• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beretta 92FS Vs. RIA 1911

rwm4192

Ok yall I need alittle help please. Im looking at purchasing a new hand gun. My future wife came home the other night to find a man standing in our back yard, who upon her pulling in the driveway run off in the woods. I have a Walther p99 in 40 cal that I really like that I plan on leaving at home mostly now for her to have but I'm looking for a weapon to keep with me. So I've looked at the RIA very extensively as I have been wanting a 1911 model for sometime now however the beretta caught my eye the other night while reading a hand gun magazine. What are yalls thoughts on the 2 guns. Im really leaning towards the 1911 for the fact that the 45 cal is much more effective, if, God forbid, I ever have to use it in that means. Also whichever I decide, Im considering a shoulder holster carry but I'm unclear on if that would be considered conceald carry even if I do not wear a coat or anything covering it. Any help you can give on these subjects would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

AIC869

I think it would depend on your individual preferences. You're going to have a higher magazine capacity in the Beretta than in the 1911. In return, the .45 will have more energy imparted on a target; however, with +P ammunition, the 9mm is a close competitor. Regardless, you wouldn't want to get hit by either one.

I've not shot a RIA, but I do own both a 92FS and a Kimber 1911. There is a pronounced amount of trigger take-up in the Beretta compared to my 1911 when shooting single-action; but if it's a factor you're aware of and practice regularly so that you are both aware of it and know the reset point of your trigger sear (i.e. - you're used to it), the Beretta is a perfectly capable pistol. In fact I shoot equally as well with it as I do with the 1911. Both are quite accurate. Both pack a punch. The Beretta is more difficult to conceal or open carry in an IWB holster IMHO. Well, maybe "difficult" isn't quite the right word. It's really just a larger framed pistol. Wider, but no heavier than the 1911. The Beretta also has a fixed front sight, and my 1911 has a dovetailed front sight that can be replaced with a night sight - just an FYI.

Owning both - with holsters for both - my personal carry preference is still for my 1911; but both are quite capable as I said before. RIA pistols often carry a smaller price tag than other brands, but many on this board have made very fine shooting pistols with incremental upgrades over time as an alternative to jumping "all in" on a high-priced gun that may shoot far better than they'll ever be capable of doing.

My advice - find a range that carries both. Shoot both. Go from there. In the end personal comfort and repeatable results make a big difference. Shot placement beats caliber in my mind. My take on it. :)

zack991

I have carried the 92sf overseas and It is a quality handgun but like it was said before it is not the easiest handgun to conceal. I had problems with it overseas on a few occasions that were do to crappy issued mags and general GI abuse. I also hate the exposed barrel, that and I just prefer the nasty tissue tearing destruction that the 45 can deliver. That and nothing says stop like a .45 point in your face.

Jeff Cooper

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.”
— Guns & Ammo, January 2002

Daniel N. Powell, USMC

When I qualified with the 1911 in the Marines, my pistol rattled when I shook it, but it would still put a full magazine into the center of a combat target. Later, when we were issued the M9, none of us could shoot them accurately. Not long after they were issued, the Corps recalled the M9 and re-issued the 1911 for that reason. It wasn't until the Pentagon ordered the Marines to carry the M9 that they were re-issued. However, almost every Marine I encountered carrying a sidearm carried a 1911 in defiance of the order right up until I was discharged in 1991.

"More Congressional Medals of Honor have been won with M1911 pistols than any other side arm. There are lots of aftermarket modifications you can do to personalize your gun. If you're inclined to tinkering, the M1911 is your gun. One of the interesting ironies about the M1911 is that, while it's one of the oldest auto loader designs, it's still the fastest (for my money). "

Bill P., Law Enforcement

Early in my career, probably 27-28 years ago, I was involved in a drug bust/warrant arrest. One of my partners was armed with a Colt .45 1911. Upon entering the apartment of the bad guy and announcing our purpose, the bad guy, who happened to be standing next to an ironing board with a hot iron on it picked up the iron and was about to use it as a weapon when my partner drew the .45, pointed it at the bad guy's chest, saying "Put it down or I'm going to put 5 big ones in the middle of your chest." Needless to say, the bad guy succumbed to the big hole in the end of the Colt.

Rosco S. Benson on rec.guns “Is the 1911 an Outdated Design?”

Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not to avoid product liability lawsuits. It came from an era where it was the norm to learn how your weapon operated and to practice that operation until it became second nature, not to design the piece to the lowest common denominator. It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today, when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal-making or the fact that the factory is in some well-connected congressman's district. Yes, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the 1911 IS an outdated design....and that's exactly what I love about it.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/other/why_the_m1911.htm

Last edited:

tnhawk

While I like my Beretta I would choose a .45 acp everytime for carry or defense. The beretta has proven itself in 25 years of use. The 1911 has done so for 100 years.

Vandal

Are you talking about carry or HD?

The 1911 and 92FS are good platforms are perform well with HP ammo. I find the 1911 easier to carry concealed.

For HD and random guys in the backyard I much prefer a 12ga shotgun. I say buy the pistol you shoot best, a shotgun and some training classes on each for you and your wife.

Joe Reeser

I don't own the Beretta but I do own the Taurus clone. I also own a Springfield 1911 (5"). I would take the 1911 hands down. It's easier to carry concealed and I believe easier to operate. Neither are difficult to field strip and maintain. The 1911 fires a more powerful cartridge especially if carrying +P ammunition, which I do (either Rangers or HSTs). I just have to recommend the 1911.

Joe Reeser

Over an RIA 1911? I beg to differ. I would buy and carry the RIA a dozen times before the Glock.

+1

I would have to wholeheartedly agree. I just don't care for Glocks. I don't have anything against them as I know they are reliable pistols. It's just a personal preference thing.