• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can we get some help here in Oklahoma from OCDO members in other states?

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
We are in a fight to get open carry in Oklahoma. Oklahoma is pivotal for Texas and Arkansas getting OC later. (permit OC, I know, but it's better than our current law). There are a lot of news stories that are being filled with anti oc comments. Some are hoplophobes telling us our sex organs are lacking, some are fudds telling us to keep it hidden, many are just idiots. The battle for public opinion is on. Can some of you go visit these stories, google for more, and help us out? I don't like being one of four people who are the only ones debating this issue.

MAny of you with OC experience can relate your own experiences, and it could help.

Here are some links to recent stories.
http://www.examiner.com/top-news-in-oklahoma-city/trayvon-martin-shooting-causing-debate-open-carry-law
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southcentral/2012/03/27/240897.htm
http://muskogeephoenix.com/opinion/x1862285891/THE-PEOPLE-SPEAK-Open-carry-law-right-for-Oklahoma
http://www.newson6.com/story/17261024/oklahoma-lawmakers-debate-on-open-carry-handgun-law
http://www.news9.com/story/17261024/oklahoma-lawmakers-debate-on-open-carry-handgun-law
http://newsok.com/oklahomas-proposed-open-carry-for-guns-draws-mixed-opinions/article/3660549

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So, if I understand you correctly, you are asking folks whp do not live in Oklahoma and have experienced open carry to write comments explaining that there really is not blood flowing in the streets, there are not shoot-outs over parking spaces, and that nobody has blown away some fool with 16 items who just had to use the 15-or-less express checkout lane?

I mean, I could do that for you. But seriously, do you really think it will change the mind of anybody reading the comments? And besides, they do not know me and I have no bona fides to offer saying that I even know what I'm talking about.

If you want to expose delusional thinking for what it is, it seems to me you would want to do that to the legislators who are going to vote on the OC bill.

It's just a suggestion but you might help whoever is pushing the OC bill to contact the POI (Point of Information) from the gun-rights advocate organizations in states that already have OC or are also trying to get OC. You might also search the newspapers in states that have OC for some articles published near the 1-year and 5-year anniversary of passage of OC legislation (or passage of CC or "shall issue" legislation in those states where OC was never illegal). Often a reporter or editor will get brave enough to write about how the worst fears never actually materialized and the crime statistics actuallly show that gun toters who are not thugs/criminals to begin with are more law-abiding than the cops and have magnitudes fewer NDs than the cops, let alone actually shooting folks (legally, justifiable, excusably). Then put that information under the noses of all the legislators.

Just my take on what you are asking. Others may have an entirely different opinion.

stay safe.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I live in Ky, and we have had OC for over 200 years, since we obtained statehood. I can not find a single incident where someone has illegally used their firearm while OC'ing, or that has been charged for a violent offense while OC'ing. We can carry in all government buildings, including the Capitol and chambers of the Capitol. OC is allowed everywhere in the state and can't be prohibited, and there has been no problems. We must not forget to mention that no license is required to OC, and that we can also carry in out vehicle, and no law enforcement officers have been harmed during traffic stops.

You need to gather all this information and testify before your legislature in favor of this bill. It is a no-brain'er to me, because your are already carrying a firearm with your license, this would just allow you to carry it openly. What criminal would carry his firearm for all to see? I would venture to guess none would, because they are carrying illegally to begin with.

This is indeed a start for your OC rights, but I would not wish to OC when a Leo can approach and ask for I.d. I believe that an unreasonable search of your person, and you must continue to fight for un-licensed OC, so you can't be harassed for exercising your constitutional rights.

DangerClose

This is indeed a start for your OC rights, but I would not wish to OC when a Leo can approach and ask for I.d. I believe that an unreasonable search of your person, and you must continue to fight for un-licensed OC, so you can't be harassed for exercising your constitutional rights.

Yes, if a LEO can stop you just because you're carrying a gun in order to see if you have a permit for it, that's crap. That's even more crap than needing the permit in the first place. The Second Amendment is my permit, you big goofs.

I would have left some comments at the OP's links, but I'd have to register for each site.

It's amusing how some states fight to have open carry with citizens predicting shootouts for parking spaces, while other states fight to have concealed carry with citizens predicting shootouts for parking spaces. And of course the only people who would have a shootout for parking spaces are people who would ignore gun laws anyway.

WI just went through all of this for concealed carry, and it's all so stupid. You could always legally walk around with a gun on your hip and the sky didn't fall, but if you put a jacket over it because it's the middle of winter, suddenly you're a menace to society. It's stupid.

hermannr

I live in Ky, and we have had OC for over 200 years, since we obtained statehood. I can not find a single incident where someone has illegally used their firearm while OC'ing, or that has been charged for a violent offense while OC'ing. We can carry in all government buildings, including the Capitol and chambers of the Capitol. OC is allowed everywhere in the state and can't be prohibited, and there has been no problems. We must not forget to mention that no license is required to OC, and that we can also carry in out vehicle, and no law enforcement officers have been harmed during traffic stops.

You need to gather all this information and testify before your legislature in favor of this bill. It is a no-brain'er to me, because your are already carrying a firearm with your license, this would just allow you to carry it openly. What criminal would carry his firearm for all to see? I would venture to guess none would, because they are carrying illegally to begin with.

WA is the same as KY, been that way since statehood, never been a problem..I know, licensed is better than no carry, but unlicensed is the constitutional method. ID has the same wording in their state constitution, and ID has had unlicensed OC since statehood...held up in court way back in 1902. WA, ID, OR, MT, WY, NV, etc, etc.....have never had a problem...