• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boyscouts/Cubscouts violate 2a?

Tucker6900

It has come to my attention the BSA is not lawful firearm friendly

14.Except for (1) law enforcement officers required to carry firearms within their jurisdiction, and (2) circumstances within the scope of the BSA hunting policy statement, firearms should not be in the possession of any person engaged in camping, hiking, backpacking, or any other Scouting activity other than those specifically planned for target shooting under the supervision of a certified firearms instructor. (Among the purposes of this policy is to prohibit adult leaders from bringing firearms on BSA camping and hiking activities or to unit meetings.)

That can be found at the following link:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss08.aspx

I have a big problem with this. If any of you have boys in the scouts, you know that they are in support of the US and its Constitution. However, this policy directly violates that support.

In my sons troop, they say the pledge of allegiance, and get a badge for learning certain parts of the Constitution and Declaration of Independance. I have only been to two meetings, and have carried both times, so I may be shouting from the rooftops at noone, but this policy bugs me.

Has anyone else had issues with this in regards to carrying during scouting events?

eye95

Shame on the Scouts! But they are not violating the 2A. They are merely exercising their own rights--in a way that you and I find offensive and inexcusable.

Carriers who are affiliated with the Scouts should mount a campaign to change this policy.

Tucker6900

Shame on the Scouts! But they are not violating the 2A. They are merely exercising their own rights--in a way that you and I find offensive and inexcusable.

Carriers who are affiliated with the Scouts should mount a campaign to change this policy.

Well, considering most of the meetings are on public property, how can they prevent it legally?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Shame on the Scouts! But they are not violating the 2A. ...

He said they were violating their famous support of the Constitution, not that they were themselves violating the 2nd Amendment. (EDIT: I just reread the thread title. He did say that there...)

And he's right. (EDIT: Not in the thread title; you got him there.)

It has been a LONG time since the Scouts were what they were founded to be. It is time for them to retire, or change their name so we stop confusing them with the original Scouts.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Well, considering most of the meetings are on public property, how can they prevent it legally?

What are the terms of where they camp/meet? Are people allowed to camp/assemble right in their midst even though they are not part of the group? Or do the Scouts lease the area they are using and maintain official control?

I'd imagine the leadership (and I use that term loosely) would make it difficult on a parent (and especially on their child) if they violate their hoplophobia.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Carriers who are affiliated with the Scouts should mount a campaign to change this policy.

I have several times volunteered as a firearms instructor at official Scout camps, for their Venture Crews. Next time I am asked to do this, I will verify their overall firearms policies, and will decline if they are as described here. I will make sure they know why.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
BSA's firearms policy was developed years ago in order to limit their exposure to liability for harm/injury to scouts.

It was done by the same folks who made the very conscious and deliberate decision not to report sex offenders.

If there was ever an activity that taught responsibility and self control, shooting has got to be close to, if not at, the top of the list. It's not something you can make excuses for, because the next person in line is going to take the same firearm you said was all messed up and run up a score of 100/10X.

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I suspect there is enough support for 2A at the local level for some individuals to skirt the rule. As I recall, the individual troops are fairly autonomous.

Perhaps OC in any given troop is asking for too much attention from the district or council level. Perhaps discreet carry (better term for CC) is better in some troops.

I like the adage, "It is better to ask forgiveness than ask permission."

Also, there is no reason the real participants--boys and their parents--cannot put a little pressure back up the channels to steer Scouting back towards its founding principles.

papa bear

i have over thirty years in scouting, and the no carry on scout reserves has always bothered me.

i was a rifle instructor for years and most of the ones that worked at camp were very pro gun. it's just the council office that are stupid

And SKID we were always taught to report sexual offenders and to not tolerate them period

eye95

If they have been given use of that property, it is theirs to enjoy, much like if they owned it. The idea is not unlike a person's rental being theirs to enjoy, even to the extent of making rules that visitors must follow.

Now, if they are given a room or two to "enjoy," you'd be free to wander the halls armed, assuming that you would have been otherwise. But you would be disrespecting the rights of the Scout's organization to carry into the room, and they would be justified in asking you to leave.

That being said, let me remind everyone that I find the Scout's position despicable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>