• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mississippi murderer posing as a cop?

DreQo

State Researcher
Scary stuff. We had an impersonator pulling people over for traffic violations and then giving them a piece of his mind. Thankfully that's all he was doing. With the popularity of used police cars on the rise, this is a real concern. Police-like car does not a Police man make.

If it's dark and you are getting pulled, use common sense. If you don't feel safe, put your 4-way flashers on to let the potential cop know you see him, then safely drive to a populated area. You can also call 911 and tell them you think you're being stopped but you're moving to a safe area. It's always good to ask for the ID of the person at your window, too. Politely, mind you.

Also, check your local and state laws on the required uniform for law enforcement on duty. If your local sheriff and chief of police both agree that full uniform is required, then a man in jeans and a t-shirt should raise a huge red flag (this is how the aforementioned impersonator got caught).

Oh and obeying traffic laws is always a good idea. If you're cruising down the highway at 15 over, then you're expecting to be pulled. That gives the other guy an advantage right off the bat.

All of these things will help you avoid the OP's scenario, and THAT is true self defense. If you still find yourself in that situation, then God help you.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Then again this may be a rouge cop that is killing citizens just for the hell of it.

Highly unlikely.

DreQo, very sound advice. It helps to pay attention to the types of overhead and in-grill lights/flashers used by local law enforcement. If in doubt, just visit a nearby division and share your concern with the duty desk. They'll be happy to show you what they look like. The flashers + 911 call is perfect, as they have direct contact with dispatch, and can get word to the cop in less than 60 seconds. I would also recommend slowing down to about 10 mph below the speed limit and moving to the right lane, if you're not already there. That and the flashers let the cop know you see them, are maintaining a speed slower than the speed limit (so you're not "pushing" it).

OC for ME

I just hold my CCW badge out the window and they move right along giving a smile and a wave as drive on past. We usually meet up later at one of the 24 hr donut shops.

Bowesmobile

I just hold my CCW badge out the window and they move right along giving a smile and a wave as drive on past. We usually meet up later at one of the 24 hr donut shops.

I'll try that one some time. I'm sure its TOTALLY legit too! Should I be driving my Expedition when I do?

My father-in-law is not very bright. He bought a Crown Vic at one of the retired police car auctions. So he used to wave at cops when he drove by. Then he would say "they wave back because they know this was a police car". No lie... He was a city manager for hire. Has a college degree, real smart too.

Freedom1Man

Highly unlikely.

DreQo, very sound advice. It helps to pay attention to the types of overhead and in-grill lights/flashers used by local law enforcement. If in doubt, just visit a nearby division and share your concern with the duty desk. They'll be happy to show you what they look like. The flashers + 911 call is perfect, as they have direct contact with dispatch, and can get word to the cop in less than 60 seconds. I would also recommend slowing down to about 10 mph below the speed limit and moving to the right lane, if you're not already there. That and the flashers let the cop know you see them, are maintaining a speed slower than the speed limit (so you're not "pushing" it).

I don't know about Mississippi but here in Washington the cops use all sorts of cars. They have unmarked plain plate cars, EXMPT plate unmarked cars, marked cars with top bars, and marked cars without tops bars.

I have seen the unmarked plain plate cars before with someone pulled over. I check the laws to see if it was legit and sure enough it was. That does make it easier for criminals to do things like this though. An old security guard uniform and a fake car anyone could go on a killing spree. Then to make it more fun is that everyone wears different uniforms and, I have been told, that the state has give the okay to police to stop (harass) and issue to tickets out side of their jurisdiction. So you can have a cop 20 miles from the city marked on his car pulling people over. I had it happen to me once and he hated the fact that I was armed.

OC for ME

The local LE says that the dude was not posing as a cop when the victims stopped, for some inexplicable reason, on the side of a road in the middle of the night so that this dude, not posing as a cop, could kill these folks he just happen to see stopped, for some inexplicable reason, on the side of a road in the middle of the night.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/201...hway-shootings-shooting-victims-tunica-county

4sooth

This very thing happened in Slidell in the early eighties. Serial kidnaper pulling women over by posing as a cop. Before he was caught a "citizen" posing as a cop tried to pull myself and my partner over!! He got the biggest surprise of his life!! His girlfriend wet her pants!!

Shoobee

This happens occasionally all over the USA at one point or another.

Your first clue would be if you were doing nothing wrong.

Of course that presumes you always keep to the speed limit as well.

Best thing would be to call-in on your cell phone and explain your concern, before you pull over.

911 is perfect for that because it rings to the state highway patrol in many locations.

One more reason to have your cellphone with you at all times.

Last edited: