• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black Hills Leather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4l

Was looking over a couple of their products. Look to be decent/reasonably priced for the most part. Anyone had any experiences with their products/service?

I'll be looking for a simple, but decent, leather holster and mag pouches for the open carry of the PT845.

MamaLiberty

I live in the Black Hills and never heard of this outfit. Do you have a link, an address, email address? I'd be interested if I knew where to look. :)

Found a link: http://www.bhlstore.com/

They cater to cops and concealed carry only, it seems. I don't see anything I'd accept as a gift.

Last edited:

indianacz

I recently received a holster from Black Hills Leather. It is a very high quality leather holster. I got it close to 2 weeks earlier than was quoted to me when I ordered it. It fits my pistol perfectly and looks great. I would highly recommend ordering from them, Rudy Lozano was very helpful when I had questions and delivers a first rate holster. I will try to post a picture here if I can figure it out (first time posting here).

sniper301980

Scam alert- do not buy from blackhills leather!

Was looking over a couple of their products. Look to be decent/reasonably priced for the most part. Anyone had any experiences with their products/service?

I'll be looking for a simple, but decent, leather holster and mag pouches for the open carry of the PT845.

BlackHills Leather is, by far, the worst leather store out there. There turnaround time is up to 3 months, there holsters look amateur, and they will rip you off. Please do not pay attention to the good reviews about Blackhills Leather. I was scammed because I ignored the bad reviews and learned about this place the hard way by being scammed. I am only trying to get the word out there to help whoever reads this post. You will loose your money.. DO NOT BUY FROM BLACKHILLS LEATHER!
I ordered a holster from there and they sent me a holster for my Beretta that looks nothing close to the pictures I sent Rudy. And for a bonus, the gun doesn't fit in the holster! I called them to get a refund and Rudy refuses to work with me, yells in my ear and refuses to refund my money. I lost $170.00 on this SCAM! BUYER BEWARE

Last edited by a moderator:

Shyster

Concur: Black Hills Leather is a rip off

I ordered a shoulder holster with a customized quad (two mags, a knife, and flashlight). Despite sending the exact models and a scanned in outline of the knife with measurements and discussing it on the phone with Rudy, I received a standard quad mag holder. At Rudy's request, I sent it back. Months later I received a quad which did not fit the flashlight (a SureFire Defender) nor the knife. I again returned the quad. Months past with several follow ups by me. Rudy would lie and say the holster would be sent out that week or that day. Nothing. Eventually, he stopped taking my calls. At one point, he answered his cell phone and when I announced myself he handed it to someone else who claimed Rudy was not in the office.

A year has passed -- still no working holster. I demanded my money back and Rudy refused -- until I informed that I was an attorney and would sue him out of principal. He started complaining that Americans are overly litigious!

Stay away from this company. Despite holding itself out as a custom shop, they apparently are unable to make a true custom holster. In addition, Rudy is unprofessional and full of empty promises. And unless you're willing to file a suit, good luck getting a refund.
After my experience with Black Hills Leather, I did some research. Turns out I’m not the only person Rudy has swindled. The complaints are similar to my experience – holster didn’t work, Rudy won’t return calls, no refund. BHL has an “F” rating with the Better Business Bureau.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I ordered a shoulder holster with a customized quad (two mags, a knife, and flashlight). Despite sending the exact models and a scanned in outline of the knife with measurements and discussing it on the phone with Rudy, I received a standard quad mag holder. At Rudy's request, I sent it back. Months later I received a quad which did not fit the flashlight (a SureFire Defender) nor the knife. I again returned the quad. Months past with several follow ups by me. Rudy would lie and say the holster would be sent out that week or that day. Nothing. Eventually, he stopped taking my calls. At one point, he answered his cell phone and when I announced myself he handed it to someone else who claimed Rudy was not in the office.

A year has passed -- still no working holster. I demanded my money back and Rudy refused -- until I informed that I was an attorney and would sue him out of principal. He started complaining that Americans are overly litigious!

Stay away from this company. Despite holding itself out as a custom shop, they apparently are unable to make a true custom holster. In addition, Rudy is unprofessional and full of empty promises. And unless you're willing to file a suit, good luck getting a refund.
After my experience with Black Hills Leather, I did some research. Turns out I’m not the only person Rudy has swindled. The complaints are similar to my experience – holster didn’t work, Rudy won’t return calls, no refund. BHL has an “F” rating with the Better Business Bureau.
You're an attorney and you don't know the difference between principal and principle?

Hmmm.

STLDaniel

I demanded my money back and Rudy refused -- until I informed that I was an attorney and would sue him out of principal. ... And unless you're willing to file a suit, good luck getting a refund.
Sounds like you don't need to be willing to file suit, as threatening suit was all it took. :cool:

Second, why would it be suing out of "principal". Wouldn't that be a suit to recoup your losses? Or would you only ask for a judgement in "principal".

Another thing wrong with this is that you should have updated the BBB complaint when he refunded you, even if it took a legal threat, to show that the matter was resolved. Leaving it outstanding is a little dishonest, especially when you're going to use their F rating to rant against them on online forums.

BHL has an “F” rating with the Better Business Bureau.
Looked it up, true statement. However, I feel that it should be noted the reason for the F rating is simply that BHL didn't respond to the BBB regarding the complaints, of which there was only 2 within the last 3 years. I know a lot of small businesses that are doing well and don't feel the need to work with the BBB and respond to every little complaint.

Reviewing those 2 complaints, they're the two incidents posted above. So in this thread you have a single endorsement and 2 complaints, for what that's worth.

The complaints above are the only posts by each of those user accounts. I don't listen much to individuals who just create accounts to post a single post bad mouthing a company. Hang around. Be involved. Gain some credibility before trashing a company or individual if you want me to take you seriously.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Another thing wrong with this is that you should have updated the BBB complaint when he refunded you, even if it took a legal threat, to show that the matter was resolved. Leaving it outstanding is a little dishonest, especially when you're going to use their F rating to rant against them on online forums.

Looked it up, true statement. However, I feel that it should be noted the reason for the F rating is simply that BHL didn't respond to the BBB regarding the complaints, of which there was only 2 within the last 3 years. I know a lot of small businesses that are doing well and don't feel the need to work with the BBB and respond to every little complaint.

Reviewing those 2 complaints, they're the two incidents posted above. So in this thread you have a single endorsement and 2 complaints, for what that's worth.

The complaints above are the only posts by each of those user accounts. I don't listen much to individuals who just create accounts to post a single post bad mouthing a company. Hang around. Be involved. Gain some credibility before trashing a company or individual if you want me to take you seriously.

http://www.bbb.org/central-texas/bu...hills-leather-in-laredo-tx-33279#reasonrating

2 complaints that would seem to be 100% of the negative feedback - these same two would seem to be the only ones spreading discontent/dissatisfaction over the internet forums. Perhaps Rudy and Black Hills Leather are being unfairly attacked. I have enough doubt as to the weight of the negative reports giving a fair percpective of BHL that I am locking the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.