• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.40SW

Harry25

imported post

I'm looking to get my first handgun soon, and I've looked around and decided on a SIG P229. Now, I'm deciding on the caliber, and I want to get it in .40SW, but I've heard that they're prone to failure. Has anyone heard anything about this?

tnhawk

imported post

I'm not familar with the Sig P229, however I have several .40 pistols(SA, Glock, Kahr), none of which have had any problems.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Harry25 wrote:
I'm looking to get my first handgun soon, and I've looked around and decided on a SIG P229. Now, I'm deciding on the caliber, and I want to get it in .40SW, but I've heard that they're prone to failure. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I own one. My brother in law owns the same 229r. He is a secret service agent.

This gun is 100% reliable and I would trust my life with nothing less.

Video on Sig reliability!

oldkim

imported post

What failure?

As with almost any caliber - there are folks that really like them and those that do not.

I own a Sig P229R 40/357Sig and thanks to Sig now have10 magazines for thatlittle gem.

The 40S&W is a good round - a compromise of a 9mm and 45ACP. Most LEO departments around the country are switching or have switched to this caliber. Sure there are more powerful rounds out there but life is full of compromises. Remember someone has to "pack it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_S%26W

What have you heard? I have over 9,000 rounds in the last 5 years in 40 and another 4000 in 357Sig. Still going and looks great!

I mention the357Sig since all it takes to shoot this caliber in the 40 is to change out the barrel. The frame, slide and magazines are the same.

I got the extra magazines when I bought the Sig 556 SWAT and they gave me an in-store credit refund(they ran a special at the beginning of the year). :celebrate

Broondog

imported post

it might be that the OP is referring to the problems of 'hot' .40S&W handloads being mated with a Glock and going KABOOM!. at least that's the way i read his post. but i have been running mid range handloads thru my G22 for a few years now and have had no ill effects. as with all handloads one must be careful what one does.

as far as the Sig P229, i personally have one in 9mm and it's a sweet little pistol. the only failure that i have had with it was mag related (ProMags). the pistol itself is reliable.

AL Ranger

imported post

Most of mine are .40 and its my preferred caliber. Of all the different types of pistols, I have not had a single problem with any of them (feeding, shooting, ejecting). I have never heard of any problems associated with the 40.

daddy4count

imported post

.40 is an amazing caliber... there are days when I consider switching back to it. I carried .40 in a 1911 Para Ordnance for years.

I'm really not sure about failures, either in the caliber itself or with the Sig 229 but if there were some I highly doubt it was the fault of the bullet or the gun.

While you will always find a small percentage of manufacturing defects in any product, you should feel fairly confident going with a Sig. They do not make anything less than excellent weapons. Period.

There is a reason the Navy uses the Sig P229 in .40 and it isn't because Sig came in with the lowest bid.

jddssc121

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
.40 is an amazing caliber... there are days when I consider switching back to it.   I carried .40 in a 1911 Para Ordnance for years. 

I'm really not sure about failures, either in the caliber itself or with the Sig 229 but if there were some I highly doubt it was the fault of the bullet or the gun.

While you will always find a small percentage of manufacturing defects in any product, you should feel fairly confident going with a Sig.  They do not make anything less than excellent weapons.  Period.

There is a reason the Navy uses the Sig P229 in .40 and it isn't because Sig came in with the lowest bid.

and SEALs use its big brother the 226. Awesome pistol.

I had a 226 but got rid of it because i got sick of being a lefty w/ a right handed pistol for carry. If i wasn't a lefty, a 229 or 226 is what i would still carry.

younggun20

imported post

I carry .40 and personally prefer it over 9mm and 45acp... but please lets not start that argument again. :D

I have heard the .40+p is unstable and un regulated so Ive never touched the stuff. But both my Glock 22 and Glock 23 are running well

ecocks

imported post

I'd challenge this whole "prone to failure" line.

Aside from it being my caliber and carry of choice, my wife selected it after firing .22's, .32's, 9's, .40's and .45's.

It's all about what works for you, not some vague rumor mill, to determine.

Shoop

imported post

Ust picked up a Walthe P99 QA in .40S&W and couldn't love it more! Already put about 120 rounds through it, no jams, no misfeeding, and she fits like a glove. The sig 229 is a dream and a nice hefty gun too.

jddssc121

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
younggun20 wrote:
I carry .40 and personally prefer it over 9mm and 45acp... but please lets not start that argument again. :D

I have heard the .40+p is unstable and un regulated so Ive never touched the stuff. But both my Glock 22 and Glock 23 are running well
There's no such thing.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=115
I agree that this load is certainly a high pressure load to produce the numbers advertised. But if I am not mistaken SAAMI still does not recognize any +P loads for the .40S&W cartridge. If this is still the case, the manufacturer in the link has taken it upon himself to apply that designation.

Last edited:

Porter N

I love the round and it's my caliber of choice. I'm still relatively new to firearms ownership, but i'd say i've shot close to 15k rounds or more of various calibers with no problems with any ammo of any size.

Harry25

Sorry, I've been away for a while.

Broondog: You were right. It looks like it was reloaded ammo, and since I'll be new in the world of firearms, I can't see myself doing that for a LONG time. :D

Mas49.56

Gentlemen, I've shot many thousands of rounds of .40S&W over the decades and have had only one catastrophic failure. The round was an early factory loaded Federal Hydroshock. The case was made too thin and it failed in my G23. Blew the magazine apart, flung off the extractor and chipped the mag catch. Hurt like hell. Federal admitted fault, recalled and redesigned the ammo with a thicker case. I put my Glock back together with a new extractor and mag catch, it's still shooting good to this day. Failures can and will happen with any ammo type.The .40S&W is still my first choice for carry.

ElevenBravo

I owned a Glock 22 (.40 S&W) for a good while (Until I had to sell it to pay bills), It functioned and cycled perfectly. I trusted my life and the life of my family to it, this is while I was working corrections and an encounter with an ex-con not only was a real possibility, but I had run into quite a few in my outings. It happens, because there are SO MANY of them.

GL,
Andrew