• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Amother instant check issue/question

builtjeep

So I let a friend borrow one of my 1911's (RIA compact tactical) and a holster to OC last weekend and now he's hooked. He went out to Bob Moate's Wednesday afternoon after finding out they were the only one's local who had the same RIA that I have.

Filled out his paperwork and was delayed. He says that they told him he was delayed until 3/20. That sounds odd to me, I thought that if you were delayed you were delayed, didn't know they could tell you when they would get around to finishing your "instant" check. I told him that my understanding was that they could legally transfer the gun to him after 72 hrs, but that not all stores would abide by that.

So has anyone heard of getting a dated delay? Has anyone had any experience with Bob Moate's and the 72hr rule, or are there circumstance's that nullify the 72hr thing? I know this guy isn't a felon, I've known him since we were in high school. He does have a DUI from a few years ago, and had a concealed weapon charge that was dropped (not sure if it was dismissed or nol prosse'd, but the court kept his revolver.)

Last edited:

Marco

From my understanding (someone will correct if I'm wrong).
The day you start doesn't count and neither do weekend /holidays.

So by starting the procees on wed. 3/14.

thur 3/15 counts as day one
fri 3/16 counts as day two

neither sat 3/17 nor Sun 3/18 count towards the 72 hrs.

so that would make mon 3/19 day three but I pressume Bob's is closed

That would mean 3/20.. they are probably just trying to cover themselves and have you come back after the 72hr has offically expired, they may or may not call before if the approval comes in early.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That makes sense, just sounded odd to me.

They may not comply with the 72 hour rule anyway. They were one of the Bloomberg victims and I'm convinced that contributed greatly to Bob's death. I'd hate to classify them as "Bad" or "Not in compliance ":p .... because Bob and I were fighting city hall and the General Assembly long before the NOVAites discovered guns.....but I will!

Last edited:

tkd2006

From my understanding (someone will correct if I'm wrong).
The day you start doesn't count and neither do weekend /holidays.

So by starting the procees on wed. 3/14.

thur 3/15 counts as day one
fri 3/16 counts as day two

neither sat 3/17 nor Sun 3/18 count towards the 72 hrs.

so that would make mon 3/19 day three but I pressume Bob's is closed

That would mean 3/20.. they are probably just trying to cover themselves and have you come back after the 72hr has offically expired, they may or may not call before if the approval comes in early.

kind of correct, the day you purchase does not count in the 3 days process so if he purchased on the 14th day 1 is the 15th day 2 is the 16th and day 3 is the 19th which mean the gun would be his on the 20th provided Bob will give it to him. You have the correct dates just wrong reason, it has nothing to do with Bob being closed. they have 3 days a full 72 hours before the gun can be released.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
They may not comply with the 72 hour rule anyway. They were one of the Bloomberg victims and I'm convinced that contributed greatly to Bob's death. I'd hate to classify them as "Bad" or "Not in compliance ":p .... because Bob and I were fighting city hall and the General Assembly long before the NOVAites discovered guns.....but I will!

I know you're kidding with this one. We've always had access to guns here.

Question to the OP. Why was he delayed? Did they tell him? What was the holdup. Lst time I bought a firearm, the check took about seven minutes (12 days ago).

Last edited:

CoryB

Newbie here, but I work in a gun store. This is how it works:

When we enter the customer information for the background check, the VSP system uses the information entered. If the approval is instant, the customer walks out with their gun. If there is a delay, the return information from VSP gives the date on which the firearm may be transferred, with a note that the Transferer must notify VSP if this is done prior to an approval being issued. We, the gun dealers, don't make up the date of when the gun can be transferred - it's right there on the information from the VSP.

We get NO information about why someone is delayed or denied. That is a privacy issue and we are not privvy to it.

We're really not the bad guys. We don't make any money if the customer can't pick up the gun they want. Why would we not let them get it if we can legally do so?

FWIW, I had a customer delayed on 3/15 and his transfer date was also 3/20. It wasn't just your friend.

TFred

FWIW, I had a customer delayed on 3/15 and his transfer date was also 3/20. It wasn't just your friend.
So it sounds like, as posted before, this date is the end of the 72 hour clock as the state counts. It should probably be noted that this isn't saying it will take that long until an approval will be granted, but that is the deadline which upon being reached, the gun may be transferred anyway.

Is that a fair assessment?

TFred

builtjeep

Good to know that vsp actually includes the dat that it can be transfered without the approval, thanks for clarifying.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that the dealer was doing something wrong, it just seemed strange because i'd never heard of anyone being given the date when they could pick it up. FWIW, I've had nothing but good experiences shopping at Bob's.

I'll be purchasing a new piece this Friday, hopefully I will not be delayed, haven't been previously. Picking up a Kahr CW45.

Sent from two cans with a string.

builtjeep

Picked up the new piece today. Several other people were waiting around and I heard a couple of people come back as delayed, mine however was approved right off the bat.

IMG_20120323_131034.jpg

builtjeep

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it fits quite well into my Crossbreed 1911 holster, will probably order a new holster made for the Kahr anyway.

CoryB

So it sounds like, as posted before, this date is the end of the 72 hour clock as the state counts. It should probably be noted that this isn't saying it will take that long until an approval will be granted, but that is the deadline which upon being reached, the gun may be transferred anyway.

Is that a fair assessment?

TFred

That is a correct assessment.