record that the reason that there was no prohibition added to the law was because there was adequate case law to establish that the police do not have any right to demand DL and CHL/LTC simply because of OC. And they noted for the record that the legislative intent was that it wasn't necessary OR they would have included it. And that should have some impact on judges based on how TX law deals with the courts applying plain meaning and legislative intent.

solus

Correct! I watched that entire debate myself and it was put into the record that the reason that there was no prohibition added to the law was because there was adequate case law to establish that the police do not have any right to demand DL and CHL/LTC simply because of OC. And they noted for the record that the legislative intent was that it wasn't necessary OR they would have included it. And that should have some impact on judges based on how TX law deals with the courts applying plain meaning and legislative intent.

soooo///the lone star's nice LEs wouldn't ever violate something put on the legislative 'record' but for the record which didn't make it into statute...me thinks the FB deputy has a different perception and i have the feeling it is pervasive amongst the nice LEs in TX's communities.

unfortunately, there is only one, singular way to discern who is correct on this debate...ya'l have to wait till after the first of Jan...huh!!

ipse

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

soooo///the lone star's nice LEs wouldn't ever violate something put on the legislative 'record' but for the record which didn't make it into statute...me thinks the FB deputy has a different perception and i have the feeling it is pervasive amongst the nice LEs in TX's communities.

unfortunately, there is only one, singular way to discern who is correct on this debate...ya'l have to wait till after the first of Jan...huh!!

ipse

Well, for what it's worth, I didn't say anything about what LEOs would be taught or would believe come January, I just said that in the new OC laws that passed, there was no statutory requirement to ID on demand created. I don't know where Grapeshot got that from.

What LEOs will be taught, what they will know about, what they'll be told, what their policy will become, what their attitude will be, what their respect for rights and liberty will be, I make no predictions about these things...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, for what it's worth, I didn't say anything about what LEOs would be taught or would believe come January, I just said that in the new OC laws that passed, there was no statutory requirement to ID on demand created. I don't know where Grapeshot got that from.

What LEOs will be taught, what they will know about, what they'll be told, what their policy will become, what their attitude will be, what their respect for rights and liberty will be, I make no predictions about these things...
Bad information on my part - not properly validated. :(

stealthyeliminator

Bad information on my part - not properly validated. :(

No worries. One thing I didn't anticipate is the amount of misinformation being put out there, disappointingly even by some of the leading OC advocates in Texas, but especially by some in Texas that present themselves as gun rights advocates who really aren't. So, it is easy to pick up false information, even from sources that you would expect to be trustworthy. :(

HPmatt

Got a note that Dan Patrick has tasked the Texas House & Senate to monitor implementation of OC:

http://www.empowertexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Patrick-FIrst-Interim-Charges.pdf

Monitoring Charge: Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the Senate Committee on State Affairs during the 84th Legislature, Regular Session and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance, and/or complete implementation. Specifically, monitor the following: 1) Implementation of open and campus carry legislation and determine if the current laws regulating the places that handguns can be carried are easily understood or if clarification is needed to ensure the average citizen understands when, where, and under what circumstances it is lawful to carry a weapon, versus when it is a criminal offense for which there may be a defense...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonameisgood

So I see on the campus carry bill that presidents of public universities can't outright ban carry. But how far can they actually go? Can they ban it from all the buildings?

The legislature clearly expressed intent during debate that they expect very limited restrictions. The example was for single rooms inside certain buildings, such as the actual rooms where medical care was being provided or day care was undertaken. They clearly intend that having a room in a building with this kind of activity could not justify barring carry throughout the building. The schools also have to submit a description of prohibited areas and the reasons for the prohibition TO THE LEGISLATURE every two years (prior to the legislative session.)

Glockster

Got a note that Dan Patrick has tasked the Texas House & Senate to monitor implementation of OC:

http://www.empowertexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Patrick-FIrst-Interim-Charges.pdf

Monitoring Charge: Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the Senate Committee on State Affairs during the 84th Legislature, Regular Session and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance, and/or complete implementation. Specifically, monitor the following: 1) Implementation of open and campus carry legislation and determine if the current laws regulating the places that handguns can be carried are easily understood or if clarification is needed to ensure the average citizen understands when, where, and under what circumstances it is lawful to carry a weapon, versus when it is a criminal offense for which there may be a defense...

Yeah, got a note about it as well. Think that will help at least a little. On a related note what I'm waiting for is for the AG office to begin taking action on the 30.06 signage complaints filed. That's where the above will be useful as the law gives them 3 days after a citizen complaint to remove the sign and before an AG complaint can be file, and what we're seeing are gun shows on City property posting (as they have illegally each year in the past) knowing that they will be gone before you can file a complaint. Taking advantage of that loophole in the law (does that make it an actual gun show loophole?). I think that is the kind of thing that will be front and center of the legislature in 2017.

HPmatt

UT Dildo girl is now an alumnae - degree in violin performance. UC Berkeley Naked Guy has nothing on UT...

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Here is a view by someone claiming to be a Deputy:

https://www.facebook.com/texassheriffsdeputies/posts/459977404190336?fref=nf
from Facebook, of course...so please adjust accordingly :uhoh:
----------------------------------------------------------------QUOTE---------------------------------
Today I took a class specifically dealing with the new open carry. I'm going to tell you now, if you are a fan of open carry, quit reading.

I, personally am not a fan of the bill. That doesn't mean I am anti firearm. I do not believe we need people able to carry openly. Long gun or handgun. I however have 0 problems with concealed carry. The people who do this are normally a friendly person not looking for harm.

For those of you who are going to open carry let me update/review a few things.

1. We (LEO) can and probably will stop and talk to you about the gun your proudly displaying. This also includes disarming you.

2. You must carry your CHL card and Driver's License at all times. If you fail to do this, you are unlawfully carrying a firearm.

3. It must be in a holster. Shoulder or waist only. Ankle holsters do not count.

4. Be ready for a lot of people having issues with it. There is a new law that's exactly the same thing as 30.06 but now it's 30.07. And for the record, if you see these signs read them.

5. Know the CHL rules. There is probably going to be a lot of officers who do not know them, be ready to be patient with them. The more of a jerk you are, the longer you will be detained.

To me with all these rules it's just not worth it. To put it from my perspective, even though I carry with me at all times, I conceal. Having a gun in the open on you makes you a target. If someone wants to rob someone they will do it....gun or not. The gun means they will jump you from behind and get your weapon and god forbid use it against you. Be smart ladies and gentlemen. And be safe.
Administration K
----------------------------------------------------------END QUOTE-----------------------------

Here's a follow up from Admin E. Apparently us mere citizens just have a bunch of state-granted privileges. Oh, and they can pull over any driver at any time to spot check for a driver license. All of the admins on this page are supposedly current law enforcement officers right here in Texas, and this is the stuff they believe...
Admin E here, founder and head Admin of this page.

A lot has been made of the post where Admin K said general citizens would be disarmed while walking down the street. Disarm is probably the wrong choice of words, but let me break this down to all of you.

1) This Open Carry Texas page does not allow us to comment and will not have an open dialog with this page, that being said we will not be bullied or used as a political crutch for those wishing to cause strife between us and our citizens.

2) We support the second amendment and we will not confiscate your guns for no reason. When the term disarm is used it is not meant to mean confiscate. Action vs Reaction, every person who carries a weapon should be familiar with this term. For those of you who don't know the term, it means that if you draw on a leo, you will be able to fire off several rounds before the officer can draw and defend himself. While most leo's maybe willing to let you keep your weapon, during the check understand that he may ask you to keep your hand somewhere away from your weapon.

3) Carrying a weapon is a privilege, concealed or open carried. A lot of citizens do not know but because driving is also a privilege a leo here in the State of Texas, can stop you and do a spot check to make sure you are a valid driver. This concept is what K was talking about. There are people who are going to see open carry and take advantage of this issue and walk around armed who A) are not allowed to be armed i.e. felon, protection orders, or family violence issues. B) Those who are not licensed at all. K was advising that an leo stopping you will have to check to make sure you are allowed to carry. This law was poorly written, and presents a danger to law enforcement everywhere.

4) Sheriff's I know will not violate the constitution and go around confiscating weapons, because it is your right as a citizen to bear arms. Do not buy into the malarky that says we are going around taking peoples weapons because we are this evil arm of the government. We will always stand to defend you no matter what the costs.

5) This page is not an official government page, I started this page for us who do this job so we can laugh and have constructive dialogs with our citizenry. We will not tolerate anti-police messages nor will we tolerate threats, if you have an issue with something that is said on this page, feel free to message the page and ask to speak to me personally, I am always open to dialogs and constructive criticism of the page, we are barely a year old. The Admins of this page come from all walks of life and each region of Texas.

Thank You

E

Last edited:

HPmatt

That is why TX legislators and judges have special license plates.

Won't matter, if/when public employees start doing this, my town councilmen and state Senators will hear about wasting resources and which cops are potential lawsuit magnets.

Last edited:

Glockster

Here's a follow up from Admin E. Apparently us mere citizens just have a bunch of state-granted privileges. Oh, and they can pull over any driver at any time to spot check for a driver license. All of the admins on this page are supposedly current law enforcement officers right here in Texas, and this is the stuff they believe...

That's just the kind of thing that will make this more...interesting. That they will apply the same degree of misunderstanding of either and or both law and case law. It was extensively discussed during the legislature that random stops just to check for drivers license in Texas is illegal as there is no PC to pull someone over. And it was extensively discussed - and specifically discussed - that the very same case law will apply to OC. And it was discussed for the real legislators who seem to cater to the "the sky is falling MWAG!" crowd, that the same case law has much to do about even things like DWI roadblocks being ruled unconstitional here in TX. I swear, most days it is as if their sky isn't the same color as everyone else's.

DeSchaine

E looks like nothing more than a contradictory bozo.

3) Carrying a weapon is a privilege, concealed or open carried.

5) Sheriff's I know will not violate the constitution and go around confiscating weapons, because it is your right as a citizen to bear arms.

It's one or the other. I know which it is. Everyone on this board knows which it is. Apparently the people payed by public taxes to enforce the laws don't get it.