• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FLASH: Obama claims executive privilege over "Fast & Furious" documents;

zack991

FLASH: Obama claims executive privilege over "Fast & Furious" documents;

by Chad D. Baus http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8413

Fox News is reporting that President Obama has granted an 11th-hour request by Attorney General Eric Holder to exert executive privilege over Fast and Furious documents, a last-minute maneuver that appears unlikely to head off a contempt vote against Holder by Republicans in the House.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...tee-up-imminent-contempt-vote-against-holder/

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is expected to forge ahead Wednesday morning with its meeting on the contempt resolution anyway.

If the vote proceeds, Republicans have more than enough votes on committee to pass the resolution. However, Holder would not be considered held in contempt of Congress unless and until the full House approves the measure.

According to the article, after Holder made the request to Obama via letter on Tuesday, Deputy Attorney General James Cole wrote to Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., on Wednesday informing him that the president has granted the request.

Obama's decision pertains to documents from February 2011 and afterward examining how Justice officials learned about the Fast and Furious probe.

Holder, in his letter to Obama, said those documents pertain to the "deliberative process" on how to respond to congressional and media inquiries.

Wednesday's developments follow a flurry of activity Tuesday, as Holder tried to negotiate a way to avert the contempt proceedings. Issa had earlier indicated a willingness to postpone the vote after Holder indicated a willingness to make compromises and supply some documents in response to House Republicans' subpoena.

But Issa told reporters after a roughly 20-minute meeting with Holder Tuesday that the attorney general instead briefed them on the documents in lieu of delivering them.

Issa told Fox News that Holder didn't provide "anything in writing," and said the family of murdered Border Patrol agent Brian Terry wants the documents as much as he does.

"We want the documents. Brian Terry's family would like the documents that are responsive to how in fact their son was gunned down with weapons that came from lawful dealers but at the ... behest of the Justice Department," Issa told Fox News.

Weapons from the Fast and Furious anti-gunrunning operation were found at Terry's murder scene.

Rep. Darrell Issa told Fox News Wednesday morning that he is pressing ahead with a committee vote to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress.

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee was informed of the president's decision in a letter Wednesday morning, shortly before the contempt vote was scheduled.

"This untimely assertion by the Justice Department falls short of any reason to delay today's proceedings," Issa said.

The failed Fast and Furious operation attempted selling thousands of guns to arms dealers along the U.S.-Mexico border to trace them to leaders of drug cartels. However, many of them showed up in crime scenes.

Congressional investigators have been trying to determine if and when high-level Justice officials knew about problems with the operation.

Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley, the ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said in a statement today that the claim of executive privilege "raises monumental questions":

"How can the President assert executive privilege if there was no White House involvement? How can the President exert executive privilege over documents he's supposedly never seen? Is something very big being hidden to go to this extreme? The contempt citation is an important procedural mechanism in our system of checks and balances. The questions from Congress go to determining what happened in a disastrous government program for accountability and so that it's never repeated again."

According to Fox News, the contempt vote in the oversight committee will likely pass considering Republicans outnumber Democrats 22 to 16. Sources have reportedly told Fox that GOP House leadership has given Issa the green light to proceed how he sees fit, sources told Fox News, which suggests the vote will reach the House floor.

Chad D. Baus is the Buckeye Firearms Association Vice Chairman.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Nixon: 1
Clinton: 14
Bush Jr: 6
Obama: Just getting started.

The fact that this privilege exists is the scary part. Only a proof of ONGOING national security concerns should warrant such an action. Fast and Furious is anything but.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

UPDATE 4:20 pm EDST - House committee holds Holder in contempt; Full House to vote

Irrelevant. Holder is immune. BTW, smells like political BS. The vote fell down Party lines. *sniggers* It is a political witch-hunt. Nice to see the Republicans are focused on important issues.

"Acting along partisan lines, with a vote of 23 to 17, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee voted this afternoon to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt." http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ee-cites-attorney-general-holder-for-contempt

HandyHamlet

Nice to see the Republicans are focused on important issues.

Yah, like justice for the mother of a needlessly murdered son. I hope the Terry family gets Justice. Not to mention the families of hundreds of dead women and children in Mexico.

Keep it classy Beretta "Lady". And I do use the term loosely.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Irrelevant. Holder is immune. BTW, smells like political BS. The vote fell down Party lines. *sniggers* It is a political witch-hunt. Nice to see the Republicans are focused on important issues.

So when ALL the Republicans vote for contempt for a man who is KNOWINGLY refusing to turn over documents, and ALL the Democrats are refusing to hold him accountable, you have a problem with the politics only of the Republicans. Interesting.

Dreamer

Witch hunt?

Explain that to Brian Terry's parents and siblings.

Explain that to Jaimie Zapata's family.

Explain that to Mario González Rodríguez.

Explain that to the over 300 Mexican civilians who have been murdered with "Fast and Furious" supplied guns, by the cartels...

"Fast and Furious" is the current administration's "Watergate". Except, nobody got murdered in Watergate, and they weren't' using it to influence US domestic and foreign policy, or to eviscerate the US Constitution...

Actually, "Fast and Furious" more closely resembles the "Reichstag Fire"...

Last edited:

hjmoosejaw

Like somebody said, If there's nothing to hide, then why are they hiding it? I thought this idiot was so big on transparency.

Last edited:

Gil223

Nice to see the Republicans are focused on important issues.

Is there something more important than seeing that corrupt political appointees are held accountable for their actions? Corruption begins at the top and is practiced all the way down. Holder lied to the Congress every time he opened his mouth, and now, his buddy Obie is trying to cover for him. Birds of a feather flock in D.C. Pax...

scott58dh

Obama Is....

Lest WE forget,,,"just because you have an individual right *[to bear arms, not to be searched unreasonably]* does not mean that the state or local government can't constrain the exercise of that right " Obama, 08'

Obama is a Joker !!! :arrow: View attachment 8665

Obama is a Puppet !!! :arrow: View attachment 8666

Obama is a Moron !!! :arrow: View attachment 8667

Need any MORE Proof ?!?!?

Obama Is an Idiot !!! :arrow: View attachment 8668 10 out of 10 idiots support obama ! :lol:

There, i guess my point is made.

peace&rkba4ever!:cool:

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member

That is incorrect. I would suggest reading when a president can use executive privilege, and you will change your statement. This is just a move by Obama to protect his homeboy, although it is one that will probably back-fire severely. The justice department will turn over those documents, it just might take longer than expected. I look for the matter to go before the Supreme Court, at which point he will be forced to relinquish the documents because executive privilege is not an option for him in this case.

This should show everyone what Obummer thinks about America and the people living in this great country. We have a fraud setting in the Whitehouse, and his whole cabinet is scum. Every one of these people are vagrants, because they are hanging around public property when they have no right to be there. This is America, not China. It is sad to have to witness the darkest time of American government. I hope the land of the free can rise up from this mess and reclaim her rightful place as the greatest country with the greatest government in the World, but as long as this administration is "acting" as our "public servants" it will never happen.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Witch hunt?

Explain that to Brian Terry's parents and siblings.

Explain that to Jaimie Zapata's family.

Explain that to Mario González Rodríguez.

Explain that to the over 300 Mexican civilians who have been murdered with "Fast and Furious" supplied guns, by the cartels...

"Fast and Furious" is the current administration's "Watergate". Except, nobody got murdered in Watergate, and they weren't' using it to influence US domestic and foreign policy, or to eviscerate the US Constitution...

Actually, "Fast and Furious" more closely resembles the "Reichstag Fire"...

+1000! Watergate was a ripple in the ocean compared to Fast and Furious. I wonder why the vote was among party lines? HHHhmmm.... If people don't know the answer to that then we can't help them.

Jack House

You're so adorable, I just wanna pat you on the head right now.

Beretta92FSLady

That is incorrect. I would suggest reading when a president can use executive privilege, and you will change your statement.

If you are correct, then the EP won't hold-up.--how does that sound?

This is just a move by Obama to protect his homeboy, although it is one that will probably back-fire severely. The justice department will turn over those documents, it just might take longer than expected. I look for the matter to go before the Supreme Court, at which point he will be forced to relinquish the documents because executive privilege is not an option for him in this case.

And if SCOTUS doesn't support your assertion, then what? If SCOTUS did take it up, it would be a bit of time before it got to the Bench.

This should show everyone what Obummer thinks about America and the people living in this great country. We have a fraud setting in the Whitehouse, and his whole cabinet is scum. Every one of these people are vagrants, because they are hanging around public property when they have no right to be there. This is America, not China. It is sad to have to witness the darkest time of American government. I hope the land of the free can rise up from this mess and reclaim her rightful place as the greatest country with the greatest government in the World, but as long as this administration is "acting" as our "public servants" it will never happen.

We have had fraud in the WH for decades; don't be dramatic. Can anyone say: Birther? I tell you what, prove that President Obama is not a U.S. born citizen, and I won't vote for him in November.--good luck.

A couple of words you used that are interesting: Homeboy; Darkest time--you have a slight racial bent in this whole matter. Not stating that your bias is likely rooted in the fact that a Negro is in the White House, but this type of nonsense bubbles from some place. I await your denial.

BTW, America is not, and has never been Free. Please, sell your Snake-oil somewhere else.

Beretta92FSLady

+1000! Watergate was a ripple in the ocean compared to Fast and Furious. I wonder why the vote was among party lines? HHHhmmm.... If people don't know the answer to that then we can't help them.

Republicans still out to impeach a Democrat in office for Nixon. Your response speaks volumes to the Republican way of thinking. Tit-for-tat much?

Beretta92FSLady

So when ALL the Republicans vote for contempt for a man who is KNOWINGLY refusing to turn over documents, and ALL the Democrats are refusing to hold him accountable, you have a problem with the politics only of the Republicans. Interesting.

They have no obligation to turn the documents over. I didn't make the rules. Cheney did this with Enron before it's collapse, and it held-up. As I stated: I don't make the rules.

I get it, President Obama can't do anything right in the eyes of Republicans. Reading people b*tch and moan for nearly four years is one of those things that I enjoy, but I also wonder how a person can have so much complaining inside themselves. You don't like Obama, vote his a$$ out of office--good luck...hmm: Romney 2012! *sniggers*

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...A couple of words you used that are interesting: Homeboy; Darkest time--you have a slight racial bent in this whole matter....

Only someone LOOKING for a racial bent would stop at these words.

"Homeboy" is not racist. It's used by people of all colors to talk about fellows from their own 'hood. Oops, sorry, I mean "neighborhood."

"Darkest time" may be dramatic in regards to our economy, but it is IN NO WAY racist, unless PURPOSELY used that way. I can't read the mind of the writer, but I certainly had no reason to ASSume it wasn't the everyday meaning.