• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just bought my first firearm!

mem1977

I just bought myself my first firearm. Its a Taurus PT 24/7 PRO DS 9mm with 2 17 round magazines. Its an awesome gun! I paid $350 for it. I think that was a good deal. Well, from what I know anyway. I can't wait until my first open carry experience. Wish me luck and I'll post again later after that first time. :p

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

Sounds like you got a great deal. That's a far cry from what I paid for my Walther hahaha.

Also, if that's the gun I think it is (I just looked it up, a 5.25" barrel?), that thing is HUGE. There's no question about what type of carrying you want to do with that lol

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Congrats!!! I think you got a good buy. I have two Taurus guns and they have been totally reliable. Post a couple pictures. What holsters are you thinking about?

mem1977

Congrats!!! I think you got a good buy. I have two Taurus guns and they have been totally reliable. Post a couple pictures. What holsters are you thinking about?

I have been thinking of a tactical drop leg holster for open carry and just something simple for conceal carry when there is bad weather. Not really sure of what brands of holsters are best. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :shocker:

neuroblades

First off, Congrats on your first sidearm and welcome to the official world of OC. :)

Read the laws, know the laws, and when someone you encounter starts telling you that OC is illegal, that's your chance to shine! When others ask you about your weapon or why you carry or try to tell you that it's illegal that's your chance to help educate your fellow Kentuckians as to their Rights to open carry in the Commonwealth. :)

Now as for your choice of OC holster. I myself have one of those and while it is one of the most comfortable OC rigs I own, I rarely use it often. The reason being that for some reason it seems to needlessly alarm "the sheep". *LOL* While I don't really care what others might think of me personally for carrying or what I may be carrying, I do also understand that making "waves" needlessly can act against the OC'er in general.

While drop thigh rigs are fully and completely legal, they seem to attracted unneeded attention fro LEO for some reason, I guess it because they are general thought of as "military" holsters due to movies and TV shows casting them only in that light for the sheep.

Please don;t get me worng, I'm not trying to say not to get one of carry with it, I've just warning you of what you might encounter when carrying with one. Me personally, I love that OC configuration. :)

mem1977

First off, Congrats on your first sidearm and welcome to the official world of OC. :)

Read the laws, know the laws, and when someone you encounter starts telling you that OC is illegal, that's your chance to shine! When others ask you about your weapon or why you carry or try to tell you that it's illegal that's your chance to help educate your fellow Kentuckians as to their Rights to open carry in the Commonwealth. :)

Now as for your choice of OC holster. I myself have one of those and while it is one of the most comfortable OC rigs I own, I rarely use it often. The reason being that for some reason it seems to needlessly alarm "the sheep". *LOL* While I don't really care what others might think of me personally for carrying or what I may be carrying, I do also understand that making "waves" needlessly can act against the OC'er in general.

While drop thigh rigs are fully and completely legal, they seem to attracted unneeded attention fro LEO for some reason, I guess it because they are general thought of as "military" holsters due to movies and TV shows casting them only in that light for the sheep.

Please don;t get me worng, I'm not trying to say not to get one of carry with it, I've just warning you of what you might encounter when carrying with one. Me personally, I love that OC configuration. :)

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it 100%. Here is a photo of my first piece.IMAG0303.jpg

rscottie

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it 100%. Here is a photo of my first piece.View attachment 6586

Very nice!

In case you haven't heard, Taurus ships their firearms with some very thick grease inside. Make sure you clean every bit out before your first firing session as it does gum things up.
I know firsthand about the shipping grease and
The Taurus in my avatar is a PT145 which I OC and CC.

If you want, there is a place for Taurus fans where you can find a lot of good information. It is not affiliated with the manufacturer but is just people that like Taurus firearms. Also, people that have complaints will often find answers there too.

http://www.taurusarmed.net