• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Virginia GOP Convention?

richarcm

So have we come to a consensus as to whether or not the Coliseum and the VA GOP will allow for us to open carry? Last year it wasn't even remotely an issue at the convention center. Not sure about this year.....

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
So have we come to a consensus as to whether or not the Coliseum and the VA GOP will allow for us to open carry? Last year it wasn't even remotely an issue at the convention center. Not sure about this year.....

Yep.. Open Carry just like last time.

edconvention.jpg

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It seems we owe a debt of gratitude to peter nap for ensuring that there would be no controversy with the Virginia Republican Party this year. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114019-All-hell-is-about-to-break-loose

At the last convention it only took a blue-haired Republican matron in a PSH calling the Party Chairman at around 9PM the night before the convention started to get things straightened out. More's the pity that neither Grapeshot not I had a video camera to capture the look of disappointment on her face when she was told that OC/CC was not only "allowed" but welcomed.

Of course, if the Virginia Seventh Congressional District were hosting the convention it would be a completely different story. ("Thirteen! Thirteen! Thirteen!" Remind me to tell you that story some time. :uhoh: )

stay safe.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I'm not a delegate, but will be at the VCDL table on Saturday. Hope to see many of you.

I am livid that I will be searched upon entry (I wonder if I could convince them I'm not a "patron" as I have no vested interest in the convention at all.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm not a delegate, but will be at the VCDL table on Saturday. Hope to see many of you.

I am livid that I will be searched upon entry (I wonder if I could convince them I'm not a "patron" as I have no vested interest in the convention at all.)

Interesting list of no-no's there - note it does not apply to the media.

TFred

Doesn't say you will be, but you are subject to... I doubt they would have the time or personnel to search everyone, and still have the convention.

So, maybe if you don't shine your laser pointer in the guard's face, you'll be fine... ;)

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Doesn't say you will be, but you are subject to... I doubt they would have the time or personnel to search everyone, and still have the convention.

So, maybe if you don't shine your laser pointer in the guard's face, you'll be fine... ;)

TFred

They did last time.

They also don't define "large" bags - so I'm wondering if my Man-Pack (yes, I know, but I like it) will fall under "backpacks" or "large bags"

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They did last time.

They also don't define "large" bags - so I'm wondering if my Man-Pack (yes, I know, but I like it) will fall under "backpacks" or "large bags"

My guess is they will this time too Tess.
All the high alert BS is contagious.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Any noise making devices" would include operative firearms.

Say, how about Suppressors?

Operative firearms are not included in that category, as their primary intended purpose is not to make noise.

But good manners would indicate the use of suppressors where/when available.

Please advise us as to time and location of entrance so we can get video of the PSH that will likely ensue on discovery of a legal, lawful suppressor.

stay safe.

va_tazdad

But wait,

Operative firearms are not included in that category, as their primary intended purpose is not to make noise.

But good manners would indicate the use of suppressors where/when available.

Please advise us as to time and location of entrance so we can get video of the PSH that will likely ensue on discovery of a legal, lawful suppressor.

stay safe.

Isn't that the "logic" our idiot VP Joe "double barrel" Biden said would save his wife if somebody broke in to his house? "The sound will drive them away."

Are you saying he is wrong, that a double barrel shotgun is not for making noise? How can that be??????? ;>)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Despite searching bags I think there will be a very good OC turnout. Friday is registration and later the real arm twisting parties. Should be an enjoyable day.