• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

All in a day...

phred

Today a technician came to install a new satellite TV system. After noticing I was carrying, his first words about it were " I guess you see gun control as using both hands". On and off, we had a some nice discussions. He left with a firm handshake and a WCI pamphlet.

On another note, yesterday I went to Gander Mt in Rothschild (Wausau) and carried. I had service people all over the place helping me find what I was looking for. Today I went back there and as an experiment did not carry. (I even dressed the same, and it was the same time of day.) I had to hunt for help. Maybe Big Brother IS really watching and that's what the greeter is for!

M

McX

an armed society is a polite society, even for the ones who aren't apparently.

kd6sxa

On another note, yesterday I went to Gander Mt in Rothschild (Wausau) and carried. I had service people all over the place helping me find what I was looking for. Today I went back there and as an experiment did not carry. (I even dressed the same, and it was the same time of day.) I had to hunt for help. Maybe Big Brother IS really watching and that's what the greeter is for![/QUOTE]

I also have notices since I started OC the customer service in a lot of stores has gotten better.

B

bhancock

I had never even had so much as a greeting at Gander until one day I went in OC. I got smiles, hellos, can I help you. There I could see that they might feel you are a qualified customer if you come in with a firearm. But I also have noticed that most other places I go armed also provide a higher level of customer service and friendliness. I think it is because a person who is armed has accepted a higher level of responsibility for himself/herself and others. I would equate it somewhat to how the general population feel when the see someone in the armed forces, fire department or LEO. Even if they are somewhat intimidated at first, there is a certain comfort that comes when you are next to someone who can save/defend you.

CUOfficer

I had never even had so much as a greeting at Gander until one day I went in OC. I got smiles, hellos, can I help you. There I could see that they might feel you are a qualified customer if you come in with a firearm. But I also have noticed that most other places I go armed also provide a higher level of customer service and friendliness. I think it is because a person who is armed has accepted a higher level of responsibility for himself/herself and others. I would equate it somewhat to how the general population feel when the see someone in the armed forces, fire department or LEO. Even if they are somewhat intimidated at first, there is a certain comfort that comes when you are next to someone who can save/defend you.

I have to politely disagree. There was a post on here some time ago about how Best Buy employees were trained to smother you when you came in carrying. I believe that is the new corporate tactic. They want you in and out as fast as possible so they will direct you to the product and off you go. I couldn't see Gander Mountain taking this approach but maybe I'll test it out this weekend. Just my .02.

phred

..... I believe that is the new corporate tactic. They want you in and out as fast as possible so they will direct you to the product and off you go.

Well, that was my thought too. They know open carry is legal and they want your business, but they are nervous and maybe mistrusting, especially with "strangers". So for a business, that tactic is the best compromise.

I would like to agree with BHancock when he says
I think it is because a person who is armed has accepted a higher level of responsibility for himself/herself and others.
but I do have my doubts.