• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vancouver Walmart

The Patriot

I stopped by The Couv Walmart on 103 and Mill Plain. As we were looking at the goods outside the store, the security guard got out of his truck and approached me. He asked me if I had my CPL, I said yes and then asked me to cover, I informed him that Washington is an open carry state. He again asked for me to cover because there were kids around and he did not want them to be startled. I looked around and asked which kids? He then pointed to the ones that were mine. After I told him that he asked if I was saying NO and I said I will not cover. I informed him that Walmart policy is to comply with all state laws. I shopped here dozens of times while open carrying without incident. He asked if I minded if he called it in to the front office and I said that is up to you. I gave him website info and he went and pulled it up on his phone. That is the first half of incident.

As I was shopping a passer-by came up and informed me that I needed to cover up my pistol, I said that Washington is an open carry state. His reply "I worked in a gun store and the sherriff told me that in places like walmart you have to cover up" and then he was off like a gazelle spotting a cheetah. It irritated me that the uneducated will make statements like that and not want to talk about them.

Then I noticed the little asian guy following me around the store talking on his walkie talkie and every employee was now staring at me. Needless to say I will continue shopping there but if the security guard had not phoned it in to the front office my experience would have been an absolute normal day of OC'ing.

MKEgal

The Patriot said:
the security guard got out of his truck and approached me. He asked me if I had my CPL
"Why do you need to know?"

asked for me to cover because there were kids around and he did not want them to be startled.
I looked around and asked which kids?
He then pointed to the ones that were mine.
That's rich!

the sheriff told me that in places like walmart you have to cover up
:banghead: Too many people think that LEO actually know laws.
Many of them know many laws, but way way way too often we (collectively) have learned that what they don't know will hurt us. Especially in the areas of firearms & self-defense, we need to know more than they do & be able to tell them where to look in their little book of laws to find the truth.

Then I noticed the little asian guy following me around the store talking on his walkie talkie and every employee was now staring at me.
That's rude. Did you phone the manager later?
They're perfectly able to follow people on camera. The only reason to do it in person is intimidation.
OTOH, he obviously didn't see you as a threat.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I don't have my CPL with me sir. I apologize if that is an inconvenience to your job here today, excuse me I have some shopping to do.

These kids are mine. They are only startled by your ignorance.

Sheriff Lucas? Oh he is a friend of mine and knows that OC is legal. You must be confused with the Vancouver PD, they are quite ignorant. (BTW, I attended the funeral of a CCSO Deputy last week and was OC the entire time with many Deputies around, including in a church where there was a sign that said no weapons allowed.)

Last edited:

amzbrady

I stopped by The Couv Walmart on 103 and Mill Plain. As we were looking at the goods outside the store, the security guard got out of his truck and approached me.

Then I noticed the little asian guy following me around the store talking on his walkie talkie and every employee was now staring at me. Needless to say I will continue shopping there but if the security guard had not phoned it in to the front office my experience would have been an absolute normal day of OC'ing.

Was the security, employeed by Wal-Mart or some other company?

They have secret ninjas that keep eveyone safe.

The Patriot

Was the security, employeed by Wal-Mart or some other company?

They have secret ninjas that keep eveyone safe.

I am not trying to be disparriging to Asians, just describing what was happening.

As far as the guy with the leo comment, I went to give him some info and he was like a vapor, disappeared. So ignorance will still be bliss for him.