• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC or CCW while on a bike?

EyeHog

I am wondering, does anyone or has anyone OC'd or CCW'd on a bike? I don't mean a motorcycle (real bikes have pedals) I mean a bike that you pedal around and is human powered.

I regularly ride a mountain bike, and a road bike, and would like to carry, but have no idea how. I'm hoping there are a few other riders here who do the same thing and am wondering how you go about it. I've though of just putting it in the camel back, but it wouldn't be very accessible there at all. FYI, I wear cycling shorts and a jersey, so just putting on the belt won't work.

What are your thoughts? Surely somebody out there has done this before.

Tawnos

Many times. I've both OC'd an XD and CC'd an airweight. I prefer the airweight while biking, I can put it in a front right pocket and it doesn't really get in the way or weigh too much. Example rides done while carrying the airweight (yay, now you know where I live 0.o): 1 2

Don Barnett

Depends on the State

You need to look at your State regulations.

In Virginia it is legal and I OC, especially in the summer.

It is nice to be able to legally carry in the National Parks...especially along the George Washington Parkway.

Fallschirjmäger

I used to do it all the time on a mountain bike while stationed in Aridzona.

The wonderful thing about it is that almost every single motorist was Very polite. Heck, they were so polite that in stead of offering me the usual 3-ft of clearance they'd pull all the way in to the opposite lane to pass.
Of course, being left-handed might have increased their awareness of an armed rider.... who knows?

EyeHog

Let me clarify my question...

I'm not really concerned with the legality of the issue. I posted it here, because if it's legal in multiple states, I might get more input. It's legal in my state, and I'm sure it is in other states. That's not really my question.

I am more interested in tips on how you physically carry the firearm. Where on your person works best, what about on the bike, in your pack, etc. If you're wearing cycling shorts, you can't exactly strap it on your belt.

EyeHog

The wonderful thing about it is that almost every single motorist was Very polite. Heck, they were so polite that in stead of offering me the usual 3-ft of clearance they'd pull all the way in to the opposite lane to pass.
Of course, being left-handed might have increased their awareness of an armed rider.... who knows?

How did you carry it on your person?

That's kind of why I am wanting to carry. Motorists in my area don't know how to treat bikes. I've been yelled at, chased, had beer bottles thrown at me, even struck by a vehicle. Maybe seeing an armed rider, they might think twice before chucking a beer bottle at my head, or passing with three inches of clearance.

EyeHog

Many times. I've both OC'd an XD and CC'd an airweight. I prefer the airweight while biking, I can put it in a front right pocket and it doesn't really get in the way or weigh too much. Example rides done while carrying the airweight (yay, now you know where I live 0.o): 1 2

Front right pocket of....?

That Garmin tracks just about everything. Very nice.

Tawnos

Front right pocket of....?

That Garmin tracks just about everything. Very nice.
chillyhilly2011.jpg

We bought these pics from marathon photo, so I don't mind using their drafts :) This is my specialized softshell jacket. I have an Oakley and Specialized summer set, plus some other stuff. I can either use a blackhawk nylon holster (similar to uncle mikes) in a pocket or in pants. However, after 30 miles, the IWB gets uncomfortable for hip carry. I'd rather wear a belt over top my lycra with an OWB, or conceal in pocket like I usually do. I'm considering a switch to a handlebar-mounted setup.

Also, the Garmin is f-cking awesome! Worth every penny.

Last edited:

EyeHog

However, after 30 miles, the IWB gets uncomfortable for hip carry. I'd rather wear a belt over top my lycra with an OWB, or conceal in pocket like I usually do. I'm considering a switch to a handlebar-mounted setup.

Hmm, so I may need to just spend some time looking for some different clothing. Most of what I own had open top pockets in the back.

The handlebar mount is intriguing though... I'm not coming up with much on google, may have to piece something together myself.

Tawnos

Hmm, so I may need to just spend some time looking for some different clothing. Most of what I own had open top pockets in the back.

The handlebar mount is intriguing though... I'm not coming up with much on google, may have to piece something together myself.

Open top pockets work. Most jerseys have pockets all the way to the 4-5pm position.

As for handlebar - look into handlebar bags, e.g. Topeak Compact Handlebar bag.

Don Barnett

Belt Holster

I'm not really concerned with the legality of the issue. I posted it here, because if it's legal in multiple states, I might get more input. It's legal in my state, and I'm sure it is in other states. That's not really my question.

I am more interested in tips on how you physically carry the firearm. Where on your person works best, what about on the bike, in your pack, etc. If you're wearing cycling shorts, you can't exactly strap it on your belt.

I wear shorts, with belt loops and a belt holster. I don't have a road bike...it is a Mountain Bike.

RedLegRider

You could try a belly band style holster. They are like a kidney belt. I wear one most of the time with my jeans, no belt, and even strap it on over my sweat pants. Wear a loose fitting shirt or jacket over it. They are comfortable and accessable. I conceal carry most of the time simply because I want to keep the weather and dirt away from my pistol. I'm usually outside.

PavePusher

I am wondering, does anyone or has anyone OC'd or CCW'd on a bike? I don't mean a motorcycle (real bikes have pedals) I mean a bike that you pedal around and is human powered.

I regularly ride a mountain bike, and a road bike, and would like to carry, but have no idea how. I'm hoping there are a few other riders here who do the same thing and am wondering how you go about it. I've though of just putting it in the camel back, but it wouldn't be very accessible there at all. FYI, I wear cycling shorts and a jersey, so just putting on the belt won't work.

What are your thoughts? Surely somebody out there has done this before.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it works for me, both on- and off-road.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ly-figured-it-out-Bicycle-O.C.&highlight=bike

Edit: To view the pictures, I have to Right-click-and-"Save target as" to the desktop, then open them.

Last edited: