• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Tenino man mistaken for bank robber at Timberland Bank in Tumwater

44Brent

I have been a customer at this bank and make it a point to never OC there because I always felt the staff were "Chicken Littles". I'm cancelling my account in the next week or two.

http://www.theolympian.com/2013/09/26/2744119/tenino-man-mistaken-for-bank-robber.html

Excerpt

By JEREMY PAWLOSKI — Staff writer

Employees at the Timberland Bank on Trosper Road in Tumwater treated Thomas Budsberg like a bank robber during a recent visit to the branch - even tripping an alarm that resulted in police drawing guns and handcuffing the 59-year-old man.

"I thought they were going to shoot me," Budsberg said of his ordeal the afternoon of Sept. 16. "I have trouble sleeping at night too."

Budsberg and a companion were released by police after realizing he had not robbed the bank, and was not a bank robbery suspect. The case of mistaken identity left Budsberg shaken. He said he is afraid to return to Tumwater after the incident.

Timberland Bank CEO Michael Sand said he believes employees did nothing wrong during the encounter. Sand said employees at the bank were on alert for Budsberg, because had come into the bank in August, took some brochures, and left.

JustaShooter

I have been a customer at this bank and make it a point to never OC there because I always felt the staff were "Chicken Littles". I'm cancelling my account in the next week or two.

Appears as if the victim will be doing so as well:
He added that he has a property loan through Timberland Bank, but that he normally goes to a branch in Olympia to conduct his business. He said he won't be conducting bank business at the Tuwmater branch anymore. And as soon as he pays off his loan "I'm going to drop them," he added.

JustaShooter

Heck, I'd refinance the loan with someone else. Take that income away from them.

Sometimes, that just isn't possible or financially prudent (read: too expensive). But if the terms were comparable I'd be inclined to do so, sure.

deanf

Lt. Jay Mason of the Tumwater Police Department said that bank alarms should only be tripped if there is a bank robbery or an employee believes a bank robbery is imminent.

Or if the teller is stricken with a case of AQUS (Acute Quivering Uterus Syndrome) and doesn't know what else to do.

Logan 5

I had a very similar problem with Zions First National Bank in Castle Dale Utah back in spring of 1995.
Call their bluff- contact the federales and pitch a fit.
You know, folks like the Federal Reserve and the Comptroller of the Currency.

Stoked

It's not just the banks fault. Don't forget the costumed agents who were all to eager to draw guns on innocent people.

Let's try a simple mental exercise. You're a cop in Tumwater. You get a call that this bank hit their holdup alarm. They state this guy matches the description of a known bank robber from Tacoma. This is all the information you have when you locate him. What approach would you use?

Monday morning quarterbacking is all well and good, when you have the information available to you, but when you're approaching a suspect and know only what you're given AT THAT MOMENT, it's a little different. If I had that call, I would've reacted exactly the same. I would be responsible for the safety of not only the potential suspect and myself, but anyone else in the vicinity- gas station employees, customers, passersby, etc. If he'd been a Bad Guy and, upon seeing the cops, come out of his car guns ablazin', then what? Would this approach have been too low-key for you?

Bill45

What has this whole thread have to do with Open Carry?

Drop the subject and move on.

This thread needs to be moved to some other forum, like the Mistaken Identity At a Bank forum.

davidmcbeth

Banned
What has this whole thread have to do with Open Carry?

Drop the subject and move on.

This thread needs to be moved to some other forum, like the Mistaken Identity At a Bank forum.

I get mistakened for other people all the time. I always hear "there's that freaking A**pole". I guess I just have a face that is familiar to a lot of others.

sudden valley gunner

Let's try a simple mental exercise. You're a cop in Tumwater. You get a call that this bank hit their holdup alarm. They state this guy matches the description of a known bank robber from Tacoma. This is all the information you have when you locate him. What approach would you use?

Monday morning quarterbacking is all well and good, when you have the information available to you, but when you're approaching a suspect and know only what you're given AT THAT MOMENT, it's a little different. If I had that call, I would've reacted exactly the same. I would be responsible for the safety of not only the potential suspect and myself, but anyone else in the vicinity- gas station employees, customers, passersby, etc. If he'd been a Bad Guy and, upon seeing the cops, come out of his car guns ablazin', then what? Would this approach have been too low-key for you?

So what? Now you can point guns at people because they match a vague description? :rolleyes:

Quit being an apologist.

Flopsweat

So what? Now you can point guns at people because they match a vague description?
Quit being an apologist.

I think Stoked has a legitimate point. Was the cop supposed to introduce himself, shake the guy's hand and ask how he could help? No, he was supposed to do exactly what he did. Bank robberies are exactly the situation where we want the police there, with an aggressive attitude and an unholstered firearm.

Look, we all get it that you don't like being pushed around - neither do I - but they're not always automatically at fault when a mistake gets made. This time someone at the bank made the mistake, not the cops.

Dave_pro2a

Apologist.

SCOTUS has ruled that LEO have no duty to protect an individual citizen.

LEO are responsible for following and enforcing COTUS and BOR.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

This time someone at the bank made the mistake, not the cops.

Ahh the old "it's the other guy's fault" excuse. WINNING!

And it wasn't a mistake. Nothing about it was a mistake. It was 100% intentional -- on the part of bank employees and LEO. The bank employes intended this to happen, the LEO involved intended this to happen -- imho.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
was not mistaken ID ... it was no id at all IMO... and
its a false report.

guy who reported it should be in jail

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
was not mistaken ID ... it was mistaken characterization just because the guy was carrying ... and
its a false report.

guy who reported it should be in jail

"Carrying" what? Nothing in the story mentioned he had a gun, only the cops had guns (just the way it should be).