• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Total Firearm's Indoor Range

WilDChilD

I was going to take the wife to do some shooting today. To cold to enjoy being outside so I thought we could check out Total's indoor range. Was just wondering what pople have thought of it. Do they call a cease fire or are the targets on a string? Are they normally really busy? Do they stand over your shoulder and watch you constantly? Never been to an indoor range so I was just wondering what to expect. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I was going to take the wife to do some shooting today. To cold to enjoy being outside so I thought we could check out Total's indoor range. Was just wondering what pople have thought of it. Do they call a cease fire or are the targets on a string? Are they normally really busy? Do they stand over your shoulder and watch you constantly? Never been to an indoor range so I was just wondering what to expect. Thanks for any info.

You will like it. Range officers are all about the same, they tend to be controlling. But if you follow safe gun handling and appear to know what you are doing they tend to leave you alone. I have shot there a few times and never had a problem.

The targets retract so you fire at will. Follow safe gun handling and follow their rules and you should have a good time.

Tucker6900

You will like it. Range officers are all about the same, they tend to be controlling. But if you follow safe gun handling and appear to know what you are doing they tend to leave you alone. I have shot there a few times and never had a problem.

The targets retract so you fire at will. Follow safe gun handling and follow their rules and you should have a good time.

+1

Its a good range. As Vanator mentioned, follow the rules and you shouldnt have a problem.

TheQ

"Ranger Rick" (the cranky range officer) will insist you do not OC a holstered handgun while on the range. He will make you leave it on the firing line breach opened.

WilDChilD

Thanks for the quick advice. We live out in the country with lots of land so I dont normally have to go anywhere to shoot. Just dont want range officer breathing down my neck all afternoon about my grip or stance or some other bs reason to be all up in my sh!t. I will let you guys (and gals) know how it went.

lil_freak_66

"Ranger Rick" (the cranky range officer) will insist you do not OC a holstered handgun while on the range. He will make you leave it on the firing line breach opened.

it is entirely possible that he has been talked to since the last time me and TheQ went there a few weeks ago, however, as we brought our displeasure to the manager whom said they allow it and would handle it.

its a decent range though, i was planning on going today as well until the wind blew the door on the work van into my hand..

If you havent gone yet and would like to meet up in Holt for lunch or something, let me know.

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

Ill take your word for it then, guess ill go back to avoiding total firearms like the plague until i hear they are friendly with openly carried firearms(which are not being fired or otherwise removed from holster) inside the range or the regular part of the store.

Ken56

Now thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. I go to the range to fire my carry gun and get in some practice with it. What difference does the method I bring it with me make? How on earth is a holstered pistol on my hip any MORE DANGEROUS than the one in my hand if I should bring my Buckmark in the bag with me and take it out there ??? Am I missing something here? I have never had a problem unholstering my carry gun ON THE FIREING LINE at Advanced Ranges in Burton. Have I misunderstood this?

HKcarrier

Last time I shot, the range guy was a little annoying with trying to correct my grip, etc.... I really didn't mind ALL that much because I'm ok with constructive criticism... but I could see how some people would get aggitated by that. I was hitting the 11x8 paper with every shot... and that's good enough for me. If I had a wild miss near the corner or something, I would use that as a new bull in order to get more mileage out of my target... I think he thought I sucked since I was hitting consistently low and right... durrrr I was aiming there.

fozzy71

Now thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. I go to the range to fire my carry gun and get in some practice with it. What difference does the method I bring it with me make? How on earth is a holstered pistol on my hip any MORE DANGEROUS than the one in my hand if I should bring my Buckmark in the bag with me and take it out there ??? Am I missing something here? I have never had a problem unholstering my carry gun ON THE FIREING LINE at Advanced Ranges in Burton. Have I misunderstood this?

Sounds like you nailed it. Peter's range in Roseville would allow me to draw from my holstered weapon but I couldn't OC it in the store to get to the range. I told them I would never be back or buy another gun from them once they put up the No OC signs. I abandoned my pre-paid range membership and have bought 2 other guns since then from their competitors in the area.

TheQ

To be clear -- you can OC into the store and into the Range at Total Firearms. You may even be able to shoot while OCing a second gun (if "Ranger Rick" isn't the RSO). You definitely cannot draw/shoot at the range.

budlight

I've been there since we were there. He asked me to leave my piece on the firing line.

Do they actually have someone standing next to the line supervising everyone? The couple of indoor ranges that I have been to are connected to gun shops. They go over the rules and can see you through the glass. The only time they come into the range itself is if someone is not following the safety rules.

scot623

A lot of ranges do not allow draw and fire from a holster. They have no idea of your level of training and don't want to see you shoot yourself in the leg. CQT will only allow draw from a holster if you have taken their Handgun 1 training course(or unless they know you). Seems reasonable to me. Nobody wants to see this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adhl6-C5t3s&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLC968AD8923EE7F19

Though, this is f'n hilarious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGmTrQXrwg

Last edited:

fozzy71

A lot of ranges do not allow draw and fire from a holster. ...

Yes, I should have added a caveat that I only did it a few times at Peter's so they may not have noticed, but they were generally lax about rules that other ranges nit-pick about. Regardless of those facts, I won't be going back there due to their No OC policy. I haven't been on the CQT range yet but I think I will sign up for their HG1 class in the near future, so thx for the reminder.

griffin

The first time I went to Total Firearms indoor range there was no RO in the room, but it was just me alone. Don't know if that made a difference or not. Subsequent to then there has always been one I think.

TheQ

Don't be confused, there are two different ricks that run the range. One is "Ranger Rick" -- the other is a nice fellow.