• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Police Chief steps down......

EMNofSeattle

So Chief John Diaz of the Seattle Police Department has stepped down today, alot of the news media in this areas seems to keep referencing the federal monitor plans being made after the DOJ investigation (which I still maintain was a sham but oh well).Interestingly enough the radio (KOMO 1000 at about 11:00 when I was driving home from Mill Creek) mentioned that the news was unofficially announced by Bruce Harrell (a seattle councilman who is running for Mayor)

Of course Diaz's departure itself doesn't really raise much OC related issues, however this is the OC related point I will make.

With Diaz's [strike]resignation[/strike] retirement effective in May, Asst. Chief Jim Pugil will take the helm, at least in the interim until another chief is selected. this of course means candidates from around the country, and probably a few from within SPD will apply as well, which brings us to Assistant Chief Nick Metz, who's been a vocal supporter of gun control in Washington, managing buybacks, and testifying while representing the Department on support for the (now deceased) House Bill 1588.

I think residents of Seattle who support their rights need to be very attentive to who puts their name in the hat to become police chief. and be monitoring the process at ever stage...

Beretta92FSLady

This is....so sad!

Good riddance....thanks for your service.

I'm sure McGinn's going to make an intelligent choice this time around:rolleyes:

Beretta92FSLady

You said this with a straight face????.....????? Come on.

NM - the roll eye thing didn't show up on my screen.

I'm Liberal, Gay, a gun toter, OC'r, and can't stand McGinn...nor his crony.

I'm wondering who's running against McGinn.

Diez:
...“We’ve gone through some challenges,” he said during the news conference.... http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/04/seattle-police-chief-john-diaz-stepping-down/

Chief, that's the understatement of the year, friend. You had one officer murder a homeless man that was minding his own business, walking down the street.

Chief, you had police officers, but by the grace of portable recording devices in the hands of most Seattlites, exposed, kicking handcuffed suspects, threatening to "kick the mexican piss out" of them.

Chief, you fought with the FED's about policy changes, because the ones you were supporting, well, they worked out so well.

There's a huge gap between the community, and officers. Diez only let it widen, and McGinn only let it widen. Hopefully all of us here in Seattle pull our collective head out of our collective ass, and demand these idiots form a policy where officers cultivate trust with the community, not distrust.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
The one thing that concerns me is, what if his replacement is worse? Just like NK, take out Un and who's to say his replacement won't be even more psycho.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
For the last 2 years I called for Diaz resignation or firing. Now we have that....
For the last 2 years I have also called for the top brass within the SPD to be replaced as well... I believe this is a critical point to correct the oppressive ways of the SPD.

The new chief must not come from the SPD.

However, McGinn will more than likely hire a lackey.

EMNofSeattle

For the last 2 years I called for Diaz resignation or firing. Now we have that....
For the last 2 years I have also called for the top brass within the SPD to be replaced as well... I believe this is a critical point to correct the oppressive ways of the SPD.

The new chief must not come from the SPD.

However, McGinn will more than likely hire a lackey.

That's a broad statement to make, I'm sure there's some officials within SPD who are more agreeable to gun rights. I've been to numerous events in Seattle and talked to SPD officers, at least assuming they're being truthful, it seems the vast majority of Officers and Sergeants don't really mind OC or CC be average citizens. at the ceasefire march I also talked to an SPD captain (can't remember his name, but he was wearing the railroad tracks on his uniform shirt) who said that he actually wished all law abiding citizens would OC because he never assumes an OCer is up to no good....

if they choose an MoS like that it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think hiring outside the department would help, because we know if they hire outside it will be some big city transplant from NJ or California, or Massachuesitts, or Denver, or wherever. it's doubtful they'll choose someone who is friendly gun rights if they hire outside, on the otherhand if they hire the right asst chief or Captain who's been silent on the gun issue but really supports rights, it will end up better then hiring Inspector O' Brien, NYPD to fill the slot...

EDIT

Also someone who's worked SPD most of their career is already familiar with our gun culture, even if they disagree, they're unlikely to start sicing officers on OCers or make sweeping changes to MWAG response policy. when they come to sell their resume to the Mayor they'll be talking about their service record and the years they've served seattle.

if an outsider comes in, they're more likely to shake up the department and do things "their way" (which is not nessecarily better) they'll also sell their resume by sucking up to McGinn's politics
"oh yeah, don't search black people, yeah community policing that's the stuff, yeah guns are all evil who needs one, right there with you mr mayor all these homeless people should be allowed to harass people and masturbate in alleyways, right there with ya" Frankly I don't think Diaz was that bad, not compared to Gil Kerlikowske anyway......

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
It's not a broad statement, it's a BOLD statement to make. And I have been making that statement for the last 2 years, including to the Mayor himself.

My statement has little to do with OC/CC...

It has to do with numerous civil rights abuses over the years. There is a culture of abuse of rights within the department. We have evidence from the DOJ.

And frankly Erik, you have no clue.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

It's not a broad statement, it's a BOLD statement to make. And I have been making that statement for the last 2 years, including to the Mayor himself.

My statement has little to do with OC/CC...

It has to do with numerous civil rights abuses over the years. There is a culture of abuse of rights within the department. We have evidence from the DOJ.

And frankly Erik, you have no clue.

Do you have anyone in particular you'd like to see get the job?

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
No. No one in particular.

I would like to see the pool of candidates and hopefully there are candidates that don't come from a department that has a history of civil rights abuses.

Additionally the mayor is up for reelection this year and is not necessarily the favored for a 2nd term. Thus an appointment by the mayor may not be the best thing for the people.

Last edited:

gsx1138

No. No one in particular.

I would like to see the pool of candidates and hopefully there are candidates that don't come from a department that has a history of civil rights abuses.

Additionally the mayor is up for reelection this year and is not necessarily the favored for a 2nd term. Thus an appointment by the mayor may not be the best thing for the people.

Which means that's what will happen. I know SPD has serious issues but until they start cleaning house (not going to happen with the police union there) nothing will change. A Police Chief can't really change anything if the top guys don't want to change.

Beretta92FSLady

Which means that's what will happen. I know SPD has serious issues but until they start cleaning house (not going to happen with the police union there) nothing will change. A Police Chief can't really change anything if the top guys don't want to change.

Hopefully, when McGinn is apply for his job again, someone can muster a campaign more substantive than "I'm not McGinn."

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Be very very quiet, I'm leaving the building.

th