• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

so why can a library

bmwguy11

Why can a library post, even though a city decides not to post?

I have been trying to dig through the wisconsin state statutes, and I can't find anything that would seem to apply. Does anyone know what gives libraries the authority to do something different than the city?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

What has a library to do with the political subdivision (city, town, village) in which it is sited? The local library here is a branch of a county library. I may add more on later edit ...

This may help http://dpi.wi.gov/pld/trusteefaq.html

None of the library policies, collected here http://dpi.wi.gov/pld/policies.html, addressed firearms/guns.

The governing statute chapter is Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 43 Libraries

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

A library usually has thier own 'board of governance' (if you will for the lack of the proper tem) to make decisions of the library. I suppose it would be like the County Board letting City Councils make decisions on city matters, not that a library is a political subdivision of city government, but it has it's own governing board.

GlockRDH

A library usually has thier own 'board of governance' (if you will for the lack of the proper tem) to make decisions of the library. I suppose it would be like the County Board letting City Councils make decisions on city matters, not that a library is a political subdivision of city government, but it has it's own governing board.

is that goverening board allowed to make rules stricter than the level of government directly above it???

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Library boards have a lot of independence to make decisions affecting the library. As I mentioned earlier, librarians are very serious about first amendment rights and the fight against censorship.