• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

so much for "shotspotter" system

MKEgal

Over an hour ago I heard 9 shots.
Then, nothing.
No sirens, no sounds of humans who were upset.
Just normal night noises. Well, normal minus the shooting.

Guess this neighborhood isn't high enough crime for that shotspotter system to be
installed here. I'm sure nobody nearer where it happened cares enough to call police
to report it. I'd call, but have little idea where it was. I suspect it was in the park;
sounded over that direction, but not sure.

And people wonder why I carry... and why I want to move.

anmut

Over an hour ago I heard 9 shots.
Then, nothing.
No sirens, no sounds of humans who were upset.
Just normal night noises. Well, normal minus the shooting.

Guess this neighborhood isn't high enough crime for that shotspotter system to be
installed here. I'm sure nobody nearer where it happened cares enough to call police
to report it. I'd call, but have little idea where it was. I suspect it was in the park;
sounded over that direction, but not sure.

And people wonder why I carry... and why I want to move.

It's not police protocol to investigate "shots fired." There time is better spent harassing citizens legally carrying a handgun for protection. Those are the REAL criminals. That or protesting with hippies.

Last edited:

jpm84092

It's not police protocol to investigate "shots fired." There time is better spent harassing citizens legally carrying a handgun for protection. Those are the REAL criminals. That or protesting with hippies.

Do I detect a note of sarcasm there Mr. Armut?

Some citizen(s) out there know something about the shots fired, but likely do not want to "get involved".

protias

But MPD said on their facebook page this will prevent crime. I think you're lying MKEgal.

/sarcasm

HandyHamlet

You all are mistaken with due respect. The "shotspotter" is just the first wall of defense in an overall package designed to keep you and your loved ones safe.

Obviously the shots were recorded but the totality of the circumstances did not warrant a publicized response. However I am confident Ninjas were dispatched to investigate none the less.

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
It's just another toy so Barrett and Flynn can present as fighting violence rather than actually doing so. What's the "cost per convicted shooter" effectiveness of this thing? I doubt there has been a single conviction resulting from its use. If the Milwaukee Journal staff weren't Facebook buddies of ol' Jer - who also does nothing to fight violence - maybe this cost would be identified in their "Watchdog" section.

Last edited:

Freedom First

\\engage sacasm drive\\

Doesn't a surveillance society equal a safe society?

\\disengage sarasm drive and resume normal operations...\\

LR Yote 312

A few years back a friend watched an Oak Creek cop try to dispatch a rabid raccoon.
The officer fired 7 shots from his .40....

My guess would be that something similar to that happened.

Milwaukee PD didnt install that system to protect us.
It was installed to protect themselves.
They now have a clearer better picture of what areas of the City to avoid.

It also shows how intelligent Flynn thinks his officers really are,because they couldnt figure that out for themselves.

LR Yote

Zeus

Probably one of Bloomberg's goons firing randomly to pad their anti gun stats in their favor. I wouldn't put anything past them.

1FASTC4

Shotspotter, Another big waste of Tax Payers dollars by Big Brother.

Yup.

"Shots fired" doesn't generate revenue like a good old fashioned DUI checkpoint or speed trap. If there was a body, they'd have no choice to get involved. No body or noisy complainant, then no need to interfere with the revenue stream.

Last edited:

Passive101

Usually 911 calls are had about as quickly as a shot spotter is in the large cities. Strangely most news reports state this as well.

I remember moving to the St Louis area and went to pick up a friend to go hang out. Heard gunshots nearby and was like what the crap, is someone shooting a gun? He's like just keep driving, happens all the time.