• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It may be time to re stock on ammo again

davidmcbeth

Banned
He had an ARSENAL so they reported. A couple of guns is now an arsenal...what a joke. Sensational reporting. 6000 rounds of .223 is nothing. 10 minutes of shooting an M16 on fully auto.

wolfgangmob

He had an ARSENAL so they reported. A couple of guns is now an arsenal...what a joke. Sensational reporting. 6000 rounds of .223 is nothing. 10 minutes of shooting an M16 on fully auto.

You might need a few M16's to run through 6000 rounds in 10 minutes, an M16 barrel will burst before you get through the first thousand rounds if you keep swapping mags immediately after emptying the other one, an M4 can do a bit better but only gives about 100 extra rounds before it suffers a barrel burst. As far as the arsenal idea there was a story around STL where they said a guy has an assault weapon and over 500 rounds of ammo for it, it turned out to be a semi-auto .22 LR and a 525 value pack of .22 LR, I've come to disregard the terms arsenal and assault weapon on TV.

twoskinsonemanns

M16 barrel will burst before you get through the first thousand rounds
an M4 can do a bit better but only gives about 100 extra rounds before it suffers a barrel burst.

Ok... back this up.

The most I've done is 500 rounds in 15 minutes but even though the forward hand guard was so hot I couldn't even touch it without melting skin it gave no signs of bursting and I was still hitting the steel 10" target at 100 yards....

So let's see some back up to your ridiculous claims.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Ain't sure about barrels bursting or other things associated with full auto, but 6,000 rounds ain't even a range trip, unless you are talking only ONE caliber and you have three or four others to take along.

Bout the only thing I own that sees very few rounds is the 336, nice lever gun from the late 70's with a very low round count, shoots better than I can, no reason to put the wear on such a sweet piece of history.

wolfgangmob

Ok... back this up.

The most I've done is 500 rounds in 15 minutes but even though the forward hand guard was so hot I couldn't even touch it without melting skin it gave no signs of bursting and I was still hitting the steel 10" target at 100 yards....

So let's see some back up to your ridiculous claims.

It was determined in a fire to destruction test, it's not ridiculous at all, trying to do 6000 in 10 minutes you will destroy the barrel in the process, in fact it would be impossible to do with a single gun unless it's belt fed just due to the time to reload, even then I doubt many can handle 6000 rounds straight before you start to have the round set off from the heat of the chamber.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33976206/...M4A1-Carbine-and-M16A2-Rifle-Barrels-USA-1996

Last edited:

mechanicworkman

M16A2 Has a cyclic rate of fire 700 up to 900 rounds. But as far as a sustained rate of fire is much much less. Around 13-15 rounds per minute.

wolfgangmob

M16A2 Has a cyclic rate of fire 700 up to 900 rounds. But as far as a sustained rate of fire is much much less. Around 13-15 rounds per minute.

And even reloading every 10 second the testers only managed 180 rounds per minute average with the first M4 tested before running out of ammo and the gun being determined to have a bulged and drooping barrel.

REALteach4u

I'll support you on this one wolfgang. We had a squad gunner that destroyed a SAW barrel with just a pair of belts. Drooped, white hot, and tracers completely visible from the outside going down the barrel. The M16 and lower platforms will not handle sustained fire without having issues. A burst barrel usually occurs when the barrel gets so hot that it droops enough for the round to impact the wall of the barrel, creating that rupture, it's usually preceeded by a melted gas tube that might stop the functioning of the rifle before such a problem occurs, but it's still possible. The 3-shop guys in NC during my last deployment had some interesting damaged barrels in their hands.

Back to the OP!

I'd suggest that you learn to reload and stock up on supplies if you're that concerned with limits on ammo. What should concern us all is that the FBI didn't somehow flag this guy for a 6000 round ammo buy via the internet. Nice to know that if I have 2,000 rounds of 22lr in my possession that I'm a terrorist, but if someone buys 6000 rounds of ammo via the web in a short period of time it doesn't draw any attention at all.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

It was determined in a fire to destruction test, it's not ridiculous at all, trying to do 6000 in 10 minutes you will destroy the barrel in the process, in fact it would be impossible to do with a single gun unless it's belt fed just due to the time to reload, even then I doubt many can handle 6000 rounds straight before you start to have the round set off from the heat of the chamber.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33976206/...M4A1-Carbine-and-M16A2-Rifle-Barrels-USA-1996

Wow. Okay nice documentation. I had no idea the barrel could be over heated (1700 deg F!) so quickly. I guess it's good I can't shoot any faster.

jegoodin

Where to find .45 ACP in bulk with decent prices preferrably for HP. Any certain websites or locations in Kansas City, Missouri perhaps.

www.georgia-arms.com

I buy almost all my ammo there. A stockpile of 6000 rounds isn't much. If you have a range set up in your back yard and do some casual plinking once or twice a week you'd be surprised how quickly you can go thru the stuff. I just ordered 1000 rounds of Georgia Arms "canned heat" in .223, .380, and 9mm each. I keep at least a 1000 rounds each of those and of .45ACP, .40SW, .38sp, .22lr, and 7.62x39 on hand. Lesser amounts of 12ga, 20ga, 9mm mak, .357mag, .25, .32, and .357sig.

Plinking in your backyard regularly should not qualify you for a terrorist watch list.

HYRYSC

Well, my take on the whole thing is this.

Sure, he might have had 6000 rounds, but unless he's build like Hercules, carrying anything more than about 500 rounds is well nigh impossible. Add on a shotty and even 1 bandolier for it, and the ammo supply that you can carry will drop precipitously.

So really the whole ammo thing (like most things that the media drum up) is overblown and simply sensationalism.

Redbaron007

www.georgia-arms.com

I buy almost all my ammo there. A stockpile of 6000 rounds isn't much. If you have a range set up in your back yard and do some casual plinking once or twice a week you'd be surprised how quickly you can go thru the stuff. I just ordered 1000 rounds of Georgia Arms "canned heat" in .223, .380, and 9mm each. I keep at least a 1000 rounds each of those and of .45ACP, .40SW, .38sp, .22lr, and 7.62x39 on hand. Lesser amounts of 12ga, 20ga, 9mm mak, .357mag, .25, .32, and .357sig.

Plinking in your backyard regularly should not qualify you for a terrorist watch list.

I like Georgia-Arms too. Buy most of my 357sig from them. In addition to some 9mm occasionally. :D