• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Living the nomad life

Jack House

So I'm in Louisiana now, got a good job with good pay. Problem being that I don't have a permanent address.

I'm living in a motel and will be so for a few months or more. I have a permanent address I can use, but that's in Texas. Obviously this presents some issues. Like residency which effects driver's license, carry license, purchasing guns and the like.

Anyone got any ideas on how I should proceed? Been looking for information about residency status, but can't really find anything.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Anonymouse

So I'm in Louisiana now, got a good job with good pay. Problem being that I don't have a permanent address.

I'm living in a motel and will be so for a few months or more. I have a permanent address I can use, but that's in Texas. Obviously this presents some issues. Like residency which effects driver's license, carry license, purchasing guns and the like.

Anyone got any ideas on how I should proceed? Been looking for information about residency status, but can't really find anything.

Month to month p.o. box rental from some place like Mailboxes Etc for mailing address.

You can also use the motel for your home address. Many motels will let longterm residents receive some mail that has to go to a home address.

I've done this before with a motel six.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jack House

Texas DPS for my CHL. Louisiana and/or Texas for DL and vehicle registration.

Might just use the motel address like Anonymouse suggested.

American Pride!

Go to a UPS/fedex store...they have boxes you can rent with a physical address. Street address not a P.O. box

Costs a little extra...but, also...if you order a package let's say, and it requires a signature, they always have people there to sign

I paid about $20 for a month, but only needed 1. Longer needs, lower cost.

Jack House

You shouldn't have to have an address for anything. This is something I brought up on another forum discussing national IDs.

Right now my rights to purchase a weapon are being trampled on.

Jack House

I didn't really even think about that. I have in the past when thinking about the people that retire to an RV and travel. But like yesterday I was thinking about how I finally had a job where I could start building a decent gun collection but can't until I establish permanent residency in Louisiana. Unless I buy them back home, which will about $100 in gas. Grrr

I think I can buy long guns out of state though, yes? BRB, research time.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I think I can buy long guns out of state though, yes? BRB, research time.

Federally, yes. You are only subject to the laws of the state you are in, the state of your residence, and the store's policies.

Jack House

I believe so, but I personally have an aversion to used goods.

WalkingWolf

You can get a DL with a PO Box, once you are there whatever the requirement by LA you will have established residency. The motel should not really factor into it.

Anonymouse

You can get a DL with a PO Box, once you are there whatever the requirement by LA you will have established residency. The motel should not really factor into it.

Is that a state by state thing? Most states want proof of residency with the address you live at.

WalkingWolf

Is that a state by state thing? Most states want proof of residency with the address you live at.

I have been able to get a DL in every state I have lived in with just prove of identity. In fact all I needed was the DL from the state I was moving from.

Anonymouse

I have been able to get a DL in every state I have lived in with just prove of identity. In fact all I needed was the DL from the state I was moving from.

When I got my drivers license in VA I needed my DL from IN, birth certificate, social security card and a bill or other govt id with my address on it. Hmmm...

http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/omv...d28920919b72587986256d870055c73f?OpenDocument

Q. How do I transfer my out-of-state driver's license?

A. As a new Louisiana resident, you are required to transfer your out-of-state driver’s license to Louisiana within 30 days. You must appear in person at a local Office of Motor Vehicles to apply for a Louisiana driver’s license. Please take one primary document, your current, valid out-of-state driver’s license, or official driving record (This may be faxed directly to the OMV office by the previous licensing authority.), or teletype printout from law enforcement, Social Security Card, and proof of insurance if you own an automobile (see Section 1, Policy 6.00 for a complete list of acceptable primary identification documents). Minors, 17 years of age or younger, must be accompanied by custodial parent or legal guardian with picture I.D. In case of joint custody, only domiciliary parent may sign. All applicants must meet visual and medical requirements. Persons transferring valid, non-commercial, out-of-state licenses (as exemplified in Louisiana's Class E and D) will NOT be required to take any examination other than the vision test. You will be issued a Louisiana license that is equivalent to the one you are surrendering from out of state.
Fee: Class E - $24.50 (This fee is an estimate as an additional parish fee may exist in some offices which will not to exceed $3) CASH or Money Order(Refer to Section 1, Policy 2.00 for other fees)

Doesn't say anything about proof of residence here.

Interesting...

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I was able to get one in my state with no ID.

Of course this was because our Governor seemed admitted drivers license has more to do with law enforcement than anything else.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

And you don't need a SSN either to get a DRIVER LICENSE in Washington.

I know. I tested it they weren't happy about it but I got my license. I have a video of Gregoire stating it, but later she changed her stance when WA licenses were selling for around $3000 or so because it is Recognized by the feds as legal ID.