• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lake Mead National Recreation inaccurate firearm sign

28kfps

As most all ready know as of early 2010 guns are allowed in all but about 20 of the 392 locations the National Park Service governs, including Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, Great Smoky Mountains and Rocky Mountain National Park.

Firearms will be prohibited in visitors' centers and park rangers' offices because of a separate law banning guns in buildings where federal employees work. Nothing would prohibit the carrying of weapons into hotels, restaurants and other facilities in the parks operated by private companies.

David Barna, chief of public affairs for the National Park Service, said the laws are now the same inside and outside of the park gates.

"The law doesn't change when you enter a park," Barna said. "What you see in the parks shouldn't be any different than what you see outside the park."

With the above info a few weeks back I was on a motorcycle camping trip at Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mojave which is part of the Lake Mead National recreation area. On my motorcycle a south paw the person taking the park fee has a birds eyes view of my firearm and as in the past never said a word and very friendly. After paying a fee to enter an area my taxes already pay for I headed for the campground and rode past a sing saying loaded firearms prohibitive.

I e-mailed the Lake Mead National Recreation headquarters and got a reply asking for info on the location of the sign and thanked me for helping them track down the inaccurate sign.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I am assuming that you are talking about the brown signs, I inquired about those signs immediately after the law changed, and was informed that those signs were purposed for hunting.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've also recently heard that there are signs up to the effect that firearms are prohibited. I remember when the signs came down, and am thinking that perhaps someone has taken it upon themselves to put up new signs. I've recently been told about signs on the NV side and signs on the AZ side headed to Willow Beach. I should take a ride and see what's up.

28kfps

I am assuming that you are talking about the brown signs, I inquired about those signs immediately after the law changed, and was informed that those signs were purposed for hunting.

I do not remember if the sign also said no hunting. However it is inaccurate with the loaded guns prohibited. Got another email today and they said they would take care of it.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion

Must be a federal bureaucratic thing.... IF you are wanting a sign to communicate "NO HUNTING" it makes perfect sense to have one that says "NO LOADED FIREARMS"!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Must be a federal bureaucratic thing.... IF you are wanting a sign to communicate "NO HUNTING" it makes perfect sense to have one that says "NO LOADED FIREARMS"!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I grew up here. For decades, before the laws changed to allow firearms possession in full accordance with state laws, there were two different signs you would see throughout the park. The first one said that loaded weapons were prohibited. The other, in certain places would say "Hunting area, no target shooting." Loaded firearms were allowed in this area, at least during legal hunting as parts of the park were open to hunting.

The point is that it is obviously within their abilities and responsibilities to have accurate signage for the specific notification.

NAVYBLUE

Thanks for the reminder with this post. Last year wife and I went to Temple Bar marina for a ride and hike at the same time as the former LEO in CA was on the run after killing a couple of people. As we approached the ranger station/parking lot I noticed the "No firearms past this point". I went in (unarmed) and spoke to Ranger Rick (actually Ranger Rachel) about the no firearms sign. She was quite nervous and eyed me looking for CC. I told her I know not to bring a weapon into the ranger station. She said they have all been nervous about the escaped LEO as he had a Las Vegas connection.

Anyways told her about the sign and she said they were in the process of having all of them removed. These posts remind me I need to email then about this specific sign as I do "trust" bureaccrats.

NAVYBLUE