• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rules and regs for open carry in AZ

noonanda

Hi All new member with a few questions that were not really answered, or just need a little clarification. but before that want to introduce myself.
Active duty Military, just went over 18 years in the Marine Corps. Oklahoma Resident, Stationed up in 29 Palms California. I will be vacationing in the great free state of Arizona for about 10 days in the phoenix area and am looking into open carrying while I am there but before I do so I have a few questions on the law that I need clarification on. I am not an AZ CCW permit holder.

First off
1) Loaded open carry: Authorized even though I am a non-resident? I understand where I can and cannot open carry, but you have to remember I live in California where the only option for most is Unloaded open carry.

2)Travelling in a vehicle, must the firearm be unloaded if it is carried on the hip while driving? or must it be removed from the hip and stored in the glove box, or a locked container?

I apologize in advance, Im sure these same questions get asked over and over again but I was unable to get a confirmation on these.
Thanks for your time

azcdlfred

Hi All new member with a few questions that were not really answered, or just need a little clarification. but before that want to introduce myself.
Active duty Military, just went over 18 years in the Marine Corps. Oklahoma Resident, Stationed up in 29 Palms California. I will be vacationing in the great free state of Arizona for about 10 days in the phoenix area and am looking into open carrying while I am there but before I do so I have a few questions on the law that I need clarification on. I am not an AZ CCW permit holder.

1) Loaded open carry: Authorized even though I am a non-resident? I understand where I can and cannot open carry, but you have to remember I live in California where the only option for most is Unloaded open carry.

2)Travelling in a vehicle, must the firearm be unloaded if it is carried on the hip while driving? or must it be removed from the hip and stored in the glove box, or a locked container?
I can't figure if you just turned 18 years old, or if you just completed 18 years in the Corps?

If you are 21 or over, you don't need a government issued permission slip (CCW permit) to carry openly or discreetly in Arizona except - you cannot enter a place that serves booze unless you have a CCW permit (any state's), carry discreetly ("concealed") and don't drink - and the business doesn't post a sign about "no firearms."

21 or over it doesn't matter how you carry on yourself or in a vehicle.

Arizona law makes no distinction between loaded and unloaded.

For 18-21, only open carry and the law is ARS 13-3102.B.3. For vehicle carry, look at ARS 13-3102.B.3(e).

The best FREE information on gun laws in Arizona is here. I recommend reading it.

Fred

Last edited:

noonanda

I can't figure if you just turned 18 years old, or if you just completed 18 years in the Corps?

If you are 21 or over, you don't need a government issued permission slip (CCW permit) to carry openly or discreetly in Arizona except - you cannot enter a place that serves booze unless you have a CCW permit (any state's), carry discreetly ("concealed") and don't drink - and the business doesn't post a sign about "no firearms."

21 or over it doesn't matter how you carry on yourself or in a vehicle.

Arizona law makes no distinction between loaded and unloaded.

For 18-21, only open carry and the law is ARS 13-3102.B.3. For vehicle carry, look at ARS 13-3102.B.3(e).

The best FREE information on gun laws in Arizona is here. I recommend reading it.

Fred

Thanks for the 2nd link and has alot of good info, only thing is it seems to be mostly focused on CCW which I do not possess. missed the first link, reading it now.
Just hit 18 years in the Corps (36 years old LOL)
question on this part right here
Discreetly.. do you mean concealed? Does this mean you do not need a CCW unless you plan on entering the "forbidden places" (places only authorized for CCW carry such as school zones, alchohol establishments with no intent to drink ETC)?? Also does this apply to anyone or just arizona residents?
I know these questions may seem dumb and apologize in advance. Just dont want to break any laws

Last edited:

azcdlfred

Discreetly.. do you mean concealed?
"Concealed" implies you're doing something wrong. It's another one of those terms where we let the enemy define us - like "assault weapon," "sniper rifle," "Saturday Night Special" or "high capacity magazine."

Discreet = "concealed"

Does this mean you do not need a CCW unless you plan on entering the "forbidden places" (places only authorized for CCW carry such as school zones, alchohol establishments with no intent to drink ETC)?? Also does this apply to anyone or just arizona residents?

The only place you place you must have a CCW permit to carry in is a place that serves alcohol. It doesn't have to be an AZ permit.

Arizona does not have the Federal equivalent of the 1,000 foot rule for school zones and as far as I know, AZ cops don't enforce fedreral law.

AZ gun laws apply to non-residents, including foreign countries like the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia (PRK). Once you set foot on Arizona soil and breathe the air of freedom, the laws apply. If you're coming in from 29 Palms that probably means you're coming in on I-10? Once you cross the border into AZ, there's a rest stop where you can strap on your gun gear. And unlike the PRK, you won't be mugged or accosted in the bathroom for sex or drugs at the AZ rest stop.

Fred

noonanda

Thanks for the help and answers to my questions. Looking forward to Discreetly carrying when I come to Az, got a wife a 3 beautiful girls that I always worry about, might need to retire to AZ in a few years LOL