• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greetings and a Question

Cannonball

Greetings!

This is my first post on the forum. I was born and raised in Virginia and am temporarily living in Charlotte, North Carolina. I have poured over all of the information on these forums and I have to say that the majority of this community has the most unadulterated view of the 2nd Amendment I have come across.

On that same note, I have come in search of answers. I have been searching for quite a while for a resource that outlines all of the ways in which our 2nd Amendment rights are currently being infringed upon. No organization (that I have found) has a resource that does this, and I know that it is not because of lack of infringement. It seems to me, that this is an integral part of the fight to protect our rights, and not just our 2nd Amendment rights either.

Thanks for all that you have done on behalf of our freedoms!

Cannonball

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How large of an annotated, unabridged Dewey decimal cataloged, encyclopedic reference guide do you wish to consult? :eek:

BTW - that is why they have law schools - so that lawyers can learn how to train their paralegals to research such things and why lawyers must be admitted to the bar in each individual state.

Now if you'd like to compile such a definitive work, there are those that would greatly appreciate the fact that you volunteered.

BTW - welcome to OCDO.

Cannonball

How large of an annotated, unabridged Dewey decimal cataloged, encyclopedic reference guide do you wish to consult? :eek:

BTW - that is why they have law schools - so that lawyers can learn how to train their paralegals to research such things and why lawyers must be admitted to the bar in each individual state.

Now if you'd like to compile such a definitive work, there are those that would greatly appreciate the fact that you volunteered.

BTW - welcome to OCDO.

I am sure the same could have been said when the founding fathers proposed the idea of listing the colonists' grievances against the king in the Declaration of Independence. I believe a begotten document is long overdue.

This would not necessarily need to be comprehensive. But, it would unite and focus the patriots' disdain for oppressive government tyranny. It could perhaps also be leveraged as an ultimatum. I don't think this is a one-man job and I don't think this bumbling buffoon is the one to do it either. Although, I would serve in whatever way I could, especially after the logical consequence of a breach of the ultimatum.

Thank you for the welcome!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am sure the same could have been said when the founding fathers proposed the idea of listing the colonists' grievances against the king in the Declaration of Independence. I believe a begotten document is long overdue.

This would not necessarily need to be comprehensive. But, it would unite and focus the patriots' disdain for oppressive government tyranny. It could perhaps also be leveraged as an ultimatum. I don't think this is a one-man job and I don't think this bumbling buffoon is the one to do it either. Although, I would serve in whatever way I could, especially after the logical consequence of a breach of the ultimatum.

Thank you for the welcome!

If you allude to a Constitutional Convention, no thank you. The era surrounding our fight for independence was a simpler time and the enemy was more clearly established. We have many complex issues that were not known then and much has evolved within our government.

We have many well established goals and I don't see the need for such a digital road map as you would seem to suggest.

Any particular reason why you focus on Virginia? Is there an agenda of which we are not aware?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
cannonball, the best thing I can point to as a single reference that might be useful is http://www.gunfacts.info/

They also have a handy version you can download and print out to share with others.

There are a great number of books that one might read and study - superior resources - John Lott & Gary Gleck amongst the authors.

Then there is For the Defense of Themselves and the State:
This is the masterwork of Clayton Cramer, a man who earn some distinction by his deconstruction of Michael Bellesiles’ notion that guns were scarce in colonial America (which led to Bellesiles’ academic conviction). This book covers the European origins and legislative history of the Second Amendment, details some 200 state and US Supreme Court decisions concerning the amendment, and discusses issues such as the role of racism in the passage of gun control laws during Reconstruction.

All of these and more can be founds here Guy Smith does an excellent job of compiling support material - check out his infographics (charts) available on the same site as linked.

Cannonball

If you allude to a Constitutional Convention, no thank you. The era surrounding our fight for independence was a simpler time and the enemy was more clearly established. We have many complex issues that were not known then and much has evolved within our government.

We have many well established goals and I don't see the need for such a digital road map as you would seem to suggest.

Any particular reason why you focus on Virginia? Is there an agenda of which we are not aware?

I am just a Virginia boy born and raised. My only agenda regarding this forum is the protection of our second amendment rights. My only interest is to support the cause and be educated.

For the Defense of Themselves and their State: looks to me like I am going to have to get that one from the library. It fetches a pretty penny on amazon and ebay, but thanks for the reference. I am definitely going to look into that one.

To me, for me, there is no quibble on the original intent of the word infringed. With that in mind, it is often said that there are tens of thousands of pages of gun law.

A mouse nibbling on the very edge of a mushroom nibbles a fringe. Tens of thousands of rats nibbling away have nibbled away the very mushroom.

This is a very insightful metaphor. I may have to quote this to some of my antigun friends and acquaintances.

Thank you all for the resources. This is a good start for someone like me who is strong in their conviction, but weak in their communication thereof.