• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arrested for skipping school

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My teenage kid was skipping school a lot and I was glad to point out that truancy could arrest him. He stopped skipping.

So you are telling us that your kid does not respect you unless you threaten him with our tax-payer funded enforcement? And you are okay with this, and want us to be okay with it, too?

sharkey

So you are telling us that your kid does not respect you unless you threaten him with our tax-payer funded enforcement? And you are okay with this, and want us to be okay with it, too?

My kid's a teenager and as much as I might want to beat him sometimes I don't. What works for your kid may not work for mine and vice versa.

And I don't have the 50k a year to send him to one of those special private schools, now if you don't like my parenting and want to take up a donation feel free.

I pulled him out of school to keep a better eye on him and he's doing much better. He's not really home schooled but taught online. His grades have improved tremendously.

Last edited:

sharkey

My kid's a teenager and as much as I might want to beat him sometimes I don't. What works for your kid may not work for mine and vice versa.

And I don't have the 50k a year to send him to one of those special private schools, now if you don't like my parenting and want to take up a donation feel free.

I pulled him out of school to keep a better eye on him and he's doing much better. He's not really home schooled but taught online. His grades have improved tremendously.

They ain't cheap.

http://arivacaboysranch.com/index.php

PistolPackingMomma

...taking this thread in another direction...

I was home-schooled, and thank God I was. I was a difficult child, to say the best, and I can't imagine how public school would exacerbate my (then) naturally rebellious behavior. I was in public school right up until the second grade, when my mom decided she couldn't live with the thought of being glad to see us leave every morning.

I distinctly remember the afternoon we came home from school, my sisters and I, and our mom sat on the porch, with her hands laced in a contemplative knot over her knees. She told us that we wouldn't be returning to school the next day; that we were going to be taught at home from now on.

I remember she watched "Helen Keller" with us, and video taped us re-enacting it. Then she tied dishtowels over our eyes and had us to practice being blind and deaf for an hour, to understand what it was like being Helen Keller. That may not sound like fun, but at seven years old, it was an amazing learning experience, and I loved it!

I can't even begin to relate the sacrifice she made to educate myself and seven siblings over the next two decades, but I can tell you how grateful I am that she did. We started school at 8:00 A.M., and finished by 12:00. I had individual and attentive help and coaching through all of my subjects, and lots of time for social activities after school. We attended co-ops with other home-schoolers, I took dance lessons, made movies with my friends, learned sign language, played softball, participated in local community theatre programs, took a two year graphic design course in one year at a vo-tech school, held down two jobs and went to college at sixteen on a honors student program. My scores were significantly higher than my classmates on standardized testing.

The entire experience (being home-schooled, attending vo-tech, and attending college) has really been eye opening on its own, and I want my children to have that attentive and individual teaching that I had. That I needed.
I am so grateful my parents were so instrumental and influential in my life; it's been amazing so far and I want to pass that on.

I guess what I'm explaining is that after my experiences, I can't imagine doing it any other way. I've had a little of both worlds, and while homeschooling is not for everyone, if you can, it is rewarding in a way you can't even begin to imagine.

(Had a little vodka before writing this, so pardon any mistakes, lol)

Last edited:

DanieltheAnvil

THIS IS CRAZY!!!! having any misdemeanor on your record could do worse damage to the rest of your life then not graduating. I have a few friends who have a degree and a charge on their record. under employed is an understatement for them.

I'd rather my son or daughter ruin their own future thanks haha.

sharkey

THIS IS CRAZY!!!! having any misdemeanor on your record could do worse damage to the rest of your life then not graduating. I have a few friends who have a degree and a charge on their record. under employed is an understatement for them.

I'd rather my son or daughter ruin their own future thanks haha.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me but if so I said the threat of not the action of and juvenile misdemeanors would surely be sealed.

ncwabbit

we-the people, forgive the johnny come lately but to quantify something you mentioned:

(Now before you climb on the defensive, i am not being judgemental but unless you were personally involved in your friend's altercation while it was occuring, i ask you remember you are only hearing one side/their version of the situation which may or may not have all the facets appropriately told and may only show them in a positive light!)

It is unfortunate, and please understand my expressed empathy regarding the situation you related, but i have heard this story (or slight variations) many, many times…by the perps (M/F) who commit domestic violence on their partners. Interesting to note everyone of the perps I have dealt w/all say exactly the same thing about the ‘governmental intrusion’ into what they feel is a personal ‘discussion’. Riding along during responses to DV calls I am always amazed when I watch a victimized partner who has been beaten or worse then beg the responders not to take the perp away because ‘the victimized partner did something wrong and deserved the beating’. Rationale for the deserving abuse: let’s see... dinner was late, dinner was cold, their clothes weren’t washed/dryed/folded/ironed properly…the list goes on. And when it comes times to take the perp away, the victimized partner then loses it and begins changing how they got their injuries, or it was someone else who beat them.

When everyone arrives in court after everyone has made up, the story changes as to why law enforcement arrived to intervene in the family ‘discussion’. Again, judges have seen this played out day in and day out in their courtrooms and tremendous research has shown if help is not provided, the family’s violence will continue until someone is seriously hurt if not killed. Judicial jurisdiction’s policy varies across the US so it is difficult to adjudicate if your friend’s case was typical or not.

Bottom line, DV is a scourge and plight in our society for a variety of reasons which costs taxpayers tremendous amounts of money from hospitalizations, missed work, deaths, etc. Unfortunately, truth be told, domestic violence activities are learned and in practice, can be unlearned through psychotherapy educational courses. This is what your friend was ordered to participate in. Most have sliding payment scales.

Now before you climb on the defensive, unless you were personally involved in your friend's altercation while it was occuring, i ask you remember you are only hearing one side/their version of the situation!

It is disappointing your friend(s) decided to flee as they now have to watch over their shoulder for the remainder of their life(s). And unfortunately, with the advent of connectivity of law enforcement computer networks they could have this violation of their court order raise itself from a routine traffic stop while traveling outside the non-extraction state they currently live. Then they are incarcerated for the original charge and now the bench order.

wabbit

Last edited:

We-the-People

we-the people, forgive the johnny come lately but to quantify something you mentioned: wabbit

I totally understand what you're saying and I was very concious of that as well as careful to make sure I didn't let my relationship with the individuals cloud my judgemnet. However, I talked to the Chief of Police (with the arrested friends permission to "tell all") who was there during the arrest (it's a VERY small department), the male and female friends involved (at separate times), and was present for the court hearing I discussed.

Per the Chief, he was "out of it" when they arrested hm, he was transported directly to the jail (vice a HOSPITAL for the overdose condition) where he attempted suicide before the arresting officer completed the booking. Still he was never taken to a proper facility.

At the hearing, there was no evidence of any violence presented and the supposed victim gave her story....i.e. called to get him help, VoiP was cause of droped 911 call, etc...... yet the "justice" system said "don't care".

Perhaps the biggest outrage to me was the requirement for the alleged victim to pay for and attend classes dictated by the government before she would be allowed back with her partner.

Personally, I'm ready for the fedeal government to go bankrupt and our (fed) govenment to fail.....so that we can start fresh. Unfortunately, any new contract among the states (i.e. Constitution" would need to be a hell of a lot longer than our current one to preclude the problems the current one has allowed the fed to perpetrate against the states.

Z1P2

If the parent lets the school know that they'll yank their kids out of school and either send them to a private school or home school them if they try this, you can bet that kid could skip every other day and they'd never say a word about it, you know, apart from flunking him in every subject... but that's his own fault for skipping.