• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

D.C. announces intent to make permitting system “as restrictive as possible”

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
It was no surprise when a 90 day stay was granted in the case of Palmer v. D.C. And it should come as no surprise that D.C. is planning to use that time to make sure that whatever system ultimately results from the ruling is “as restrictive as possible.”

Those are the exact words of D.C. Councilmember and mayoral candidate David Catania. But Councilmember Catania is not alone is his disregard for the rights of D.C. citizens.

Councilmember Tommy Wells, chairman of the Committee on the Judiciary and Public Safety, indicated that the council is “going to prepare by working on legislation that will pass [constitutional] muster.” He indicated that he will be looking at Maryland’s restrictive may-issue law whose “good and substantial reason” requirement was upheld last year by the 4th Circuit in Woolard v. Gallagher.

What would such a system mean for residents of the District? It would mean the same thing that it means for the residents of those states still suffering under a may-issue system … cronyism, discrimination, and an almost complete ban for those who are not politically connected. The poor need not apply.

While no one can ultimately predict what will happen on October 22 when the stay ends, we can be sure that D.C. will do everything in their power to make sure that it is not in the best interests of gun owners.

From The Law Office of John Pierce, Esq.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
"restrictive as possible?" At least it won't be "infringed," though.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
John, can you suggest to whom and what we need to communicate regarding DC's intentions? Gura? NRA? GOA?

What I read as Gura's acceptance of turning a RIGHT into a privilege really ticks me off.

Your words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

davidmcbeth

Banned
John, can you suggest to whom and what we need to communicate regarding DC's intentions? Gura? NRA? GOA?

What I read as Gura's acceptance of turning a RIGHT into a privilege really ticks me off.

Your words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Lawyers only make $$$ off conflict....so his acceptance does not surprise me. He's not the pro-gunner people think that he is.

Shovelhead

D.C. announces intent to make permitting system “as restrictive as possible”

Here's my shocked face...........

Attachments

• Shockedface.jpg
    Shockedface.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 129

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
David,

Gura is very pro gun. I have talked with him and seen his efforts for over seven years. He is THE pro gun lawyer we want fighting for our rights.
Hmmm. How do you explain his apparent acceptance of turning a RIGHT into a privilege? (in Woollard, Moore v Madigan, and this case)

I've been in contact with another person who has known him over the years who said "He’s always been a little weak on the licensing thing. I remember that from DC v Heller", so you'll pardon me if I don't swoon at your interpretation of how "pro gun" he is.

rightwinglibertarian

It was no surprise when a 90 day stay was granted in the case of Palmer v. D.C. And it should come as no surprise that D.C. is planning to use that time to make sure that whatever system ultimately results from the ruling is “as restrictive as possible.”

"restrictive as possible?" At least it won't be "infringed," though.

oh no..... of course not :p Please tell me the NRA, GOA and any true Americans left will fight tooth and nail and never rest until not just DC but all 50 states recognize and understand the Second Amendment MUST mean Constitutional Carry. Unless the place is a private business there can be no place one is not permitted to carry including public buildings. There is enough precedent left to understand any system implemented will be unconstitutional, illegal and there is no reason or justification to pretend is has any force at all. it doesnt. Regardless of what some corrupt judge, police officer or government body says. They are subject to the Constitution and we must hold them to it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nobody really prefers baby steps as a means to their goals - giant steps are more effective. Nevertheless, the shorter strides do provided firm ground under foot and collectively add up to progress.

General Electric's old slogan comes to mind = Progress Is Our Most Important Product.

swinokur

Activist Member
Judge Scullin, in his ruling, said self defense is a reason to allow carry. How would DC proceed with any kind of may issue G&S scheme like MD in light of that?

I guess they can do it and then we go back to litigating for a few more years.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Judge Scullin, in his ruling, said self defense is a reason to allow carry. How would DC proceed with any kind of may issue G&S scheme like MD in light of that?

I guess they can do it and then we go back to litigating for a few more years.
Unfortuneately, that will likely be the case.

swinokur

Activist Member
If DC continues to delay, obfuscate the issues and evade the ruling, it just makes the case for National reciprocity stronger IMO.

What better stage than right in front of Congress?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Nobody really prefers baby steps as a means to their goals - giant steps are more effective. Nevertheless, the shorter strides do provided firm ground under foot and collectively add up to progress...
Yes, but with people who have no intention of doing so, how does one move from acceptance of a licensing system to pushing for recognition of a RIGHT? (in or out of court)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, but with people who have no intention of doing so, how does one move from acceptance of a licensing system to pushing for recognition of a RIGHT? (in or out of court)
Become active by joining and supporting local organizations like VCDL and national orgs such as SAF, GOA, JPFO.

Add to that to lobby your legislature and educate the public.