• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Domino’s Pizza employee shot during robbery attempt

Law abider

This from my paper the herald: Domino's employee shot at business. Too bad employees at high risk convenience stores, fast food joints or pizza delivery drivers don't get to CC at work. How about managers. At least they should be allowed to CC. These are businesses that get robbed frequently. The story is buried in the article. I know we can have a weapon in our vehicles while at work, but fast food employees, or gas station workers they need immediate protection. I don't think the law allows employees from CCing at these type of businesses.

http://www.piercecountyherald.com/n...wisconsin-abortion-law-hearing-set-blaze-pink

bill.keen

I have been a pizza delivery driver and a general manager at a fast food restaurant and in both cases carried. I cc'ed as a GM and oc'ed as a driver with the owners permission.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have been a pizza delivery driver and a general manager at a fast food restaurant and in both cases carried. I cc'ed as a GM and oc'ed as a driver with the owners permission.

What pizza shop, where? Inquiring minds will want to know.

The Truth

As long as it wasn't illegal I'd carry anyway. I'm not risking my life to make someone else a profit while not making very much myself.

protias

I'm sure many will say that is a "safe" area. So safe no one gets hurt right?

Dave_pro2a

Can we blame this incident on legalized marijuana and state run pot shops?

HPmatt

I think it is pot-infused cheese curds at work here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yetiman

I used to deliver pizza for a Domino's on the West side of Milwaukee (You could see Wauwatosa out the window) in the late 1980's. The store manager and his wife carried all the time, and were actually great people in general, much less to work with.

Last edited:

Law abider

Can we carry in WI if we deliver pizza? I have heard of delivery persons getting robbed, esp late night deliveries. My brother in law delivers pizza on the night shift in the triangle in NC. He bought a gun years ago. Need to ask him if he carrys his weapon.

WalkingWolf

Can we carry in WI if we deliver pizza? I have heard of delivery persons getting robbed, esp late night deliveries. My brother in law delivers pizza on the night shift in the triangle in NC. He bought a gun years ago. Need to ask him if he carrys his weapon.

If he is carrying he is legal in NC, though he may be violating company policy. Both dead, and fired has the same loss of income.

Hopefully someone from WI can clarify if company policy has the force of law in WI.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I guess I would have to ask what do you mean by the force of law.

You can be fired for violating a policy but you can not be arrested for it.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
I guess I would have to ask what do you mean by the force of law.

You can be fired for violating a policy but you can not be arrested for it.

It is the latter that we mean by "force of law."

I can be fired for almost anything including showing up to a formal meeting dressed for a beach party rather than to properly receive customers. Doesn't mean there is anything illegal about wearing swim trunks and tank top. :)

If possession of a gun in contradiction of an employment policy or other private policy is a crime, then the policy has force of law.

If possession of the gun isn't a crime, even if there is a company policy against it, then the gun ban has no force of law.

The step beyond that is for the law to actually protect lawful possession of guns against dangerous and/or discriminatory employment policies in a manner similar to how dangerous work conditions cannot be maintained simply by a company policy that such conditions are a job requirement.

Charles

Ezek

It is the latter that we mean by "force of law."

I can be fired for almost anything including showing up to a formal meeting dressed for a beach party rather than to properly receive customers. Doesn't mean there is anything illegal about wearing swim trunks and tank top. :)

If possession of a gun in contradiction of an employment policy or other private policy is a crime, then the policy has force of law.

If possession of the gun isn't a crime, even if there is a company policy against it, then the gun ban has no force of law.

The step beyond that is for the law to actually protect lawful possession of guns against dangerous and/or discriminatory employment policies in a manner similar to how dangerous work conditions cannot be maintained simply by a company policy that such conditions are a job requirement.

Charles

The way I see it, the car is NOT company property, it is an extension of your own property/castle and corporate policy has NO place in it.

the only thing I can see is if you are wearing company uniforms, they don't want to be associated with them. I would clarify with a manager, that you intend to carry on delivery, cause it is your life and your property at risk, along with their profit for cash customers.

if there is a problem, don't work for them, they would rather you be a dead pizza delivery victim with a stolen car and lost cash assets that are refunded Via business insurance claim, then let you take care of yourself and your safety.

WalkingWolf

The way I see it, the car is NOT company property, it is an extension of your own property/castle and corporate policy has NO place in it.

the only thing I can see is if you are wearing company uniforms, they don't want to be associated with them. I would clarify with a manager, that you intend to carry on delivery, cause it is your life and your property at risk, along with their profit for cash customers.

if there is a problem, don't work for them, they would rather you be a dead pizza delivery victim with a stolen car and lost cash assets that are refunded Via business insurance claim, then let you take care of yourself and your safety.
I believe that is what the drivers here do that carry. One of the Dominoes managers years ago told me she ignores if a driver carries. Sorta unofficial permission. But on company property when the employee has been notified of no gun policy in NC does have the force of law. Though it is only a misdemeanor, I have never heard of any employee being charged, though some have been fired. Unfortunately in NC signage, and notification do have the force of law, though I believe the Governor signed a bill changing it from a misdemeanor to an infraction, which would mean a ticket, and a minimal fine.

Personally I would rather pay the fine, then pay the undertaker.

utbagpiper

Banned

I agree. Which is the very rational we used to pass "Parking Lot Preemption" in Utah a few years back. With rare exception, employers may not maintain an employment policy banning guns from an employee's car, even if the car is parked in the company parking lot.

But in many States employment policies are allowed to ban guns from company property, even if inside a private vehicle. And it seems that in some States a company gun ban might invoke legal sanctions even in the parking lot.

I know this is an OC forum, but when it comes to presenting an image to the public, I can concede a company might have a right to limit the visible possession of a gun. But what can't be seen, can't cause anyone to have an unwanted image of the company. On the flip side, current law does not allow a company to require a Jewish or Muslim employee to avoid wearing religiously mandated head-dress just because such attire didn't fit the company image. So I'm not sure lawful gun possession should get any less legal protection.

Under current law, that is the unfortunate choice some have to make. It is a shame we don't do a better job of protecting employees from the bigotries or dangerous work conditions of employers. Imagine a company policy that prohibited the use of seat belts while driving. Or that mandated exceeding posted speed limits. Such policies would not stand. Not only do they require employees to violate laws, but they clearly place the employee at needless risk of injury or death. Banning the lawful possession of self-defense firearms, likewise, places employees at needless, heightened risk of injury or death.

Charles

Phoenix David

...the only thing I can see is if you are wearing company uniforms, they don't want to be associated with them. I would clarify with a manager, that you intend to carry on delivery, cause it is your life and your property at risk, along with their profit for cash customers.

IMO If I was in that situation I would not let management know that I intended to carry, less they know the better.