• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you explain the laws to someone who won't listen?

fire suppressor

Last night at work my manager and I where sitting around talking the conversation quickly turned to guns probably the only thing we have in common. He was talking about getting his CPL license so I took mine out to show him. The conversation quickly turned from conceal carry to me explaining why I love open carry. My manager laughed at me telling me for the past three years I have miss understood the laws and RCWs. My manager who has a ego to start with and would never allow him self to be corrected by some he deems beneath him then told me his understandings of the laws. According to him once you get your CPL CC is required by law, you can not OC or carry in any way into a bank and local officials have the authority to over ride the RCWs and state predemtion. After about 20 minutes our casual conversation stated to turn into a argument, not thinking yelling was the way to get my point across I ended the conversation. I even showed him the state constitution and RCW but he didn't care because once again local officials can over ride them. Any advise from future incidents like this?

j2l3

Find an OC friendly LEO to quietly insert into the conversation. Probably plain clothes and off duty is best. Let the LEO explain the in's and out's, then maybe mention what he does for a living.

therealcombat

Some advice: Don't get into arguments with superiors at work. Good way to find yourself unemployed. Sad, but true.

However, simply show him RCW 9.41.290. It CLEARLY states localities can't change firearms laws.

As for him claiming you have to conceal if you've got a concealed license: Tell him if he can provide an RCW which states this, he's won the argument. If he fails, he must concede defeat. :)

amlevin

Just say "Your probably right and I might just misunderstand the law(s)." Have a copy of RCW 9.41 handy and ask that he point out the pertinent sections that require concealment after obtaining a CPL. In fact it would be cool to hand him a highlighter at the same time and ask him to highlight the parts so you can study them.
Repeat for no carry in a Bank, and then point out 9.41.290. Ask him how that allows local to override state.

Play dumb and let him think he's going to "show you". He'll either refuse or tell you you didn't give him all the laws.

If that doesn't work don't bother. You could probably drag his butt before the Supreme Court and have them explain it to him and he'd never change his mind.

DEROS72

Last night at work my manager and I where sitting around talking the conversation quickly turned to guns probably the only thing we have in common. He was talking about getting his CPL license so I took mine out to show him. The conversation quickly turned from conceal carry to me explaining why I love open carry. My manager laughed at me telling me for the past three years I have miss understood the laws and RCWs. My manager who has a ego to start with and would never allow him self to be corrected by some he deems beneath him then told me his understandings of the laws. According to him once you get your CPL CC is required by law, you can not OC or carry in any way into a bank and local officials have the authority to over ride the RCWs and state predemtion. After about 20 minutes our casual conversation stated to turn into a argument, not thinking yelling was the way to get my point across I ended the conversation. I even showed him the state constitution and RCW but he didn't care because once again local officials can over ride them. Any advise from future incidents like this?

Well standing here at my bank counter would indicate that you are allowed to carry in banks.My daughter manages a bank and you wouldn't be kicked out...you could show him this.Iv'e talked to police in casual coversations while waiting at the bank.Bill and I were open carry in my bank managers private office..

Last edited:

amlevin

Well standing here at my bank counter would indicate that you are allowed to carry in banks.My daughter manages a bank and you wouldn't be kicked out...you could show him this.Iv'e talked to police in casual coversations while waiting at the bank.Bill and I were open carry in my bank managers private office..

Love the background in your picture. The brochures saying "More Fun, More Fun, More Fun, More Fun".

Words to live by.

Johnsmith1521

You can't fix stupid...

Just have him come to one of the meet ups or the 2A rally... "The truth is out there" Lol sorry had to say it... Or "The truth will sent him free"

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Find an OC friendly LEO to quietly insert into the conversation. Probably plain clothes and off duty is best. Let the LEO explain the in's and out's, then maybe mention what he does for a living.

I like the time the State Troopers shot down the Ceasefire folks when they tried to get the OC'ers kicked out of the Assault weapon hearing.

amzbrady

Dont forget to show him the picture of Deros and GoGo in a group hug with Rob McKenna in Seattle, and I would imagine they both had their CPL in thier back pocket while Open Carrying.

Just have him come to one of the meet ups or the 2A rally... "The truth is out there" Lol sorry had to say it... Or "The truth will sent him free"

I think that is a very good idea.

Lovenox

Just say "Your probably right and I might just misunderstand the law(s)." Have a copy of RCW 9.41 handy and ask that he point out the pertinent sections that require concealment after obtaining a CPL. In fact it would be cool to hand him a highlighter at the same time and ask him to highlight the parts so you can study them.
Repeat for no carry in a Bank, and then point out 9.41.290. Ask him how that allows local to override state.

Play dumb and let him think he's going to "show you". He'll either refuse or tell you you didn't give him all the laws.

If that doesn't work don't bother. You could probably drag his butt before the Supreme Court and have them explain it to him and he'd never change his mind.

+10