• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Round in the chamber

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
First, read this:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html

Then read all of article 47.

If you're going to carry a handgun in Indiana, it's best to know the law. These will get you started.

Also, what grapeshot said. It's not prohibited.

You scared me with the link and the article 47 reference - thought I had replied erroniously and was being corrected. :lol:

Not that I mind being corrected. Its always best to have to the right info, but I do try to avoid bruising along the way.

Last edited:

Usarmy_nathan

You scared me with the link and the article 47 reference - thought I had replied erroniously and was being corrected. :lol:

Not that I mind being corrected. Its always best to have to the right info, but I do try to avoid bruising along the way.

Thanks I was told that you can't but they really didn't know any laws

cce1302

:)

I try to reply with a link to the law whenever possible. Since I only have to keep up with Indiana law (and occasionally Ohio, Michigan, and PA), it's not a difficult thing to do.

pyroman

Why would anyone not carry one in the chamber. I remember seeing a video of a robbery at a jewerly store. A person in the store pulled a gun out but in the haste and confusion he had trouble racking the slide and ended up getting shot a killed.

hogeaterf6

I have a TCP that I dont carry a rnd in the chamber. It has no safety and is hammerless, which I hate. I dont carry one in it cause how and when I carry it I'm afraid of a accidental discharge. For what I do there is a good chance of it.

HankT

State Researcher
No UD

Why would anyone not carry one in the chamber.

In a major respect, it's safer. Can't really have an unintentional discharge by one trigger pull if there isn't one in the pipe.

The additional safety is offset by additional risk like, not being able rack the slide at a moment of truth.

Figure out your probability of having a UD and compare it to your probability of being unable to rack a slide at a jewelry store-like situation . . . and you can decide which method is actually best.

cce1302

In a major respect, it's safer. Can't really have an unintentional discharge by one trigger pull if there isn't one in the pipe.

The additional safety is offset by additional risk like, not being able rack the slide at a moment of truth.

Figure out your probability of having a UD and compare it to your probability of being unable to rack a slide at a jewelry store-like situation . . . and you can decide which method is actually best.

In a major respect, it's less safe. Can't really have an intentional discharge by one trigger pull if there isn't one in the pipe.

Following all four safety rules will ensure that you'll never have a negligent discharge.

getting in the habit of treating every weapon as if the chamber were empty is just looking for trouble, in my opinion.