• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Freedom of information request?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You didn't say that phrase (second class citizen) but your post was not exactly a welcome mat either.

I know (as do we all) that P4P is your hot topic button, but I don't think that was at issue here at all.

The point I'm trying to make is that for many people, especially those new to carrying guns, the distinction between OC and CC is fine at best, and for many I would suggest non-existent, at least until they have a chance to learn more.

I also believe you hurt your own cause by referring concealed carry questions to other more concealed carry oriented boards, because we all know that they are likely to hear only pro-cc type rhetoric there, as opposed to what is usually a fairly balanced dialog here.

Again, JMHO. :)

TFred

Your opinion is always welcome and highly regarded TFred.
I really didn't hurt my case I don't think. Besides, it isn't my case. I just happen to be one of those that still talks about it.

jtrider

I for one did not know about open carry until after I had gotten my CHP. Not many open carry here on the Eastern Shore. I learned about it after finding this site. Personally I believe you should not need a permit to carry period (constitutional carry). However until that is passed in VA I'll keep the option to conceal available to me.
:uhoh:.

This describes me and about five people I know. Sometimes I cover it up, sometimes I let 'er hang out there. Its mine, and I'll do with it as I please and the law allows.

I don't feel I owe an explanation or an apology. I didn't sign up here to limit my options.

TFred

Your opinion is always welcome and highly regarded TFred.
I really didn't hurt my case I don't think. Besides, it isn't my case. I just happen to be one of those that still talks about it.
Thanks.

Cause, not case... I think some of those CC forums really take a dim view of OC, so I don't think it helps the OC cause to send someone to read over there. They might just get themselves 'doctrinated or something... :)

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks.

Cause, not case... I think some of those CC forums really take a dim view of OC, so I don't think it helps the OC cause to send someone to read over there. They might just get themselves 'doctrinated or something... :)

TFred

I don't have a cause TFred. I've been on both sides of that fence. I carried long before shall issue, had a permit until I got tired of licensing myself and let it expire. Never looked back.

I am simply a long time gun owner and activist that feels like many others. CHP is fine as long as it doesn't erode the basic right to carry.
This site is full of CHPpers that also believe in the basic right. You can't ask for more than that.

OTOH, you'd be amazed in the amount of diverse opinions from other gun owners in the state. I've talked to hundreds this year and some are downright scary. One had a fit last year because he didn't think anyone should carry in National Parks. He was a CHP BTW.

VDOF is a good example. The number of CHP people that have been active in that fight is disappointing.

There is a very disturbing dark side to the argument though. I don't want to discuss that on an open forum so PM me if you haven't figured it out already.

celticredneck

I didn't mean to sound like it was a false post, I meant fishy as in something isn't right. Deputies don't usually call to have people prove there isn't a felony warrant outstanding. They just note it and send it to the Judge to decline.

Yeah, others post CHP questions and I usually say something about it. It isn't my board though and others here don't seem to mind, including the owners.

30 year old system or not, the Clerk is responsible and if his Deputy Clerks don't do their job, it's time to hold him/her accountable.

Mike gave the best advice. Let the Judge order a copy of the warrant and disposal.

Sorry I misunderstood your first comment, Peter. I do hope you can see why I feel this is related to any form of carry, and I posted it here, hoping to hear from any of my fellow VCDL members. I think that the big problem is that the county deputy who is the one doing the background checks ran into more than just a simple "clean record or not a clean record" case and isn't willing to do the extra work involved in completing the check. So he simply told my relative to finish his job. The same county sheriff's office tried the same thing when I got my CHP, because I was charged with a misdemeanor 34 years ago. That was simple to resolve, by sending them a copy of the application with the part about misdemeanors within the last 5 years highlighted.

As for the juvenile thing, she was charged as an adult, which was very common during that time in North Carolina. One of the problems is that since it was Nolle Prossed, the records might have been moved to juvenile court after that ruling. At any rate, if the application is rejected next wee, we will file a
request for an Ore Tenus hearing. .

The deputy called her today and requested that she "sign off on her application and resubmit it when more information is available. The records clerk finally responded to calls and said that she did not receive the faxed request for the case records. Today she requested a $3.00 processing fee and a self addressed stamped envelope be sent to her. It remains to be seen what the records will show. But the application will be resubmitted as soon as the information is received. I apologize for starting a CC vs OC war here. I carry both ways depending on the situation. I'm not one to invite being question or detained by the police, and I have a few relatives who are a bit anti, so I conceal around them

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry I misunderstood your first comment, Peter. I do hope you can see why I feel this is related to any form of carry, and I posted it here, hoping to hear from any of my fellow VCDL members. I think that the big problem is that the county deputy who is the one doing the background checks ran into more than just a simple "clean record or not a clean record" case and isn't willing to do the extra work involved in completing the check. So he simply told my relative to finish his job. The same county sheriff's office tried the same thing when I got my CHP, because I was charged with a misdemeanor 34 years ago. That was simple to resolve, by sending them a copy of the application with the part about misdemeanors within the last 5 years highlighted.

As for the juvenile thing, she was charged as an adult, which was very common during that time in North Carolina. One of the problems is that since it was Nolle Prossed, the records might have been moved to juvenile court after that ruling. At any rate, if the application is rejected next wee, we will file a
request for an Ore Tenus hearing. .

Sorry, this moved way over in left field:banghead:

Unless you can call the Clerk directly and get it looked at, have your relative ask her judge to get the disposition of the case and continue the hearing until it's received.

The only other thing I can think of is to take a drive to NC and do it yourselves. If you go that route, make sure to get certified copies.

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
I recall getting an Alert a week or so ago including an invitation from one of the Republican Committees, inviting VCDL and anyone legally carrying with a CHP, to attend.
I didn't see VCDL declining the invitation either, although I did.

Let's be clear here. Are you referring to the following? If so, did you overlook the bolded, red part?

6. Cantor to speak at pro-gun Goochland Republican rally at Orapax on October 16th
Here's another chance to ask Eric Cantor some questions about his stand on the Second Amendment and his use of anti-gun Snag A Job Pavilion for his Republican Roundup fundraiser every year.
This location welcomes open or concealed carry. (Non-CHP holders being welcomed was clarified in another email not shown below).
Ben Slone emailed me this:
--

Philip,
On behalf of Tom Dykers of Orapax and the Goochland County Republican Committee, please extend an invitation to all VCDL members to attend the Goochland Republican Rally at Orapax on October 16th. As mentioned below, as two years before (and every year) at the event, and in accordance with the Goochland County Republican Committee resolutions, Citizens with a permit to carry a concealed handgun are very welcome.
The Goochland County Republican Committee Invites You to the 2010 Goochland Republican Rally
---------with Special Guest---------
Congressman Eric Cantor
Let's Restore Conservative Principles to Washington!
Saturday, October 16, 2010 11:30am - 1:30pm
Orapax Farm 3835 River Road West Goochland
3.1 miles West of the Goochland Admin. Building (the old high school) on Route 6
Hosted by Tom Dykers
CHP Welcome
Please RSVP to:
Facebook: Goochland Republican Committee
Email: goochlandgop@gmail.com Website: www.goochlandgop.com
Paid for by the Goochland County Republican Committee

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Let's be clear here. Are you referring to the following? If so, did you overlook the bolded, red part?

That's the one and I didn't overlook the bold print.
I took them at their word on the first email though.

Kinda like the old joke about you and your lovely wife coming to dinner and later saying "why don't you bring your ugly sister too".

They went out of their way on the original invitation to only include CHP's. Whatever made them change their mind was not sincere, just window dressing.
I'm sure it doesn't show but my tolerance level has reached a negative scale lately.

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
That's the one and I didn't overlook the bold print.
I took them at their word on the first email though.

Kinda like the old joke about you and your lovely wife coming to dinner and later saying "why don't you bring your ugly sister too".

They went out of their way on the original invitation to only include CHP's. Whatever made them change their mind was not sincere, just window dressing.
I'm sure it doesn't show but my tolerance level has reached a negative scale lately.
Well, I prefer to take Philip at his word, when he says they welcome open or concealed carry.