• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Open Carry Bill HB 517 - Passed House Criminal Justice Subcommittee

~*'Phoenix'*~

And props to Mr. Julien, a democrat who voted in favor for it! I don't know much else about him, or the rest of the committee either, but I'm always glad to see reasonable representatives in both parties. I really didn't expect him to support it.

j4l

"Dorworth said his bill is only intended to protect licensed concealed-weapons carriers who inadvertently show their weapons."

Full stop. Hold it right there, wtf? Is this what we signed on for?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
"Dorworth said his bill is only intended to protect licensed concealed-weapons carriers who inadvertently show their weapons."

Don't confuse what is said in committee debate for legal requirements.

77zach

That's also what Marion Hammer said and Senator Evers intimated. However, if you read the bill, it clearly says you may carry openly.

Probably an attempt to make it more palatable. If this aspect of the bill is overemphasized, I'm nervous about a future committee amending it to say only that accidental exposure is not a crime. Watch for it.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
That's also what Marion Hammer said and Senator Evers intimated. However, if you read the bill, it clearly says you may carry openly.

Probably an attempt to make it more palatable. If this aspect of the bill is overemphasized, I'm nervous about a future committee amending it to say only that accidental exposure is not a crime. Watch for it.

They tried that already. The word "accidental" or "unintentional" is subjective language that has no place in this law.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Yes... "accidental" sounds like something that can only be decided in a court - a place none of us want to end up. The only way you really can protect from truly accidental exposure is to simply make all normal exposure legal.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Campus Carry killed in this bill as well, for the record.

Let the dirty hippies get robbed/raped/killed.

If parents hate their own college brats this much, let them reap what they sow.

The LEOs already brought up one example of what gun bans cause, and used it an an excuse to persist in gun bans...

Herp-a-derp!

77zach

Let the dirty hippies get robbed/raped/killed.

If parents hate their own college brats this much, let them reap what they sow.

The LEOs already brought up one example of what gun bans cause, and used it an an excuse to persist in gun bans...

Herp-a-derp!

No chance was given to defend campus carry. It should have probably been in a separate bill/different time in all honesty. I remember when I was at UCF the attempts to keep the crime reports quiet. What the enemy says is fairly accurate; that the campuses themselves are not more dangerous than, say, a shopping mall. The incessant muggings, rapes, gang bang rapes, B&E's, kidnappings, brutal murders, etc, happened just OUTSIDE campus. What nobody for the bill got to point out was that people are necessarily disarmed AROUND campus, by virtue of the IN campus gun ban. Yes, a non-student can't get in trouble for the gun in a glovebox, but a student can. Regardless many people walk, bike, or take school shuttles. And so when the girl gets off the shuttle to her apartment, that is when the local diversity sneaks up behind her, forces into the apartment, calls his buddies, and then rapes and tortures for hours.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
No chance was given to defend campus carry. It should have probably been in a separate bill/different time in all honesty. I remember when I was at UCF the attempts to keep the crime reports quiet. What the enemy says is fairly accurate; that the campuses themselves are not more dangerous than, say, a shopping mall. The incessant muggings, rapes, gang bang rapes, B&E's, kidnappings, brutal murders, etc, happened just OUTSIDE campus. What nobody for the bill got to point out was that people are necessarily disarmed AROUND campus, by virtue of the IN campus gun ban. Yes, a non-student can't get in trouble for the gun in a glovebox, but a student can. Regardless many people walk, bike, or take school shuttles. And so when the girl gets off the shuttle to her apartment, that is when the local diversity sneaks up behind her, forces into the apartment, calls his buddies, and then rapes and tortures for hours.

My policy - "Stick my Kel Tec in my pocket, screw those who want me dead. I'm not hurting anyone. The gun ban is. Ignore it."

I realize that refusing to sit in the back of the bus has it's risks. I'm not promoting that others should do as I do.

Kingfish

My policy - "Stick my Kel Tec in my pocket, screw those who want me dead. I'm not hurting anyone. The gun ban is. Ignore it."

I realize that refusing to sit in the back of the bus has it's risks. I'm not promoting that others should do as I do.
Ixtow, you are missing the point of "sitting in the back of the bus". Rosa Parks did what she did as an OPEN defiant act. Carrying a pistol in your pocket is in no way the same.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
After that goes to Gov. to sign? Or am I being premature on this?

Then to Senate Rules and House Judiciary Committees;

Then to the Senate and House Floors for wide debate and votes;

Then to Bill Enrolling to be sent to the Gov.