• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter Ammo waster & get together @ the Shiocton Police range, Interested ??

What date do you prefer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I am adding a poll for the most popular date. the Date with the most hits by February 12th 2011 WINS.

The Shiocton range: Lake Park Rifle Range

Address: Village of Shiocton, WI
South of the Shiocton Airport
South of HWY 54 on Park Avenue.

Time: 11:00 am - ???

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Am I reading that right...Shiocton Range is now the Police Range ??

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is goin on up there??

LR Yote

It's owned & managed by the Police Dept there but anyone can use it $ 3.00 range fee & NO range nazi's..nice
you can shoot ANYTHING there even NFA..just let the cops know your bring Full Auto as a courtesy.

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

It's owned & managed by the Police Dept there but anyone can use it $ 3.00 range fee & NO range nazi's..nice
you can shoot ANYTHING there even NFA..just let the cops know your bring Full Auto as a courtesy.

Used to owned and managed by the Village....not police.
Oh well...maybe it aint such a bad thing.
That place could use a little cleaning up and a Range Officer.

I've been barrel swept too many times and have had
heard snaps,pops,hisses and buzzes when checkin my targets on the Long Range.

I only hit that place early mornings during the week. Tues Wed or Thurs...
if theres more than 3 cars in the p/lot...I dont shoot.
and am usually out of there by noon.

LR Yote

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
The Village/Police in that little town it's the same thing. I am glad there are no Range officers there ! Range officers are nothing but BAD. Range officer ='s some guy or lady that thinks they are gods gift to safe shooting, no thanks. How would a range officer stop you or anyone from getting swept by someone else's muzzle ? some one points a gun at you , you walk over Tear the moron a new hole. There is no such thing as a perfect range , unless it's on your land, but this place is close.

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

The Village/Police in that little town it's the same thing. I am glad there are no Range officers there ! Range officers are nothing but BAD. Range officer ='s some guy or lady that thinks they are gods gift to safe shooting, no thanks. How would a range officer stop you or anyone from getting swept by someone else's muzzle ? some one points a gun at you , you walk over Tear the moron a new hole. There is no such thing as a perfect range , unless it's on your land, but this place is close.

Range officer would kick someone that couldnt handle guns properly off the range.

Every time I go there I wonder if thats gonna be the time I get shot.

Sorry but that place is becoming as dangerous as deer huntin on Public land.

LR Yote

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Range officer would kick someone that couldnt handle guns properly off the range.

Every time I go there I wonder if thats gonna be the time I get shot.

Sorry but that place is becoming as dangerous as deer huntin on Public land.

LR Yote

ok, So you won't be there, that settles it. I am sure there is a snobbish, High priced Private range down there in SE wisc you can join that has range Nazi's so you can feel safe. Since you have made it clear that you don't like the Shiocton range & you will not be attending the get together shoot, I guess there is no need for you to reply to this thread any longer.

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

ok, So you won't be there, that settles it. I am sure there is a snobbish, High priced Private range down there in SE wisc you can join that has range Nazi's so you can feel safe. Since you have made it clear that you don't like the Shiocton range & you will not be attending the get together shoot, I guess there is no need for you to reply to this thread any longer.

Anyone that is so adamantly against a range officer or as you call "range nazi" in the interest of safety isnt anyone I would care to shoot with.

LR Yote

Interceptor_Knight

I've been barrel swept too many times and have had
heard snaps,pops,hisses and buzzes when checkin my targets on the Long Range.

I have filed 2 reports with the PD regarding incoming rounds on the big end of the 500 yd range. Their concern level appears to be low. It is not necessary to have a Range Nazi, but there should be better signage and target frames on the pistol range.
Some of the crowd who use the pistol range are not sharp enough to place their targets near the berm, so they end up skipping rounds over it and straight at the rifle range toward the 500yd berm. This is no small berm. The berm is massive but the ground is covered in crushed stone and these rocket scientists place the targets just a few feet in front of themselves on the ground. They have absolutely no concept of placing every round into the berm.
The rifle range is not much better, but there is alot of open space after the 500yd berm. The berms on the rifle range are simply target holders and not an effective backstop. The long range side is shut down after 3:00pm during bow season and the entire range is shut down during the 9 day gun season to reduce the chances of hunters getting shot.
We reserve the rifle range for Appleseed shoots, but starting this year we will be shutting down the entire range including the pistol range for exclusive use during the weekend we are there. We get charged enough that we should not have to worry about dodging bullets.

This is a pretty safe place to have a fun shoot even without a Range Officer. From my experience, everyone is watching out for each other and anyone who does something stupid gets a swift reminder. Usually it only takes a single reminder. If you see something at the range and do not confront the poor behavior you are just enabling it. If I am going to be placing targets at the 500 yd berm, I simply head over to the pistol range first and see what is going on. People seem to take the feedback well when I point out where there rounds are going.
I encourage you to attend the shoot to meet people face to face. You may always feel free to leave if you see something which makes you uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Krusty

I for one appreciate the offer and the gesture of a get together. But I am just too far away to make it feasible for me to attend. Thanks anyway, and I hope you have great turnout!

And as far as Range Officers. There are good and bad, depending how nit picking they want to be. But there are times when it's good to have someone nearby that has the authority to remove someone from the firing line, just for the good of the sport! Enough said on that.

Interceptor_Knight

And as far as Range Officers. There are good and bad, depending how nit picking they want to be. But there are times when it's good to have someone nearby that has the authority to remove someone from the firing line, just for the good of the sport! ......
The Shiocton PD will respond if called. If someone refuses to take feedback, I am confident that they can be removed from the range...

oak1971

I'll have to skip it. Don't feel like driving that far to freeze my nuts off. I still have free range time to use up at the heated indoor range. No Nazi's either.:p

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
The Wisconsin AR15 crowd is also planning a get together at the Yellowstone range sometime in Feb, FWIW.

I saw that posted on the arfcom WI hometown Forum.although I have been starting these winter shiocton shoots for 3 years now just something to do on a nice cold day. The Yellowstone FYNO shoot is too far away for me.

pahleh

I am adding a poll for the most popular date. the Date with the most hits by February 12th 2011 WINS.

The Shiocton range: Lake Park Rifle Range

Address: Village of Shiocton, WI
South of the Shiocton Airport
South of HWY 54 on Park Avenue.

Ice fishing or ammo-wasting; ice fishing or ammo wasting - d@mn, why'd you have to make it so difficult?