• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps has died

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nathan Phelps, Fred Phelps' estranged son, wrote a statement on his Facebook page on March 16, explaining his father's failing health:

I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates ****" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.
I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes.

Before founding the Westboro Church, Phelps was a disbarred lawyer who founded the Phelps Chartered law firm.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24989018/westboro-baptist-church-founder-fred-phelps-has-died

Primus

Wonder if anyone will picket his funeral. I doubt it and they shouldn't, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if they did.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Primus

I suspect that he has lot's of 'splainin' to do to the Almighty for his hateful conduct. Protesting at his funeral would lower the participants to his level of conduct.

I agree which is why I said they shouldn't and hope they don't. But I'm just not that good of a person to be upset if someone did.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Wonder if anyone will picket his funeral. I doubt it and they shouldn't, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if they did.

I have riden at times with the PGR----

IF I were in the area and available AND the PGR were asked to stand at this funeral or graveside service as a buffer to those PROTESTING, I WOULD STAND WITH THE PGR!

I didn't like much if anything that this person espoused but I recognize it was and is his right to do, IN that context alone do I stand with him!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nathan Phelps, Fred Phelps' estranged son, seems like he has his act together. It is for the living to find peace and understanding.

May the movement pass into oblivion with the departure of the father.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

Nathan Phelps, Fred Phelps' estranged son, seems like he has his act together. It is for the living to find peace and understanding.

Never forget the sins of the dead. Never let the wrongs fade from memory. Fred Phelps may be gone, but I am one of many who will not forget the hate, and wrongs, and sins that he, and his family, helped perpetrate, and force onto others. Evil does not end with the demise of one of it's many prophets, nor does it's legacy. To let "the movement pass into oblivion with the departure of the father" is to say 'let's bury the memory in the ground and move on, and act like everything is fine, and dandy, and happy, and cheerful, and sunny, and calm and peaceful!'. That man helped persuade represtatives, and officials, to keep an entire class, and group of people, isolated from the many protections and entitlements that every other class/group of people are afforded.

No, sir, I hope NO ONE forgets, and NO ONE allows his crimes against humanity, to perish without a second thought. Phelps, can take his place along side the other evils of our history, in death with Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Nixon, FDR, Lincoln and Davis; But their actions, and words, will never be forgotten.

Humanity must never forget the wrongs, nor the people behind the wrongs.

Humanity cannot learn to better ourselves, and know how to be more good, if all the bad is forgotten, and allowed to 'pass into oblivion'.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Never forget the sins of the dead. Never let the wrongs fade from memory. Fred Phelps may be gone, but I am one of many who will not forget the hate, and wrongs, and sins that he, and his family, helped perpetrate, and force onto others. Evil does not end with the demise of one of it's many prophets, nor does it's legacy. To let "the movement pass into oblivion with the departure of the father" is to say 'let's bury the memory in the ground and move on, and act like everything is fine, and dandy, and happy, and cheerful, and sunny, and calm and peaceful!'. That man helped persuade represtatives, and officials, to keep an entire class, and group of people, isolated from the many protections and entitlements that every other class/group of people are afforded.

No, sir, I hope NO ONE forgets, and NO ONE allows his crimes against humanity, to perish without a second thought. Phelps, can take his place along side the other evils of our history, in death with Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Nixon, FDR, Lincoln and Davis; But their actions, and words, will never be forgotten.

Humanity cannot learn to better ourselves, and know how to be more good, if all the bad is forgotten, and allowed to 'pass into oblivion'.
The word "oblivion" is the object of the preposition "into" not the subject of the sentence - that being the "movement.""

Therefore it is the "movement" that one might wish should pass into oblivion, not the memory of the ills it perpetuated.

OC for ME

<snip>

You left out Pol Pot.

Gallowmere

I can only hope that in his moment of death, he'll have had at least had the slightest realization that all of his hatred and bitterness was for naught. In the end, we all rot, and time spent on hate is time utterly wasted. I doubt it, but I can hope.