• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had a conversation about OC with a Bloomfield LEO.

Tactical_Evo

So, I was at my sister's house for a BBQ recently. One of her guests was a LEO who works in Bloomfield on the force, and claims to have been working as a LEO for about 17 years. I was not carrying my firearm on me that day, but I raised the question with the officer: "How do you guys treat permit holder's open carrying in Bloomfield?" I can't remember word for word what he said, but I certainty caught some key points which alarmed me. He basically said: 'Don't do it. I don't know who you are if I see you open carrying, or if you're going to just start shooting or getting crazy. It's a good way to get yourself killed.' He then went on ranting about how himself or another officer might shoot you for those reasons (because they're concerned about their safety and you have a gun).

Now, I didn't want to start a debate with him at my sister's house or with all the little kids around, so I ended the discussion there. But can you imagine just OCing in town and a high-strung/nervous LEO draws out on you and potentially opens fire simply because you are going about your business while being legally armed?! Left me with this type of feeling: :uhoh:

Last edited:

Tactical_Evo

That isn't a cop then. It is a homicidal criminal.

Post his name.

Can't remember it unfortunately. He was just one of several people I had a random conversation with, and when I found out his title asked the question with curiosity. It was a rather alarming response though!

Rich B

Can't remember it unfortunately. He was just one of several people I had a random conversation with, and when I found out his title asked the question with curiosity. It was a rather alarming response though!

When I speak to people who say they are going to murder people I know, I usually spend extra effort to take down their name.

This is also why a voice recorder should be running continuously.

Tactical_Evo

Understood. I don't currently have a recorder, and without one I would assume my word is useless to anything.

cteaglesfan

And 'our' tax dollars pay the salary of people like that, WOW!!!!!!!!

A good friend of mine had a saying about LEOs like that 'It's amazing what 1 man can do with a badge, a high school diploma and an over inflated sense of self importance'

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
And 'our' tax dollars pay the salary of people like that, WOW!!!!!!!!

A good friend of mine had a saying about LEOs like that 'It's amazing what 1 man can do with a badge, a high school diploma and an over inflated sense of self importance'

It is amazing ... that this guy is still breathing ...

CCinMaine

Too bad you weren't OC'ing and he hadn't noticed. That sounds like something that should be disqualifying mental perception for someone to be a LEO. Unless its normal for LEO's to want to shoot every LAC they see...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tattedupboy

Is anyone aware of a scenario in which a person who was legally and peaceably open carrying was shot or physically assaulted by LEOs simply because they were open carrying? Just asking because I'm wondering if this LEO is just all talk, or if there is documented evidence of this sort of thing actually happening.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
So, I was at my sister's house for a BBQ recently. One of her guests was a LEO who works in Bloomfield on the force, and claims to have been working as a LEO for about 17 years. I was not carrying my firearm on me that day, but I raised the question with the officer: "How do you guys treat permit holder's open carrying in Bloomfield?" I can't remember word for word what he said, but I certainty caught some key points which alarmed me. He basically said: 'Don't do it. I don't know who you are if I see you open carrying, or if you're going to just start shooting or getting crazy. It's a good way to get yourself killed.' He then went on ranting about how himself or another officer might shoot you for those reasons (because they're concerned about their safety and you have a gun).

Now, I didn't want to start a debate with him at my sister's house or with all the little kids around, so I ended the discussion there. But can you imagine just OCing in town and a high-strung/nervous LEO draws out on you and potentially opens fire simply because you are going about your business while being legally armed?! Left me with this type of feeling: :uhoh:

Ahhh, yes. The old "don't know you" fallacy. Only people he knows may exercise the right to self-defense.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Oh, thank you, officer, for confessing that you would use lethal force without all the elements of AOJ. That will look just dandy in your personnel file.

And, thank you, for revealing that from what you know of your colleagues, you have reason to believe they would, too.

He doesn't realize it, yet, but if he ever does have to shoot someone in the line of duty, he's handed out a great piece of evidence for a civil suit.

I would make very sure to write up that conversation in a formal complaint to the PD before somebody gets shot. And, be sure to forward a copy to the City Attorney so he's on notice.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Assuming the officer (Law enforcement or Opinion) has a penis and testicles he must be immediately investigated and seized as a POTENTIAL RAPIST per his own logic!

JoeSparky

Centurion
Is anyone aware of a scenario in which a person who was legally and peaceably open carrying was shot or physically assaulted by LEOs simply because they were open carrying? Just asking because I'm wondering if this LEO is just all talk, or if there is documented evidence of this sort of thing actually happening.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD

Multiple incidents of armed off duty or undercover LEO's being shot by OTHER LEO's in NY due to "inadequate IDENTIFICATION" have been reported in the various news providers!

Last edited:

CT Barfly

That isn't a cop then. It is a homicidal criminal.

Post his name.

OMG...we agree.

Maybe don't post his name, but it might be worth a quick call to the dept to initiate a refresher. OC is legal in CT. If you have to indicate which officer is apparently mistaken, then by all means...he's putting the municipality at risk for a big wrongful death liability.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
OMG...we agree.

Maybe don't post his name, but it might be worth a quick call to the dept to initiate a refresher. OC is legal in CT. If you have to indicate which officer is apparently mistaken, then by all means...he's putting the municipality at risk for a big wrongful death liability.

The police know its legal.

There has been so much information in police circles and media about OC in the last seven years, that no cop could possibly claim to not know OC is legal.

They also know the requirements for RAS and Terry Stops and so forth.

We've been all through this before--cops trying to discourage OC by threatening 4th Amendment (search and seizure) violations or death.

Hit this cop with the biggest hammer you can swing (rhetorically speaking).

Last edited:

motoxmann

The police know its legal.

There has been so much information in police circles and media about OC in the last seven years, that no cop could possibly claim to not know OC is legal.

They also know the requirements for RAS and Terry Stops and so forth.

We've been all through this before--cops trying to discourage OC by threatening 4th Amendment (search and seizure) violations or death.

Hit this cop with the biggest hammer you can swing (rhetorically speaking).

^I'm with this guy^, and Rich of course. PEOPLE, whether they be LEO's or LAC's, who have the mentality of this officer you speak of are the EXACT reason I carry. they are unstable and often just looking for any reason to kill someone. people like this are the exact type that true common sense gun laws should prevent from ever being able to handle a firearm, let alone own or carry one, and definitely not be required to have one for their job..