• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to your state!!

Tucker6900

Hey all. Gonna be heading to Minnesota this weekend for some business. Am looking forward to seeing your state. Just a couple questions:

1) Open Carry Legal?

2) Iowa Permit legal for Minnesota Carry?

3) If the answer to #2 is yes, am I required to carry my permit while open carrying?

tjkruck

Hey all. Gonna be heading to Minnesota this weekend for some business. Am looking forward to seeing your state. Just a couple questions:

1) Open Carry Legal?

2) Iowa Permit legal for Minnesota Carry?

3) If the answer to #2 is yes, am I required to carry my permit while open carrying?

Open carry legal with permit to carry, It does look that Iowa permit is honored, yes you have to have your permit with you while you have your firearm on your person

Irish.40

Open carry legal with permit to carry, It does look that Iowa permit is honored, yes you have to have your permit with you while you have your firearm on your person

You beat me to it. I couldnt find the statute. Will you quote it?

Irish.40

Handgunlaw.us states MN is a not required to inform, which it is. So im not sure of that sites validity. Also be cautious when siting a phone app about state law. Personal research is the only way to be sure. I'll post more when I have time to look it up.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
You beat me to it. I couldnt find the statute. Will you quote it?

Minnesota law, Minn. Stat. § 624.714, requires a permit to "carr[y], hold[], or possess[] a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the person, or otherwise in possession or control in a public place," without regard to whether it is carried openly or concealed. See Minn. Stat. § 624.712 for definitions. The list of states whose permits are valid in Minnesota under Minn. Stat. § 624.714 subd. 16 is available here. Currently, only 15 states are on the recognition list, and Iowa is not one of them. Minnesota issues nonresident permits (however, you must take a Minnesota-specific class and apply in person); I also suggest a Utah nonresident permit (requires a Utah-specific class but the application can be sent by mail). Minnesota does not require you to immediately disclose to a LEO that you are carrying but does require that "pon the request of a peace officer, a permit holder shall disclose to the officer whether or not the permit holder is currently carrying a firearm."

Last edited:

tjkruck

Handgunlaw.us states MN is a not required to inform, which it is. So im not sure of that sites validity. Also be cautious when siting a phone app about state law. Personal research is the only way to be sure. I'll post more when I have time to look it up.

Surprisingly when there is a change in a law in any state there has been an update, I do use other sources as well I do have multiple states downloaded from handgunlaw.us saved on my phone just to have multiple sources

tletourneau

You're only required to inform if asked, you are not required to inform otherwise.

Cite: 624.714 Subd. 1b. (d) Upon the request of a peace officer, a permit holder shall disclose to the officer whether or not the permit holder is currently carrying a firearm.

Sent from my EVO 4G

Last edited:

Irish.40

You are correct sir. I wonder if other states require notification without being asked?? Seems that would be odd..." Hello officer, I'm packing"!

Irish.40

Ok, so if one must inform in those states, how does that work. Does one have to approach every officer that he sees and inform him? I only ask because, as stated previously, MN is a required to inform when asked state. That makes sense. But if not asked...what? Forgive me if I'm being dense.

VII

I think

I think what the law is referring to is that if approached/stopped legally you must notify the officer if you are carrying. Kinda like presenting the officer with your P2C along with your License and Insurance.

Irish.40

Bloomington, southern suburb of Minnesota. I am a city dweller that desperately wants to move to the country. Why?

VII

Just curious

Just Curious. I'm new to the forums and I'mjust getting a feel for it and the people within it. I'm from Champlin and I feel your pain my friend. I work at the Ziebart off of 90th in Bloomington!