• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 in the $500 range...?

Scooter

So, a good friend of mine has $500 to spend on a handgun. He wants to get a 1911 style handgun in 9mm. I have done some research and have found several that have good quality reviews. Thought I would ask around here and see if anyone has any personal experience/favorites in this price range.
Thanks in advance!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
While I despise a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP, your friend may want to check out Rock Island Armory. They have 9mm offering with that price range. I have two of their 1911s and they have been really reliable. For a little bit more money ($550-600) he could also look into the PT1911 from Taurus. I will vouch for Taurus as well. 1911s are a joy to own. Good luck!!

Scooter

While I despise a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP, your friend may want to check out Rock Island Armory. They have 9mm offering with that price range. I have two of their 1911s and they have been really reliable. For a little bit more money ($550-600) he could also look into the PT1911 from Taurus. I will vouch for Taurus as well. 1911s are a joy to own. Good luck!!

Yep, the two that you have mentioned are on the short list of options. As far as 9mm vs. 45ACP; he is leaning toward 9mm for the less expense/more shooting aspect though 45ACP is not out of the question. You are right about 1911's though; I recently purchased a 1911-22 from Chiappa and it is a great gun! I am really looking for a "reason" to get another one in a higher caliber for carry! I really can't complain as my M&P 9c has been perfect, still......it's no 1911...
Thanks for the input!

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Two Tauruses (Taurii?) PT1911, one with plenty of range time, the other newer.

I carry the older one. That alone is my testament to their reliability; that I trust it with my life. Fires anything I feed it.

Had a ParaOrdnance Subcompact 1911 in 40SW, and didn't trust it to open bottles. Likewise a High Standard Compact Crusader 45ACP that has feed issues (at the gunsmith as we speak).

Besides, nothing says manly man like a 1911 in 45ACP!:lol:

And nothing says STOP like a 230gn HP at around 900 FPS.

Instead of wasting money on a conversion kit, start reloading for a couple of hundred bucks.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
my 9mm PT1911 came NIB.

Safety on -pull trigger -nothing happens - good to go

drop safety -HOLY BAJESUS HAMMER FALLS THANKGODFORDAHALFCOCKPOSITION
Sent back and returned in a week fixed.

In a gun that requires all the internals to fit together with great precision (1911s) I do not trust Taurus.

Here, enjoy some pictures of the internals of a NIB PT1911 from Taurus. This is a separate pt1911 from the one described above. I've owned 4 PT1911s. Took me a while to learn my lesson about Taurus' terrible quality.

DSCN0485.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

My .02...actually...my $2,100 (appx)

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
+1 Reloading pays for itself so fast its ridiculous.

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit...$100
RCBS Carbide 3-Die Set 45 ACP, 45 GAP..................$45
Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel.$25

That pretty much covers 'capital equipment', now on to materials

Brass........... Free, just pick 'em up
Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 45 Caliber (451 Diameter) 200 Grain Plated Round Nose $18 per 100
Hodgdon Universal Clays Smokeless Powder...............$22 per pound (over 1000 rounds worth)
CCI Large Pistol Primers....$3.50 per 100

This should yield a price of about $12/box of 50

Buying bullets in bulk drops it to $8.60, or even less. Get your buddies together on a material buy.

Buy your powder and primers locally. Shipping incurs a hazardous materials fee that negates small volume buys.

Guys, did I miss anything for basic reloading? All the load data is on line, so no sense spending money on books.

Oh, and measure powder VERY carefully. The Lee kit comes with a scale, its pretty good for validating the settings on the powder dropper.

Overcharging a round will ruin your gun, ruin your day, ruin your life. This is MOST CRITICAL. I can never say too much about careful weighing of charges.

Been there, done that. Stings like a bitch, and I got off easy.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Bullet puller 20$

I get wheel weights for 25$ /50 POUNDS, = 2,000 bullets

Add a LEE bullet mold at 30$, a sizer die for 20$, and a casting pot, also by LEE at 55$, and you can save a lot more money.

I pick up the brass at the range, and when I run low on my caliber, you can easily trade with other reloaders for what you have on hand. I just picked up 2000 empties in trade for brass I cant use for the cost of shipping. I spent about 20 bucks in total.

Im averaging 5.25 a box of 100 .40S&W.

When you can, get an RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale (avoid digital) and a powder measure.

Last edited:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Bullet puller 20$

I get wheel weights for 25$ /50 POUNDS, = 2,000 bullets

Add a LEE bullet mold at 30$, a sizer die for 20$, and a casting pot, also by LEE at 55$, and you can save a lot more money.

I pick up the brass at the range, and when I run low on my caliber, you can easily trade with other reloaders for what you have on hand. I just picked up 2000 empties in trade for brass I cant use for the cost of shipping. I spent about 20 bucks in total.

Im averaging 5.25 a box of 100 .40S&W.

When you can, get an RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale (avoid digital) and a powder measure.

Amen on avoiding digital, at least as your 'gold standard'. It was a digital that taught me what it feels like to have a overcharged load in the palm of your hand. Screwed up the gun, too.

Digitals are nice for a production check, but ALWAYS verify with the beam scale.

Last edited:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I got a digital with the Lyman T-mag kit (love that press), but I traded the digital for the beam scale. IIRC, I had to throw in some cash, but it was so worth it. That little 5-0-5 has been great.

BTW, if you ever need 40SW or 223, I got that stuff in piles. Local LEOs use my club for practice, and they spew brass everywhere. The M4's start rocking, the brass comes knocking.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
my 9mm PT1911 came NIB.

Safety on -pull trigger -nothing happens - good to go

drop safety -HOLY BAJESUS HAMMER FALLS THANKGODFORDAHALFCOCKPOSITION
Sent back and returned in a week fixed.

In a gun that requires all the internals to fit together with great precision (1911s) I do not trust Taurus.

Here, enjoy some pictures of the internals of a NIB PT1911 from Taurus. This is a separate pt1911 from the one described above. I've owned 4 PT1911s. Took me a while to learn my lesson about Taurus' terrible quality.

My .02...actually...my $2,100 (appx)
I have owned 5 Taurus pistols in my life time. One thing I've discovered, you either hate them, or you love them. I've never owned a PT1911, yet. But I have a PT92AFS, that is nearly 20 years old. It's never jammed, never broken on me and never failed to fire. Of the others I've owned, I had one that gave me any problems at all, and it was just a total mystery. But, if I had the money, I'd buy another Taurus pistol or revolver tomorrow.

That's just my .10. (Inflation)

Last edited:

Bronson

If you buy a Taurus get a used one. There is no benefit to buying a new one. They are one of the few companies that doesn't limit their warranty to the original owner. We have a Taurus 905 revovler that was purchased used and it started shooting out of time. I sent it in and four weeks later it was returned to me with a new cylinder and the problem was fixed....all covered under warranty.

Bronson

3fgburner

They call it a 1911 because at $1911.oo is where they start becoming worth your money. :D

Ran into a buddy at a shoot a few weeks ago. I spent $300 on my Rock Island, back before they went up. He had a $3,000 custom job. I watched him shoot a 4-6" or so group at 25 feet. Asked if I could try. Brought over my Rocky, rolled the target back out, and put a magazine through the 1.5-2" brand name logo on the target. Then I put away the Rocky and went back to what I'd been doing.