• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Modifying justifiable homicide provisions.

Metalhead47

John,
This explains the bill. If after this you still don't like the bill, feel free to come down to testify against it. I believe it is the right thing to do.

“The current statute is very vague as to which situations can serve as justification for homicide; it technically allows a citizen to kill another to prevent the commission of any felony in his or presence, even when there was no human life or safety in jeopardy. This has never been the law in Washington, because Washington’s courts have always interpreted the statute to require that the homicide be committed to prevent the loss of human life or great personal injury. The changes in this bill with regard to the commission of a felony help match the statute up to the actual current law in Washington.

As to the retreat requirement in this bill, a citizen would, under this bill, still be entitled to use deadly force to protect him or herself, his or her family, or anyone else in his or presence. However, if the citizen had a completely safe alternative to violence to prevent the confrontation or harm, the law requires the person to take that alternative instead of committing homicide.”

This came this morning. I must thank her for her quick response.
Now I must compose a calm and concise response when my opportunity to testify comes.

I have a Mother and I am adult enough, for the most part, to take care of myself. I am offended that the rep thinks she has to legislate in my behalf, against my behalf. Confusing, eh? I guess I will have to tell her how I really feel.

Oh but you misunderstand MSG. It isn't like that at all. She's not legislating on YOUR behalf, she's legislating on the BAD GUY'S behalf! After all, under the current law one of those poor, disadvantaged, oppressed people just getting their life back together might be senselessly murdered!

boatswain

Can someone ask her for local examples of such senseless murders? Let's see some data, not anecdotes from out of WA.

sudden valley gunner

John,
This explains the bill. If after this you still don't like the bill, feel free to come down to testify against it. I believe it is the right thing to do.

“The current statute is very vague as to which situations can serve as justification for homicide; it technically allows a citizen to kill another to prevent the commission of any felony in his or presence, even when there was no human life or safety in jeopardy. This has never been the law in Washington, because Washington’s courts have always interpreted the statute to require that the homicide be committed to prevent the loss of human life or great personal injury. The changes in this bill with regard to the commission of a felony help match the statute up to the actual current law in Washington.

As to the retreat requirement in this bill, a citizen would, under this bill, still be entitled to use deadly force to protect him or herself, his or her family, or anyone else in his or presence. However, if the citizen had a completely safe alternative to violence to prevent the confrontation or harm, the law requires the person to take that alternative instead of committing homicide.”

This came this morning. I must thank her for her quick response.
Now I must compose a calm and concise response when my opportunity to testify comes.

I have a Mother and I am adult enough, for the most part, to take care of myself. I am offended that the rep thinks she has to legislate in my behalf, against my behalf. Confusing, eh? I guess I will have to tell her how I really feel.

She has no understanding of the constitution of this state common law or even accepted law. I look forward to seeing what your reply is, but she has her blinders on.

We are not a stand your ground state, we have the common law right upheld by our supreme court to not retreat from where you rightfully have the right to be. Maybe we should organize a trip down to testify.

Seattle PD "BIRK"

Hehehe I see what you did there.....

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Maybe we should organize a trip down to testify......

I AGREE! I think a good number of us need to exercise our First Amendment rights to ensure keeping our Second Amendment rights.
A good turnout would ensure the message. I have already requested information on when and where we go to testify. Info will be posted when available.

You all carry a weapon every day. This is your opportunity to let the government know you do not want our Constitution bandied about. If you actually have to use your weapon, you do not need the possibility of prosecution haunting you. Stand up for your Rights.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Re: house bill 1012Monday, December 17, 2012 10:30 AM

From: "Appleton, Rep. Sherry" <Sherry.Appleton@leg.wa.gov>Add sender to Contacts
To: "John Laigaie III"

After January 14th it will be scheduled. Check Legislative Committee listings.

OK Gentleman and Ladies. We have an approximate date. Prepare what you will say to the legislature today.

tombrewster421

What exactly does she think the "actual law" in Washington is? Correct me if I'm wrong but that would have to be the statute that she wants to change right, not what judges and prosecutors have been able to get away with in the past?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
What exactly does she think the "actual law" in Washington is? Correct me if I'm wrong but that would have to be the statute that she wants to change right, not what judges and prosecutors have been able to get away with in the past?

Yep, thats the ticket. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/1012.pdf

This is the statute and how she wants to change it. Bad law, knee jerk fear, uneducated legislature. We must prepare now to present ourselves to the house and stop this attempt to disarm us all.

I really have a problem with this part.
Homicide shall not be justifiable under this statute if the
p. 1 HB 1012 1 slayer knows or should know that he or she could avoid the necessity of
2 using such force with complete safety by retreating.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have started sending her emails of positive encounters by LACs. She has only lived on one side of the street, maybe education will help.
As Boomboy has stated on many occasions, the thwarted attempts get little press and the mass killings(fail) are all over the media. Try not to ridicule a hoplophobe, educate. They have intelligence but have been deceived by others. I think of the so called representative I keep seeing on the TV telling people they can get rocket launchers and land mines at "gunshows". "We must limit what people can own", he said.

Freedom1Man

I have started sending her emails of positive encounters by LACs. She has only lived on one side of the street, maybe education will help.
As Boomboy has stated on many occasions, the thwarted attempts get little press and the mass killings(fail) are all over the media. Try not to ridicule a hoplophobe, educate. They have intelligence but have been deceived by others. I think of the so called representative I keep seeing on the TV telling people they can get rocket launchers and land mines at "gunshows". "We must limit what people can own", he said.

It sucks because I was looking for rocket launcher and landmines at guns shows when I fist got into gun shows. I was sorely disappointed by the extreme lack of selection to be had at guns shows.

Last edited: