• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB1415 Castle Doctrine

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think this bill must have been written in crayon. I sure hope VCDL doesn't support it and end up with egg on their faces again.

HB 1415 Self-defense and defense of others; encodes version of "castle doctrine."
Anne B. Crockett-Stark | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles
another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box

Summary as introduced:
Castle doctrine. Encodes a version of the "castle doctrine," allowing the use of physical force, including deadly force, by a person in his dwelling against an intruder in the dwelling who has committed an overt act against him or another person who is lawfully in the dwelling, without civil liability and without limit to any other existing defense or immunity.Full text:
12/18/12 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/13 13100740D pdf

12/18/12 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/13 13100740D
12/18/12 House: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't hold your breath...

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if only it said "or (ii)"

Roscoe

If you sit down and dissect it, there are a lot of problem, one of the biggest ones is that it dilutes Common Law.
Delegate Crocket-Stark (I hate it when women use two names) ain't talking .....yet!

2a4all

I could live with it if:

"(i) the other person has unlawfully entered the dwelling and has committed an overt act toward the occupant or another person in the dwelling..." were changed to "... and has committed or threatened to commit...".

It does raise questions about limiting self defense actions to one's home (v garage, porch or patio, etc.), but it doesn't prohibit them.

I like the immunity provision, though.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I could live with it if:

"(i) the other person has unlawfully entered the dwelling and has committed an overt act toward the occupant or another person in the dwelling..." were changed to "... and has committed or threatened to commit...".

I like the immunity provision.

Except it won't exist in the real world. It's only wax fruit on the table.

cjakesnyder1988

Except it won't exist in the real world. It's only wax fruit on the table.

" Common law " in Virginia? I thought VA's current lethal force law was that you ahve to prove you were in fear for your life. I may be mistaking but this new bill sounds better than having to prove I was so afraid I had to kill them

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
" Common law " in Virginia? I thought VA's current lethal force law was that you ahve to prove you were in fear for your life. I may be mistaking but this new bill sounds better than having to prove I was so afraid I had to kill them

Yes, common law in Virginia.
This is an extremely complex issue and the resident expert is User. He's the Attorney that's written the most acceptable Castle Doctrine bill to date. It has yet to be submitted but will at some point.

To be technical....This new bill sucks.
It's poorly written, shallow, restricting and dangerous.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, common law in Virginia.
This is an extremely complex issue and the resident expert is User. He's the Attorney that's written the most acceptable Castle Doctrine bill to date. It has yet to be submitted but will at some point.

To be technical....This new bill sucks.
It's poorly written, shallow, restricting and dangerous.

Bad bills do not make good law.